Board index PBase PaD Discussion Monthly Challenge Suggestion...

PaD Discussion

Monthly Challenge Suggestion...

discuss photo-a-day projects
barbara_heide

Monthly Challenge Suggestion...

Post Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:14 pm

anyone interested in a new kind of monthly challenge?
I came across this idea in a Flickr group and found this very interesting, challenging and inspiring...
I was thinking of a Challenge with a different theme for the week-day:

Monday: Plenty (many of a kind)
Tuesday: Rule of Thirds
Wednesday: Windows
Thursday: Triangles
Friday: Food
Saturday: Selective Colour
Sunday: Sparkling

That means, there will be a thread for each day of the week. You post your fresh image to the thread : Monday Picture on Monday to the Monday thread, if you miss it, you post it the week after or not at all...
you only post on the very day in your time zone, if you miss it, you post to the following day on the following theme...

That means, people can do it on a daily base, but are not obliged to...
If you don't like a topic, you can leave it out...
You have a variety of different approaches which introduces you to different technics and helps you to improve, as this theme comes back every week...
You take a lot of pressure of yourself, as you can post on the days you wish...
Well, comments would be required as soon as you post a picture...
be fair play
and enjoy

Who would like to try this out???
We could stay on these topics for 1 or 2 months and then suggest a different series of themes...

I hope you can understand what I'm trying to explain...

Cheers
Barbara

1designguy

Re: Monthly Challenge Suggestion...

Post Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:03 pm

I like.

kstuebin

Post Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:08 pm

I don't understand it. Does the week repeat four times? Or do you just do a couple days a week? Or do you post new topics each week? It seems kind of complicated to me. But coming from Flickr that's understandable. :) Do we have to say "HTT?" Hail Thursday Triangles." Uck-Yay. Now you know how to say yuck in pig latin. LOL.

lainesphotos

Post Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:55 pm

I like it too....perhaps you could link that Flickr idea too if that's possible ?

lynnh

Post Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:43 am

I'm out. Sounds interesting, but I thinking it will be too time consuming for me. I only get to take photos on my lunch break, and sometime can't post for a day or two.
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost ~ J. R. R. Tolkien

barbara_heide

Post Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:22 am

lynnh wrote:I'm out. Sounds interesting, but I thinking it will be too time consuming for me. I only get to take photos on my lunch break, and sometime can't post for a day or two.

It's actually easier... and less time consuming:
You take your pictures during the month so if you find a bunch of triangles you can post them on the triangle day in different weeks...
but if you miss that day one week you can post the picture a week later...
If you don't do it every day, it doesn't matter. that's easy to adapt to everyone's rhythm...
the threads are less longer...

cheers
Barbara

barbara_heide

Post Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:28 am

kstuebin wrote:I don't understand it. Does the week repeat four times? Or do you just do a couple days a week? Or do you post new topics each week? It seems kind of complicated to me. But coming from Flickr that's understandable. :) Do we have to say "HTT?" Hail Thursday Triangles." Uck-Yay. Now you know how to say yuck in pig latin. LOL.

so if you don't understand it, why not asking??? I think it is quite rude to say yuck, just because you do not understand...
it is a suggestion, but nobody is obliged to follow of course, you are certainly not, but yuck is just a childish reaction...

You have a theme per day: the picture for this theme can be taken anytime through the month, but you post it on the "theme" day...
the day theme repeats every week unless we decide to change the themes... this could be 1 month or 2 months for instance...

does this help?

cheers
Barbara

barbara_heide

Post Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:31 am

lainesphotos wrote:I like it too....perhaps you could link that Flickr idea too if that's possible ?

http://www.flickr.com/groups/1912892@N23/

cheers
Barbara

barbara_heide

Post Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:35 am

For people who do not have time to shoot every day, they can shoot the same day several pictures, and they can post them one by one in the special theme on the day, week after week...

cheers
Barbara

lainesphotos

Post Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:26 am

Thanks for posting the link, Barbara...there are some great images

travelingrabbit

Post Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:29 am

I like the idea too! :)

kstuebin

Post Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:51 am

barbara_heide wrote:
kstuebin wrote:I don't understand it. Does the week repeat four times? Or do you just do a couple days a week? Or do you post new topics each week? It seems kind of complicated to me. But coming from Flickr that's understandable. :) Do we have to say "HTT?" Hail Thursday Triangles." Uck-Yay. Now you know how to say yuck in pig latin. LOL.

so if you don't understand it, why not asking??? I think it is quite rude to say yuck, just because you do not understand...
it is a suggestion, but nobody is obliged to follow of course, you are certainly not, but yuck is just a childish reaction...

You have a theme per day: the picture for this theme can be taken anytime through the month, but you post it on the "theme" day...
the day theme repeats every week unless we decide to change the themes... this could be 1 month or 2 months for instance...

does this help?

cheers
Barbara

I wasn't saying yuck to the challenge. I'm really not that rude. :) I was saying yuck to the Flickr thing. Like HFF. Hail Fence Friday. HMM. Hail Macro Monday. When I log in. "Now you know how to say Hello in Swahili." I hope I haven't offended people who like Flickr. I'm on Flickr. I like the groups.

The challenge sounds interesting. I looked at the link. It would create a lot of threads. My issue is that I use my Pad gallery for the challenge. I think that's an issue. I'd have to see it work here. If everyone likes it then I guess it will be the challenge.

amoxtli

Post Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:47 pm

Some interesting themes in the flickr thread. Thanks for posting it Barbara. I have a busy schedule in March, and would participate if I had time, but I don't. Have fun everyone. I know you will. :D
Walter Otto Koenig Architectural Photography: http://www.wokoenig.net

General Photography: http://www.wokoenig.com

Pacific Photographic Society: http://www.pacificphoto.net

borisalex

Post Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:19 pm

Hi all,
Barbara wrote: "We could stay on these topics for 1 or 2 months and then suggest a different series of themes..." Would that not be to static?? This is not a monthly challenge, rather are groups working on a theme, as I understand. :oops:

I think to impliment this Flickr concept is not what we do here! :arrow:

Cheers
Boris

barbara_heide

Post Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:07 pm

borisalex wrote:Hi all,
Barbara wrote: "We could stay on these topics for 1 or 2 months and then suggest a different series of themes..." Would that not be to static?? This is not a monthly challenge, rather are groups working on a theme, as I understand. :oops:

I think to impliment this Flickr concept is not what we do here! :arrow:

Cheers
Boris

It's up to you of course... thank you for giving us your opinion...

This is what I suggest, and the concept suits me, this has nothing to do with Flickr, (btw I don't understand why people do react so harsh to Flickr, I did mention in order to allow people to see how it works) Flickr is completely different to pbase. This kind of concept will work completely different on pbase...) those who are interested can follow and give it a try, those who do not like it can do something else, no problem...
I think that this could attract some more people, who can't commit themselves for a daily challenge. This gives them the opportunity to participate from time to time. Not everybody has the time to do a daily challenge, but it is possible that way to do it every day ( the people who do a PESO more than a PAD)
I find the challenges as they are now, quite static and therefore I'm looking for an other concept... which is more likely to be various...

cheers

Barbara

Next

Board index PBase PaD Discussion Monthly Challenge Suggestion...