Board index PBase PaD Discussion Soliciting popularity

PaD Discussion

Soliciting popularity

discuss photo-a-day projects
wakenphotography

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:48 pm

I totally agree. I like the friendships I make on pbase, and I vote on images that I personnally like and want others to see.

Anyhow, it's impossible to view all images being uploaded to pbase, it's a shame the voting has turned away from it's original purpose.

:wink:

petem

Post Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:29 am

OMG - can't believe someone would send an PM that lame... And that gallery DID hit #1 :x

sbbish

Post Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:34 pm

Microsoft and Disney are working together with a newly compiled PBase Vote Tracing Program that tracks everyone who votes for the following image.

http://www.pbase.com/image/81498279

It does this through a unique IP (Internet Protocol) address log book database when you are logged in through your PBase account. They are experimenting with this and need your help. When you vote for this image, Microsoft can, and will, track it for a 30-day time period.

If, by the end of that time period, the image has reached Number 1 in the Popular Photos, everyone who voted will receive a voucher from Microsoft worth a free year's subscription to PBase.

If the vote total for the image reaches 13,000 votes, 1,300 of the people who voted will receive $5,000, and the rest will receive a free trip for two to Disney World for one week.

Vote for this image and pass along the info to all your friends.

http://www.pbase.com/image/81498279

rileypm

Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:38 am

I am buying multiple subscriptions to pbase so that I can vote again and again to better my chances at winning!

clickaway

Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:11 am

I'm only going to photograph cute fluffy ducks from now on, so vote for me! :wink:

daanstringer

Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:32 am

bobfloyd wrote:I completely agree with you Michael. I have long since stopped voting for anyone who appears to be soliciting my vote. For that matter, I don't even comment in that situation anymore.

I think we all would like to have more views, comments and votes. However, if asking for them is what it takes then I think that just cheapens it.

hmmm, yesterday i wrote someone whose work i highly appreciate, and asked if he would like to visit my galleries and give some comments. Now i'm wondering is that a bad thing to do.. I'm not asking for votes, but for honest feedback (which can be much more critical than most of the comments are on pbase). It's a way of growing in your work. In asking him this i am just honoust and directly. Hope he doesn't felt spammed :-(

and in the meanwhile, come all of you visit my galleries and vote for me! :-) LOL

djwixx

Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:24 pm

daanstringer wrote:
bobfloyd wrote:I completely agree with you Michael. I have long since stopped voting for anyone who appears to be soliciting my vote. For that matter, I don't even comment in that situation anymore.

I think we all would like to have more views, comments and votes. However, if asking for them is what it takes then I think that just cheapens it.

hmmm, yesterday i wrote someone whose work i highly appreciate, and asked if he would like to visit my galleries and give some comments. Now i'm wondering is that a bad thing to do.. I'm not asking for votes, but for honest feedback (which can be much more critical than most of the comments are on pbase). It's a way of growing in your work. In asking him this i am just honoust and directly. Hope he doesn't felt spammed :-(

and in the meanwhile, come all of you visit my galleries and vote for me! :-) LOL

There's a slight difference between asking for feedback and telling people that if you don't vote their mother will die!!!!! :lol:

daanstringer

Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:43 pm

LOL @ djwixx!

bobfloyd

Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:58 pm

daanstringer wrote:

I have no problem with being asked to visit someone's gallery and offer a critical opinion on their work. I do get those requests from time to time and I try to oblige as much as possible. I have, however, received requests to visit, comment and "if you like my work please vote." Those requests go directly in the rubbish bin, do not pass go and do not collect $200.

pegsam

Post Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:00 am

daanstringer wrote:hmmm, yesterday i wrote someone whose work i highly appreciate, and asked if he would like to visit my galleries and give some comments. Now i'm wondering is that a bad thing to do.. I'm not asking for votes, but for honest feedback (which can be much more critical than most of the comments are on pbase). It's a way of growing in your work. In asking him this i am just honoust and directly. Hope he doesn't felt spammed :-(

I don't think you should feel bad about your request because you are asking for constructive feedback, and not a popularity vote. And I would feel pretty good about receiving such a request from another PBaser. I haven't had the "pleasure" of a solicited vote, although it sounds like this will come in due time. :roll:

As far as solicitation goes, I guess I am guilty of asking people to stop by and visit my galleries. After reading this thread I am less inclined to do so in the future.

