Board index PBase PaD Discussion Soliciting popularity

PaD Discussion

Soliciting popularity

discuss photo-a-day projects
jypsee

Re: bartering

Post Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:45 pm

AFAIK, there's no actual "bartering" for votes (well. there probably is, but I'm not aware of it). What happens is that folks who do the voting seem to have to tell the recipient that they've voted for their (recipients) photo. Usually they leave "V" on "GMV" or the actual word "vote" on the comment line. It's human nature to return the favor.

If this were actually a site devoted to identifying good photography, the pops would be titled as such.

papajim_48306 wrote:I will admit to loyalty to those who commented favorably on my images but not to bartering for comments and votes.

djwixx

Re: bartering

Post Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:15 pm

jypsee wrote:AFAIK, there's no actual "bartering" for votes (well. there probably is, but I'm not aware of it). What happens is that folks who do the voting seem to have to tell the recipient that they've voted for their (recipients) photo. Usually they leave "V" on "GMV" or the actual word "vote" on the comment line. It's human nature to return the favor.

If this were actually a site devoted to identifying good photography, the pops would be titled as such.

papajim_48306 wrote:I will admit to loyalty to those who commented favorably on my images but not to bartering for comments and votes.

For some reason I'm in the habit of never commemting whether I've voted or not. A comment doesn't mean a vote, but it is unlikely I'll vote without a comment, but they don't go hand in hand. I would guess I probably vote on 5-10% of the pictures I view and certainy don't respond with votes if someone has been king enough to do so for me. Generally the voting system works but I can also see situations where there seems to be a large number of votes for prolific commenters and voters. Either way works as it maintains the feedback which keeps people encouraged, but I certainly wouldn't take commenting and voting as indicative of a good shot, although obviously good shots tend to float to the top over time.

barbara_heide

Post Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:38 pm

sbbish wrote:Microsoft and Disney are working together with a newly compiled PBase Vote Tracing Program that tracks everyone who votes for the following image.

http://www.pbase.com/image/81498279

It does this through a unique IP (Internet Protocol) address log book database when you are logged in through your PBase account. They are experimenting with this and need your help. When you vote for this image, Microsoft can, and will, track it for a 30-day time period.

If, by the end of that time period, the image has reached Number 1 in the Popular Photos, everyone who voted will receive a voucher from Microsoft worth a free year's subscription to PBase.

If the vote total for the image reaches 13,000 votes, 1,300 of the people who voted will receive $5,000, and the rest will receive a free trip for two to Disney World for one week.

Vote for this image and pass along the info to all your friends.

http://www.pbase.com/image/81498279

this is called a hoax isn't it?
Barbara

andrys

Post Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:11 am

barbara_heide wrote:

this is called a hoax isn't it?
Barbara

Have you looked at what the image "is called" ?

It's a light clue :-)

kinginexile

Post Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:49 pm

I prefer a commentary to a vote. If only because from my own side, I often do not have the reflex of voting on every image or gallery I liked and wrote so.

It would be nice to see some of my galleries reasonably registering in the populars, but in the end, this is virtual stuff, what's left are the friendships formed belonging to a site, and the encouragements provided by the human touch of someone writing a few words under your pix. In 20 to 25 years, we will see which Pbase photographers have made a mark on the medium (photography that is, not internet).

Also: maybe I am old-schooled, but as I learn more about it, it seems that the print is half of the photographic craft/art. Just look how people are proud to tell us when the pix has been printed, has taken a life out of the www ether.

horsegoggles

Post Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:39 am

To me, Pbase is kinda like life in general. I look at what I want to look at. I ignore something if it offends me. The "Block" feature allows me to block email from folks who are looking for a fight, or just want to be rude. I've only had to use it once in two years, and that was for someone with a temporary account without any pictures posted. I really enjoy looking at other peoples photos, and enjoy communicating back and forth with some regular visitors. I also enjoy visitor's comments. If I didn't enjoy Pbase I wouldn't stay. I see I've used the word "enjoy" several times, that is the operative word for me I guess.

Don

Previous

Board index PBase PaD Discussion Soliciting popularity