Board index Equipment Scanners scanning to make prints from positives

Scanners

scanning to make prints from positives

hayduke67

scanning to make prints from positives

Post Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:02 am

Hi All,

Someone kind has offered to make some prints for me on a really big pro model epson printer, the kind that has its own stand and can make large prints. i have to send a cd with images and will not have much in the way of trial and error. My question is this, i can scan up to 4000 dpi, making the files around 100mb, is this bigger than necessary? I'm a little confused about input resolution and output and well, a few other things, i appreciate any help.

many thanks,
Jay

castledude

Post Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:05 pm

There are some variables here that you need to decide...

For an "Art Print" ... Something that can be looked at carefully and up close you will want 200 ppi or better for a big print.

For a display print ... something that is intended to been seen from a normal viewing distance you can get away with less (120 ppi is probably fine).

For advertising (really long distance) you can even go smaller.

----------------
PPI = Pixels per inch. For the final output. DPI can have variable meanings.

So it depends on the final result you want. If you can I would make up a test print. Pick up some pics from the net or here and stitch them together in various resolutions. Have them printed and them put them at the viewing distance you expect the picture to be placed. See what is acceptable to you.

http://www.ltlimagery.com/essentialscanningservice.htm

Has some reasonable charts but they are for 35mm, if you are shooting another size you will need to scale accordingly.

----------------------------------
FYI (Disclaimer) I am not endorsing the above scanning/printing site I just like their chart. I have never used them.

Board index Equipment Scanners scanning to make prints from positives