Board index PBase PaD Discussion What is your occupation?

PaD Discussion

What is your occupation?

discuss photo-a-day projects
bela45

What is your occupation?

Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:59 am

Steven had the good idea to start the thread asking where you live
Now, I am asking: What is your occupation?

I am an interpreter
Portuguese, swedish, french, english and lingala
How about you?

clickaway

Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:38 am

Well I'm an accountant.

I hope that disproves the legend that we're all boring!

i_fly

Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:49 am

Education:
Economist / business administator

Current job:
Directing Manager of an investment / site development company

Waiting to see the full spectrum of expertice / professions - it will by no doubt cover the full spectrum of human activity :)

Pall Gudjonsson

christianl

Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:03 pm

my living.... :wink:
Last edited by christianl on Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

shaun

Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:44 pm

Cad Technician for an Architect from 9-5, photographer the rest of my spare time.... ;-)

darter02

Well, if you really want to know....

Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:24 pm

I am the multimedia/creative coordinator for exhibits at the Carnegie Museum of Natural History. I’ve been here 11 years and have about 18 years experience to my career as a professional artist. I’ve done a lot of different things over the years; from movie set work, to diorama and prop fabrication and now graphics and short films. Heck, I’ve even dabbled with computer controlled light shows and robotic tour guides…

Other people have always considered me an “artist”, even when I was a child. This is a title I never felt I deserved until recently. You see, as a child and a teen what I did I just considered fun and a hobby and never took it as serious as the other “artists” that were my peers. Even though EVERYONE always said I was going to “grow up and be an artist someday” I wanted to be a soldier. When I turned 17 I went into a recruitment station and spent over an hour with a sergeant picking out a branch of service. Pen in hand and ½” from the contract for the “year delay plan” (do they still do that?) I suddenly had a serious thought.

I asked myself if I could kill people. I don’t mean kill people trying to kill me…I meant kill period, let’s face it, there is a lot of undeserved death doled out in war, it’s the nature of the beast, and I wondered how I would feel about that. At that time there were no immanent threats other than the cold war and if that happened it’d be “sunrise in the west, even though the day was done…”

Well, I decided I wanted to wait and see what other options life held…heck I was only 17!!

By the age of 18 I was in Art School, I wanted to follow the advice that some of the adults I respected had given me. They had all told me I was the “type of person that if you don’t love what you’re doing, you’ll go nuts!” The only thing I really liked to do other than read a lot and hang with my buddies playing war games (which I still love) was creating dioramas. The only place I knew that made those was the Carnegie…I had a new goal.

Now here I am, 11 years of service to the Carnegie. As I’ve said, I was able to make those dioramas for a living but in 1997 I realized that in the new century that was bearing down making fake rocks and trees just wasn’t going to make it. I went back to school for computer animation/multimedia. Now I do that sort of thing here. Of course, I see an end to that someday so I went back to school again and have just graduated with a BS in industrial design. I want to get my Masters next…

As for being an “Artist” (note the capital “A” LOL!), it wasn’t until I began my PAD last September that I feel I’ve begun to actually develop as one. I know it must seem odd that someone who creates for a living thinks that something like this makes me feel like an “Artist.” You see, what I do for a living is just that, a living. I enjoy it and it’s interesting but it’s not something I want to do outside of work.

I don’t shoot photos as work so the experience is all mine. I also have complete control over how and what I shoot. At the museum, everything is “designed by committee.” For the first time ever I actually feel that I may someday become that “Artist” they always said I was going to grow up to be.

Of course, it will be a long time before I feel I can actually call myself that…

(SORRY FOR THE BOOK!!!!!)

My resume can be accessed here: http://www.coroflot.com/LutzR2
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

ukexpat

Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:36 pm

M&A Lawyer, English Barrister by training....

See my bio at: http://www.smr-group.org/pond.html

cman3002

Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:11 pm

I am a meteorologist, working for the National Weather Service.

(But please don't complain to me if the weather's bad :D )

Mike

toddono

Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:19 pm

I am a Producer at a local TV station in California. At my work, we do all of the jobs: writing, shooting, editing, directing...on and on. I've been at the same station since 1989. Before that (during college years) some friends and I had a concert promotion business.

toddono

http://www.pbase.com/toddono

sloopsailor

OK

Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:25 pm

Theatrical Designer/Technical Director

yardbird

Student

Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:42 pm

I am a Graduate student.
Industrial Engineering and Operations Research
Penn State University
Pennsylvania, USA

I am graduating in Summer. Any job offers? :D

dazedgonebye

occupation

Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:12 pm

Database Administrator, Technical Writer, Freelance Geek.

jude_53

Post Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:06 am

I've been a bank manager, a lifestyle editor and humorous columnist for a newspaper ...

At the present I work as a group leader in an afterschool program for kids 6-12. Do I do it because I like them? um.. no.. i do it cuz.. there's nothing like a well-placed kick in the shin when playing floor hockey ... or a soccer ball to the gut (why is it funny to them when I'm doubled over?) ...

Or ... when they leave for the day and they run back because they forgot something - and I find out it's just that they need extra big hug to hold them over til we meet the next day.

Okay.. i sorta like them too. But don't tell ...

jude_53

Post Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:07 am

I've been a bank manager, a lifestyle editor and humorous columnist for a newspaper ...

At the present I work as a group leader in an afterschool program for kids 6-12. Do I do it because I like them? um.. no.. i do it cuz.. there's nothing like a well-placed kick in the shin when playing floor hockey ... or a soccer ball to the gut (why is it funny to them when I'm doubled over?) ...

Or ... when they leave for the day and they run back because they forgot something - and I find out it's just that they need extra big hug to hold them over til we meet the next day.

Okay.. i sorta like them too. But don't tell ...

isshinryu_mom

Post Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:36 am

:shock: Dang, y'all are one interesting group of people! :lol:

I'm just a mom... that's what I am. Haven't had a paid job since my husband finished grad school and got a real job! Unless you count the mystery shopping I did with a friend for a while...now that was fun... being paid to shop! In my former life (pre kids) I sold real estate and kept the books for a pawn shop. I majored in secondary education and quickly discovered I didn't like working with teenagers. I fully intended to return to school and be recertified to teach elementary kids once my own children were in school. But staying home suits me (except that the pay sucks). I've been home so long now I'd probably make a rotten employee anyway.

Next

Board index PBase PaD Discussion What is your occupation?