Board index Equipment Scanners Color Tone in autoexposure on negative 35 mm

Scanners

Color Tone in autoexposure on negative 35 mm

thobbe

Color Tone in autoexposure on negative 35 mm

Post Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:23 pm

Hi!
1. I just bought me an EPSON 4990 which I find excellent in many ways but I have one major concern after solving all the other issues with some help from EPSON support: The color tone chosen by the autoexposure.
It is also when comparing on various screens too much red (I think I have Fuji color negatives so far in my tests), at least that correction, reducing the red will satisfies my eyes.
EPSON says I should compensate this myself using the adjustments possible in EPSON scan, which is of course possible. But in some way I thought that the auto function would get a bit nearer the true color. But other software like Vuescan comes with settings for different brands of negative film. I am now in the initial phases of scanning all of the 35 mm films and I want to set the methods right before starting.
Anybody having any tips of how to calibrate the set up to have some fairly good defaults speeding up the scanning job? Or do I have to judge myself entirely what is true color tones?

2. The settings I have come to are: 300 dpi, target size 1000% (a bit larger than A4 or Letter). 24 bit color, JPEG with relatively high quality resulting in files of about 1,8 MB.
Any comments?

3. I compared a full non-compressed TIFF of 32 MB with a JPEG of about 1,8 MB, on the screeen in large magnification and they were hard to tell apart. Do I need to save also TIFF uncompressed originals?
I want the archive copy to be good enough for future views by the kids without having to adjust the color.

Best Regards Thobbe

Board index Equipment Scanners Color Tone in autoexposure on negative 35 mm