Board index PBase PaD Discussion WEEKLY INFORMAL CHALLENGE 212: "Portrait"

PaD Discussion

WEEKLY INFORMAL CHALLENGE 212: "Portrait"

discuss photo-a-day projects
amoxtli

WEEKLY INFORMAL CHALLENGE 212: "Portrait"

Post Fri May 02, 2014 3:23 pm

Weekly Challenge: "Portrait"

For this week the challenge is to post a fresh portrait you have taken. You can do a candid if you like, or you can post a posed portrait. The idea is to challenge yourself as much as you can with this, using long focal lengths, for example 85mm, 135mm, etc., or wide apertures such as f/2.8, f/4 etc., use natural lighting, reflectors, studio lighting, etc. Pretend you are entering a contest and you want to win the category for best portrait. :D

A few simple rules:

1. Themes are posted on Fridays to give you the weekend to come up with a FRESH shot for the challenge to post through Monday.

2. This is about interaction, learning, being challenged and having fun so... HAVE FUN!

3. The themes are specific but interpretations are broad. Stay on theme but PLEASE feel free to think outside the box
Walter Otto Koenig Architectural Photography: http://www.wokoenig.net

General Photography: http://www.wokoenig.com

Pacific Photographic Society: http://www.pacificphoto.net

1designguy

Re: WEEKLY INFORMAL CHALLENGE 212: "Portrait"

Post Fri May 02, 2014 4:37 pm

Good one. Glad we have the weekend to work on this.

borisalex

Post Sat May 03, 2014 3:05 pm

Ask Walter..!

If I don´t have prime lenses, like with f/2,8, can I use a zoom lens, or even a point and shoot camera?

vneilknobbe

Post Sat May 03, 2014 4:44 pm

borisalex wrote:Ask Walter..!

If I don´t have prime lenses, like with f/2,8, can I use a zoom lens, or even a point and shoot camera?

I would guess that there is no limitation on your equipment. I don't believe that you need to use a prime lens or one with a certain aperture, he was just giving examples of what you can use. (I hope.) I haven't looked at todays photos on my computer but I got some shots today of some medieval music/play today and was using my 70-200 that I will post.

vneilknobbe

Post Sat May 03, 2014 5:38 pm

sueymarky

Post Sat May 03, 2014 6:12 pm

amoxtli

Post Sat May 03, 2014 6:40 pm

Dancing Competition Judge at the Cinco de May Celebrations in Old Town San Diego this morning.

At events I generally get better results with doing candid portraits. I usually use my AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II lens and have a tendency to shoot at the longer end and wide open at f/2.8 in manual mode. Aside from cropping and a little vignetting the image is straight out of the camera.

borisalex

Post Sat May 03, 2014 6:48 pm

amoxtli wrote:Dancing Competition Judge at the Cinco de May Celebrations in Old Town San Diego this morning.

At events I generally get better results with doing candid portraits. I usually use my AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II lens and have a tendency to shoot at the longer end and wide open at f/2.8 in manual mode. Aside from cropping and a little vignetting the image is straight out of the camera.

....it easy easy to compete with a 1846,98 € lens (Regular price 2499.- €) here in Germany, there´s no way to match quality, except only with creativity! :)

BTW. Thanks for the answer Walter!
Last edited by borisalex on Sat May 03, 2014 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amoxtli

Post Sat May 03, 2014 6:52 pm

This is in reply to Neil's message. For some reason the "reply" function is disabled for me on this thread.

We have ever imposed any limitations in terms of equipment that can be used by participants for the challenges. This is not done in order to give everyone a chance and also it's about the image and not about the equipment used to make it. The focal lengths and apertures given in the description of the challenge this week were only given as examples. You can take perfectly nice portraits with a 18-55m kit lens, a point and shot or a prime. Hope this answers any questions about this. Scott and I are always open to suggestions for the challenge or themes to post.

Regards,

Walter

borisalex

Post Sat May 03, 2014 7:01 pm

Walter, simply it doesn´t work with a 18-55 kit lens to get same result..no way!

Sample: this photo was taken by me with a borrowed AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II , like yours, but taken with a Nikon D 3100, no D 700 FF ,like yours!!!

Do I have do think it is only the winner,how has the better weapon?

vneilknobbe

Post Sat May 03, 2014 7:18 pm

Hi Boris

I am not sure I understand your concern, and I may regret getting more involved with this conversation than I already am.

This is not a contest, just a posting of what people is a portrait that they have shot which and want others to see.

