discuss photo-a-day projects
lynnh

BACK TO BASICS CHALLENGE - 5 - ISO LIMITS

Post Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:26 am

Back to Basics Informal Meet-up
Repeat after me: “I will not be a lazy photographer.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Use a high ISO setting
- from Digital Photography School Website - http://digital-photography-school.com/

Some of the most beautiful landscape photographs are made in low light, so learning these techniques will help you take advantage of low light opportunities and get that great shot even when you don’t have a tripod.

ISO refers to the level of light sensitivity of your camera. The higher the ISO the more sensitive the sensor is to light, therefore the less light is needed to make a good exposure. The downside is that the higher the ISO, the more “noise” you will find in your image. Noise is a grainy look as opposed to a smooth look.

This setting is different on every camera and an acceptable amount of noise is different for every photographer. Its good to know the maximum ISO for your camera that results in a noise level that you think is acceptable. With today’s cameras this point is probably higher than you might think.

Your Assignment ~

Post one or two photos using a higher ISO setting.

Take the same shot at a number of the higher ISO settings and when you view the photos on your computer later (view at 100% size or 1:1), you will see at what point image quality begins to deteriorate. Please post the image that you think is best.

Please tell us about the ISO setting if you aren’t posting with exif information.

If you would like to discuss your experience, please do. We can learn from it.

Our goal is to get our best shot through the camera and not the computer, so please limit processing to rotate, level, crop. If you shoot in raw, you may adjust your photos as necessary.

Commenting - let's try to give support to one another and point out what we like about the resulting photo(s).

If you have criticism, keep it constructive and hide the comment.

Deadline to post for this assignment is Saturday, August 2nd.
Last edited by lynnh on Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost ~ J. R. R. Tolkien

lynnh

Re: BACK TO BASICS WEEKLY CHALLENGE - WEEK 5

Post Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:40 am

I didn't like the amount of noise in this one. I need to make some adjustments and get a better one before the deadline. John Lamb has set the bar high. :)

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost ~ J. R. R. Tolkien

lynnh

Post Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:47 am

ISO 3200

johncrossphotography

Post Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:56 pm

This was fun and interesting. I took my own tack on it, figuring the result would be worth it.

John
Last edited by johncrossphotography on Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

timbg

Re: BACK TO BASICS WEEKLY CHALLENGE - WEEK 5 - ISO LIMITS

Post Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:58 pm

I posted 2 photos of the same subject. I uploaded them at original size without any processing whatsoever, other than converting them from RAW to Jpeg. The first one is at iso 6400:
http://www.pbase.com/timbg/image/156841775

and the second one is at iso 160:
http://www.pbase.com/timbg/image/156841776

I set the camera on "P" program mode, so the camera chose the other settings. I tried a series of shots in Manual where everything was the same except the iso, but I didn't like any of the results.

My PAD shot yesterday was shot at iso 3200. I did tweak it a little in Lightroom with the Topaz Labs plugin, "adjust."
http://www.pbase.com/timbg/image/156837102

The Nikon V2 does a pretty good job at the higher iso settings.
Tim

Board index PBase PaD Discussion BACK TO BASICS CHALLENGE - 5 - ISO LIMITS