So how does one go about attracting viewers to your galleries? :?: :?: :?:

(And please notice that I did not ask to have you stop by a visit my galleries) :lol:

texces

Post Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:26 am

I've not been asked to do that but would think that is a wrong thing to do. I do sometimes ask folks to check out my work or have a link to another new gallery but it is for feedback or to share the excitement of a shot that I got. But, I would hope that folks don't think it is asking for a vote. That is rude and unbelieveable. Takes a lot of gall to do that and who cares if you end up at number one! The more I peruse new galleries, the more great photographers I see. I do have folks who I visit daily but I also check out other's galleries that aren't considered "popular" and those are usually the best work! I learn a lot from everyone and rarely even check out the popular galleries because a lot of the ones on top are not that great. I've seen a few that I would consider worthy of it but it is just that...mostly a popularity contest. I have made great friends here and just try to ignore the ones that expect votes. Just my two cents...

azlin

Post Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:01 pm

I received this very unsophisticated message out of the blue from this person to tell me about his 2 new galleries:

"Just in case you have not come accross yet, I'd be thankful if you find time to look into these two galleries and please feel free to leave COMMENT and VOTE any photo you like. Thanks in advance for you support."

It was so shameless that I could not be bothered to even visit his link. I appreciate it when people keep me updated on their new projects, but if you're told to COMMENT and VOTE (in caps!!!), it's a total turn off...

djwixx

Post Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:03 pm

This was a reply I got to my question about how many pictures were sold and how much money was raised for the 'foundation'. I let you decide on the original intention and whether the response clears up any confusion.

" Hi Mr. Wixx,

My apology for the late reply. I've been extremely busy at work.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your time and consideration.

I am very happy that everyone was appreciative of the Cheetah, the animal, not the photos. I am just a learning photographer, so I will not say my photos are great or even close to being near the standard that so many artists on Pbase have shown.

I think there is a misunderstanding with my previous letter. My intention is to see if there is a demand for my photos and if there is, then, I will sell and contribute the money to the foundation in San Diego Wild Animal Park:
http://www.sandiegozoo.org/calendar/wap ... afari.html This is where I shot my Cheetah photos and I was so touched by the animal and the workers that works so hard for the cause that I felt I need to lend a hand somehow.
I'm not a salesman or anything, but, when I am concern about something, I will want to do my best to help.

I tried my best to be clear with my wordings, but, I guess there is still a bit of "lost in translation."

I did not mean to send an un-ivited letter to you, but, rather, it was a message to raise awareness and to bring attention to the Cheetahs. When I was online, I spotted your great photos and so I wanted to have an opinion from an accomplished photographer. It doesn't make sense for me to ask for an opinion from an amateur, right? When I saw how great your photos are, I couldn't resist and have to ask if there is a chance the photos can be sold if I was planning to sell them. I have nothing to prove nor do I want to be in the spotlight. Photography is my new hobby and it provides a voice for me to share with others. Pbase have given me a good chance to learn and understand what it means to be a great photographer. The bottom line, it is not how great the photographer shoots, it's how he/she captures the moment.

I am very touched that so many can see how beautiful the Cheetahs are. It makes me feel happy. To me, that is all I'm after, the ability to share photos to those that cannot see them within their vicinity. I will continue to improve with my photographic skills and learn from those that can teach: the natural animals and nature itself.

Thank you again"

jeannius

Post Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:08 am

I once received a pbase mail from the Cheetah guy and he told me how fantastic my photos were and then asked me to sign his guestbook.

That struck me as REALLY weird, but he seemed like a normal guy at the time so I looked at his work and (regretably) signed his guestbook. Next day I noticed about 40 other people had too! Coincidence? I don't think so, seems he sends MANY group emails out asking for votes, comments and guestbook signatures.

A few months later I got a private mail from him again, with the EXACT same wording as the first mail.

Enough said.

papajim_48306

Soliciting Votes

Post Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:10 pm

I will have been a contributing member for two years on July 25, 2007. There was a time when I checked the Popular Galleries and Popular Photos almost daily to see if my offerings were well received. I will admit to loyalty to those who commented favorably on my images but not to bartering for comments and votes. I now only occasionally go into those categories, settling most often to view the PaD's and Forum pictures.

I very much enjoy travel and historical pictures along with tongue in cheek humor that occasionally comes through. I still comment freely and vote for images that I enjoy. I find that I am more able to enjoy my hobby and your photos if I visit at my leisure and feel no obligation to a daily routine.

I have renewed my subscription and will continue to enjoy the fine photography that the members share each day. Thank you all for your contributions and unique styles.

PreviousNext

Board index PBase PaD Discussion Soliciting popularity