Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Canon 50D or Canon 5D Mark2?

Digital Cameras

Canon 50D or Canon 5D Mark2?

pattyroth

Canon 50D or Canon 5D Mark2?

Post Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:46 pm

I have a Canon 20D and a Rebel XTi for a backup camera. I mostly take travel photos (Tanzania, Morocco, the Amish...) and am wondering which camera would be the next best step for me. Does anyone have experience with either of these two, the 50D or the 5D mark2 or with both of them. Any opinions are appreciated. My photos are posted at www.pbase.com/pattyroth. I have an upcoming trip to Israel and would like to get a camera before then. Thanks!

akmc_in_au

Re: Canon 50D or Canon 5D Mark2?

Post Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:21 am

pattyroth wrote:I have a Canon 20D and a Rebel XTi for a backup camera. I mostly take travel photos (Tanzania, Morocco, the Amish...) and am wondering which camera would be the next best step for me. Does anyone have experience with either of these two, the 50D or the 5D mark2 or with both of them. Any opinions are appreciated. My photos are posted at http://www.pbase.com/pattyroth. I have an upcoming trip to Israel and would like to get a camera before then. Thanks!

Unfortunately I can't give you any first hand experience (those models, particularly the 5D Mk II, are so new that there won't be many who can), though I'd suggest adding one thing to your question which may help people give you a better answer; which lenses are you planning to use with it? Unfortunately you don't have any EXIF in your galleries (not the ones that I looked at anyway), so there's no way of knowing. Since the 5D is a full frame, and the 50D is a 1.6x crop, it's a factor to consider. Both of your existing cameras are cropped, so you'll lose a fair amount of reach with your zooms if you buy a 5D. (Needless to say you can also forget about any EF-S lenses that you may have.)

However one thing about the 50D is that Canon has changed the chassis from Magnesium Alloy + Stainless Steel in the 40D to Stainless Steel + polycarbonate with glass fibre in the 50D. I don't see the result as being a more robust camera. Most of the time it probably won't matter, but it may to you if you're doing travel photography in which the camera may get knocked around a lot more.

(I've no plans to upgrade from the 40D to the 50D; I don't see it as being a sufficient step up, but obviously it's a much bigger step from a 20D.)

pattyroth

Post Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:39 pm

Thanks, Alan. I didn't post my lenses since I'm not sure that I want my decision to rest on that. But I do have the Canon 100-400 IS, 50 1.4, 10-22, 17-85 IS, 70-300 IS DO, and Tamron 90. So I would lose one for sure. But I would still have my old camera to use them with. I just want to be sure that the extra $ 1000 + for the 5D Mark 2 would be worth it for me. Patty

snappingturtle

Post Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:52 pm

Hi,

I would say that the 50D is a better upgrade based on what you are experienced with. The 5D and its MK II successor are totally different machines. If you like consistency with what you are used to, the 50D is the way to go unless you are willing to give your equipment and shooting style an overhaul.

For travel, both would do fine. One has more resolution and the other has better speed. Of coarse 21 megapixels is nice, but 10-15 is already plenty for large size poster blowups. With your EF-S lenses you should be all set from the start and not need full frame. The 17-85mm in my opinion is the best walk around lens.

For my experience, I used to have the 5D. It served me well for two years and I loved it. But my new situation calls for more speed and responsiveness. So I gave it up for the 50D, which I used with my 1D Mark III.

I would also say don't take your eye away from the 40D either. It's only slightly behind the 50D, and at a bargain price at this time.

