Board index PBase PaD Discussion May 2014 Challenge Ideas

PaD Discussion

May 2014 Challenge Ideas

discuss photo-a-day projects
1designguy

May 2014 Challenge Ideas

Post Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:04 pm

May Challenge Ideas. I'll start this rolling for the input of ideas by recapping the last 12 months of PaD challenges (in reverse order):

1. April 2014- "30 Things"
2. March 2014- "Robert Frost"
3. February 2014- "Two"
4. January 2014- "Trees"
5. December 2013- "Scavenger Hunt"
6. November 2013- "Song Titles/Artists"
7. October 2013- "Scavenger Hunt"
8. September 2013- "30 Things About You"
9. August 2013- "Connections"
10. July 2013- "31 Views (Where I Live)"
11. June 2013- "Movies/Film Titles"
12. May 2013- "7 Elements of Design"

Thank you to everyone who came up with these themes and participated when the could over the last twelve months and longer. This last year shows that we've had 5 Scavenger Hunt/List type challenges, 3 Tribute/Artist type challenges and 4 more generally-themed challenges.

Would anyone be interested in a more technical/photographic skill oriented challenge for the month of May? I have found in the past that picking a consistent processing, capture method/equipment , style, and/or subject really helps me to improve in that specific area (both by practice and observation/inspiration). This theme could be broad like "B&W/Achromatic", "Unedited/Straight Out of the Camera", "Urban/Rural Landscapes" or "Night Photography/Ambient Light" (and on and on) or more narrow (and more challenging) like "Macro/Micro", "Long Exposures", "Portraiture", "Astral/Lunar", etc.

You get the idea. I will leave this out there for discussion and feedback. Lets see where things fall in place.

jolka

Re: May 2014 Challenge Ideas

Post Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:39 pm

I would like to suggest "Water" as a May challenge subject.

1designguy

Post Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:29 pm

I could see how we could work water (and other things) into the theme I was really leaning toward. That theme is "Long Exposure". This is something I've really wanted to work on.

It is easy in low light settings, night shots, interior, etc. For day shots you have to use ND filters (something to decrease the light coming into the lens) or cloudy days with high aperture numbers (f/16 up). There are some good rules for settings and lots of experimentation that can be done. I have seen this done well from cell phones, P&S cameras, DSLRS, film and other make-shift means. I even saw a guy once use dark sunglasses held in front of his camera cell phone lens. I have an itch to work on this if anyone wants to give it a shot :-)

clickaway

Post Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:17 pm

if you are going to go along the 'water' route, I would extend it to include all liquids. It would certainly be a challenge to produce 31 decent and varied shots on this theme I think, especially if you don't live near a river etc.

You could possibly extend it to cover the four elements - Fire, Water, Air, Earth.

Ray

john_lamb

Post Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:29 am

Ray's idea is Elementary. I second it.

janicecd

Post Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:07 am

I third it!!

dawn2

Post Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:26 pm

I'm in for a skills challenge, long exposure sounds interesting.

lynnh

Post Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:45 pm

I propose a M is for May scavenger hunt list for those who are subject challenged or technically challenged. I created a list.

M is for MAY

Macro
Magical
Maintained
Majestic
Man or Manly
Mark or Marker
Mask
Massive
Match or Matching
May Weather
Maze
Me
Meal
Meaningful
Medical or Medicinal
Memories
Measurement
Micro or Mini
Mild
Milky
All Mine
Minimal
Misplaced
Mistake
Moat
Mob
Moist or Moisture
Mold (or Lichens)
Monet - like http://www.claudemonetgallery.org/the-c ... works.html
Moody
Moon or Moonlit
Motorized
Movement
Muchacho (Spanish for young man)
Multiple
Musician or Musical instrument
Mustard colored
Mushrooms
Mutation (or Mutilated)
Muted
Mysterious
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost ~ J. R. R. Tolkien

lainesphotos

Post Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:28 pm

As I will be on leave and on the road for most of May I won't commit to taking part in any challenge during the month.
Thanks to all who took part in this months 30 Things and I will see you in June.

Have fun all.
Laine

jdonnelly

Post Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:03 pm

I belong to a local Photography Group ..... we meet once a month and have a monthly challenge, although we can only submit four images. This past April it was water ..... using either long exposure to create a blurred effect, or fast shutter speed to freeze the water. The long exposure was definitely a challenge and I was even considering getting an ND filter or two (although I decided not to at that time). I would definitely be interested in doing this again. Maybe it could be broadened to include both fast and slow shutter speed on water (or liquid would work too ..... I'm imagining setting the camera on a tripod aimed at milk being poured into a glass). Just my 2 cents.

Janet

cocameli

Post Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:10 am

I love Lynn's idea!

emmelafoto

Post Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:24 am

I second the idea of a more technical challenge. Scavenger Hunts or something like that, are nice to do, but - as already said - we have had many of them over the last year.
Maaike

lynnh

Post Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:18 pm

emmelafoto wrote:I second the idea of a more technical challenge. Scavenger Hunts or something like that, are nice to do, but - as already said - we have had many of them over the last year.
Maaike

Maybe those of you wanting a technical challenge should start your own instead of trying to change the format of this one. This has been a subject/theme based challenge for the past 5 years. I think we should be mindful and not make a challenge exclusionary to the regular members of this group. Some of us use phone cameras or PS. Some of us don't get out of the house/neighborhood except maybe once a month so urban/rural doesn't work well for a PAD. Night shots, I'm in bed by dark and there is nothing for miles to see.

Some of Scott's subjects were pretty good. I like 'Straight out of Camera". Jola's Water idea is good too.
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost ~ J. R. R. Tolkien

amoxtli

Post Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:36 pm

"Urban/Rural Landscapes" and "Liquids" would be good. I also like "Night Photography/Ambient Light", though the days in the northern hemisphere are getting too long for this. "Portraiture" would be a real challenge. I have wanted to suggest that one for some time. Now there's a real challenge, produce a good portrait a day for a whole month!

I am very much for doing challenges that have a technical element to them. For example, for the month of April I shot every image in manual mode and I used some methods in photography and/or processing that I have never used or rarely used. While I understand some photographers don't have the equipment, expertise or opportunity, I likewise think those who want to widen their technical horizons should not be held back if they want to broaden them. I am sure we can find some kind of compromise. I also think sometimes it's time to try something new to freshen things up a bit.

I am definitely against multiple challenges, there are barely enough participants in the one challenge these days as is. :D
Walter Otto Koenig Architectural Photography: http://www.wokoenig.net

General Photography: http://www.wokoenig.com

Pacific Photographic Society: http://www.pacificphoto.net

borisalex

Post Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:48 am

I think this challenge has been a great one:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=43048

So why not : The "M" Challenge (meaning MONOCHROME, with some of Lyhnn´s themes) and with all technical stuff someone is able to do, based on experience, equipment..etc.

PS: Of course for me there would be street photography included a lot!

Next

Board index PBase PaD Discussion May 2014 Challenge Ideas