It is understood that not everyone has the same equipment to work with, or will process their photographs the same. I did more work in Photoshop on my image than Walter did with his and, though I am biased because I took it, I think mine is not bad. I think Walter's is great too, and so is the one that you posted even though I get the impression that you feel you used an inferior camera.

Again, there are no winners or losers. Just people sharing pictures they are proud of using whatever equipment they have at their disposal be it a smartphone up to the most expensive equpiment money can buy.

borisalex

Post Sat May 03, 2014 7:25 pm

My idea of a portrait! :D

taken with a 149.- € lens! :D :D :D

borisalex

Post Sat May 03, 2014 7:36 pm

vneilknobbe wrote:Hi Boris

I am not sure I understand your concern, and I may regret getting more involved with this conversation than I already am.

This is not a contest, just a posting of what people is a portrait that they have shot which and want others to see.

It is understood that not everyone has the same equipment to work with, or will process their photographs the same. I did more work in Photoshop on my image than Walter did with his and, though I am biased because I took it, I think mine is not bad. I think Walter's is great too, and so is the one that you posted even though I get the impression that you feel you used an inferior camera.

Again, there are no winners or losers. Just people sharing pictures they are proud of using whatever equipment they have at their disposal be it a smartphone up to the most expensive equpiment money can buy.

No.. Sorry I don´t know your name, but what you say this is like in the ideal world, but not here on Pbase.

I´m glad there are cameras out there, beating any DSLR, like the Olympus E-M1 and going after the FF Guys, but only with pro lenses! The only change you have is your creativity and with a Leica M9 with a 35 mm, 1.4 Summilux, the lens only for 5000.- Dollars, your are the master here on Pbase! :oops: :oops: :oops:

vneilknobbe

Post Sat May 03, 2014 8:15 pm

borisalex wrote:
No.. Sorry I don´t know your name, but what you say this is like in the ideal world, but not here on Pbase.

Hi Boris

My name is Neil.

I will have to disagree with you on this one, but that is what makes us all great. We can have differing opinions.
I have never gotten negative comments on any of my images or been belittled for the equpiment I have used, and to be honest, it may bug me if I did get people mocking the type of camera/lens I use but not for long. As long as I am happy with the photographs that I am taking then I really don't give a hoot what anyone thinks.

Personally, I think that any of the photographs that you have posted are great. I assume that you are taking them with the same kit lens that you feel is inappropriate for this weeks topic of portraits. (I think it is actually pretty inventive to use the motorbike as the subject of a portrait as you have done. Koodos.)

I am lucky enough that I have been able to upgrade my equipment as the years have gone by, but I know that I would still be as happy with my results if I was still using my original Canon Rebel (Remember those silvery/gold ones? I loved that camera. My only regret was the couple of years that I only shot JPEGS, instead of RAW files.) with it's kit lens.

Anyway I have digressed.

I am sorry that you feel as you do about PBase and I wish you all the best in your photography and look forward to your continuing posting of images.

Neil

borisalex

Post Sat May 03, 2014 8:53 pm

vneilknobbe wrote:
borisalex wrote:

Hi Boris

My name is Neil.

I will have to disagree with you on this one, but that is what makes us all great. We can have differing opinions.
I have never gotten negative comments on any of my images or been belittled for the equpiment I have used, and to be honest, it may bug me if I did get people mocking the type of camera/lens I use but not for long. As long as I am happy with the photographs that I am taking then I really don't give a hoot what anyone thinks.

Personally, I think that any of the photographs that you have posted are great. I assume that you are taking them with the same kit lens that you feel is inappropriate for this weeks topic of portraits. (I think it is actually pretty inventive to use the motorbike as the subject of a portrait as you have done. Koodos.)

I am lucky enough that I have been able to upgrade my equipment as the years have gone by, but I know that I would still be as happy with my results if I was still using my original Canon Rebel (Remember those silvery/gold ones? I loved that camera. My only regret was the couple of years that I only shot JPEGS, instead of RAW files.) with it's kit lens.

Anyway I have digressed.

I am sorry that you feel as you do about PBase and I wish you all the best in your photography and look forward to your continuing posting of images.

Neil

Thanks Neil, I´m sorry for not regognizing your name at the first place, having to deal with a child and dog beside of shooting "World-class" images..haha. ! But I´m very much commited like you and I still miss my Contax film camera!

Best Boris

Next

Board index PBase PaD Discussion WEEKLY INFORMAL CHALLENGE 212: "Portrait"