Hugh

pattyroth

Post Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:06 pm

Wow! Hugh, thanks! That is very helpful. I didn't realize the two cameras were really that different. Sounds like I could be content with the 50D or the 40D. I also take photos at friends's kids weddings--not as the wedding photographer but taking loads of candids and personal shots for them. Recently took hundreds at a three-day Indian wedding. Patty

intermon

Post Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:10 am

I have gone from a Rebel XT to a 30D and now to a 5DmkII. From the point of view of controls and handling, I found the transition from the XT to the 30D to be quite a jump. The transition from the 30D to the 5DmkII I found fairly easy. Obviously from a lens selection point of view, the 5DmkII is in a totally different class. You cannot use EF-S lenses on a full-frame camera, and if you want to get full benefit from the 5DmkII, "L" class lenses or equivalent are a must ($$$).
The 40/50d would allow you to continue to use EF-S lenses which are smaller, lighter, and cheaper, and I imagine you probably already have some. For your application, you may be better off with the 40 or 50d (faster shooting, smaller files, lighter, cheaper, etc). The 5DmkII, like its predecessor the 5D, is probably more suited for someone who's had considerable 35mm SLR experience and may be somewhat uncomfortable with the effect of a crop sensor on lens characteristics. I haven't had my 5DmkII for more than a week so I can't give you much information on it so far. But somehow I don't think I'll be using it much for snapshots (larger, heavier camera/lens combination). I hope this helps.
I do have a few shots from the 5DmkII at http://www.pbase.com/intermon, if you're curious.

pattyroth

Post Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:51 am

Thank you so much! And could you please update me as you use it more! I checked your photos and boy, they are clear! Hmmmmm. My photos are at www.pbase.com/pattyroth

garyviveiros

Post Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:51 pm

I recently purchased a Canon 5D Mark II.

I did a lot of research on the various cameras available on the market including Nikon's best choices (I am a past owner of a Nikon D70).

The 5D Mark II was rated highest on the market with praise from everyone.
My feeling is with them. It is an outstanding camera, well worth the higher cost than the 50D.

You will not be disappointed. Be sure to also use a good lense on your trip, may I suggest at least a 28mm

-gary viveiros

milivista

Post Wed May 27, 2009 4:18 am

5D mark II sure better than 50D
Photographer from Viet Nam. I'm Milivista!
I hope I will public Viet Nam' life to the world through my photos!

myPortfolio:
http://raysoda.com/milivista
http://www.flickr.com/photos/35699574@N03/

hiero

Post Wed May 27, 2009 9:07 am

Hi Patty,

the change from xxD to XD inmplies full frame.

The main advantages of that are:
- less noise (in my experience 1-2 stops compared to the 40d); the pixel density of the 50D is almost double that of the 5DII
- ability to shoot really wide landscapes at 12 mm (e.g. with Sigma 12-24) instead of 16 (10-22 on 1.6 crop camera)
- ability to shoot with (even) shallower dof

With the 5dII specifically your hae the ability to crop more, although the difference is not that large: 18% for the 5DII compared to the 50D

This all comes at a cost in form of:
- more expensive camera (and to some extent lenses as well)
- weight (though not substantial)
- much larger file sizes (with the 5DII at least), that might require new memory cards and more internal memory and hard disk space in your computer

I work a lot with both 40D and 5DII. In terms of handling there is almost no difference. The 5DII is supposed to be a better sealed, which could be an advantage when travelling in dusty or damp conditions.

My advise would be to think about what will be your main photographic disciplines for the coming 3 years and decide what set up (body+lenses) matches that the best.

Cheers,
Jeroen
Jeroen Bosman, glad to be on Pbase
http://www.pbase.com/hiero

sullyc5er

Post Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:03 am

I went from 10D to 40D to 5D and now the 5DII, which is the best camera of that group.

This is a 100% crop
Another 100% Crop

Good for wildlife.

Good for kids

landscape too

Sports

chrisj46

Post Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:51 pm

If you have the money I would say go for the mark 2 otherwise the Canon 50d is still an impressive camera and has the potential to take some impressive photos. Either Camera will be a nice upgrade.

http://www.cameta.com/Canon-EOS-50D-Dig ... -36500.cfm

milchmann

Post Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:32 am

I you can wait so long, you might want to have a look a what Canon will present in autumn.
Some rumors can be found here: http://www.canonrumors.com/ and I know from a good friend that Canon will present a successor to the 50d around the Photokina at the end of September.

kareem_soliman

Post Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:50 am

canon 5d mark 2 is more better than the 50d
also the 50d has alot of noise on its iso 400

Next

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Canon 50D or Canon 5D Mark2?