Board index PBase PaD Discussion NEW BACK-TO-BASICS CHALLENGE #1 - PANNING

PaD Discussion

NEW BACK-TO-BASICS CHALLENGE #1 - PANNING

discuss photo-a-day projects
lynnh

NEW BACK-TO-BASICS CHALLENGE #1 - PANNING

Post Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:44 pm

Back to Basics Informal Meet-up

I heard from 4 or 5 former Weekly Challenge participants, all who were interested in exploring another venue to replace W.I.C. Thank you again , to Walter and Scott for all those fun challenges!

This weekly meet-up will be very informal. We’ll have a whole week to do our photo(s).

On Fridays, we present the ‘challenge’, which is not theme or object based. Instead, we’ll practice using a camera setting, or a basic technique. Yes, we will be exploring camera settings. You don’t need a fancy lens. But you do need manual settings for your camera.

The object/lesson will be presented in the Forum on Friday. We will have the whole week PLUS Saturday to post our work. Links to your photos will be posted to this thread like we've done in past challenges.

We can post 1 or 2 pictures where we used the prescribed setting. If you post two, use your 2 best or your best and worst… if you are brave enough. :D :oops:

If you would like to discuss your experience, please do. We can learn from it.

Please don’t use a treatment or process your photos. You may straighten and crop if necessary.

Commenting - lets try to give support to one another and point out what we like about the resulting photo(s).

If you have criticism, keep it constructive and hide the comment.

Voting is optional. Up to you. This isn’t a contest, but I know some of us feel the V validates approval.

Okay, let’s start… I picked the first meet-up assignment. If you have ideas for future assignments, please send them.

Repeat after me: “I will not be a lazy photographer.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BACK TO BASICS ASSIGNMENT #1

A pan with everything blurry can be annoying; something has to be sharp to hold the eyes to the picture.

This week’s assignment is to practice PANNING using the slowest shutter speed possible (for shooting conditions) and following the subject with your camera.
The object of this assignment is to keep some or all of the subject sharp, and the background very blurry to emphasize the movement.

Some online help/tips/tricks for Panning can be found here:

http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2012/ ... ds-to-use/
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/camer ... nique-4768

You have until the end of Saturday, July 5th to take and post you pictures.
Last edited by lynnh on Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:26 am, edited 4 times in total.
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost ~ J. R. R. Tolkien

1designguy

Re: NEW BACK-TO-BASICS WEEKLY CHALLENGE

Post Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:10 pm

Good one!

lainesphotos

Post Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:17 pm

A good idea, Lynn...I will ( as I did before ) join in when time permits

janicecd

Post Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:24 pm

GREAT!! Thanks Lyn. I will join in - but I am off overseas in 2 weeks time and will be away for 5-6 weeks, and I won't be working on challenges while I'm away.
Looking forward to seeing what you all come up with
Janice

emmelafoto

Post Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:39 am

What a great idea!!!!
Thanks Lynn!!!

hjnk

Post Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:37 am

Good initiative Lynn, thanks! I'll be joining as much as I can.

lisamidi

Post Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:42 am

Thanks so much, Lynn,
this is such a great idea and can be so helpful to improve. Love to do some discussion on what is wrong or good.
I will try to participate and am looking forward to results.
Cheers.
Lisa

lynnh

Post Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:54 pm

My first time out to work on the assignment. This was the best of 3. I gave some info about conditions in the narrative. I PLAN TO GO BACK OUT AND GET SOMETHING BETTER BEFORE THE DEADLINE.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost ~ J. R. R. Tolkien

amoxtli

Post Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:18 am

Hi Everyone,

I think we're getting away from the purpose of this forum which is "PaD Discussion" when we post challenges where the "The object/lesson will be presented in the Forum on Friday. We will have the whole week PLUS Saturday to post our work." This kind of challenge is probably more apt in the Show & Tell Forum, or perhaps PBase can create a forum for challenges only. Just my opinion.

Best to you all,

Walter
Walter Otto Koenig Architectural Photography: http://www.wokoenig.net

General Photography: http://www.wokoenig.com

Pacific Photographic Society: http://www.pacificphoto.net

lynnh

Post Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:48 pm

amoxtli wrote:Hi Everyone,

I think we're getting away from the purpose of this forum which is "PaD Discussion" when we post challenges where the "The object/lesson will be presented in the Forum on Friday. We will have the whole week PLUS Saturday to post our work." This kind of challenge is probably more apt in the Show & Tell Forum, or perhaps PBase can create a forum for challenges only. Just my opinion.

Best to you all,

Walter

It's ok where it is. I already cleared it with the Moderator. This challenge is geared to PaDding and PaD community enough to qualify.

lynnh

Post Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:21 pm

My next panning experiment. A 4th of July 5k Fun Run.

It was much easier to photograph the runners than it was when I tried the cars. I like the motion in their feet and I think I got a good amount of background movement. I learned a lot doing this experiment.

lynnh

Post Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:08 pm

Anyone else?

lisamidi

Post Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:20 pm

Hi all,
my first image for this challenge: Back-to-Basics: "Panning" … very interesting … not really successfully done until now, but I will try to go on with this personal challenge as I liked it a lot.

Cheers.
Lisa

lynnh

Post Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:44 pm

The slowest shutter speed I could manage. I like the result, although it isn't technically perfect. LOL

http://www.pbase.com/lynnh/image/156421994

Next

Board index PBase PaD Discussion NEW BACK-TO-BASICS CHALLENGE #1 - PANNING