Board index PBase PaD Discussion IDEAS FOR NOVEMBER CHALLENGE????????

PaD Discussion

IDEAS FOR NOVEMBER CHALLENGE????????

discuss photo-a-day projects
lynnh

IDEAS FOR NOVEMBER CHALLENGE????????

Post Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:03 pm

Anyone have a good idea for November's challenge???
If not, I can always make an N scavenger hunt.
Or someone else can make up a hunt.
Just keep in mind that we have members from all over, rural and city, north and south hemisphere, Spring and Fall. :)
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost ~ J. R. R. Tolkien

1designguy

Re: IDEAS FOR NOVEMBER CHALLENGE????????

Post Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:24 pm

How about something like "Nocturnal November" with the focus on night photography? Perhaps something general like "Gratefulness" that would cover our Thanksgiving as well as a good general human characteristic?

I searched and found this pin on Pinterest for "Gratefulness".

lainesphotos

Post Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:18 pm

Hi Lynn,
First let me say, " good job you !! " keeping the challenges going with great ideas over the past months the way you have. This last few busy months for me have kept me from joining in only because I knew I couldn't follow the rule to the letter with new shots each day so when I went back into my past challenge entries I came across this one done in November 2008. It was called A Song ~ A Poem ~ A Proverb and it was suggested by our dear & late friend Máire. Here is a link to what she wrote <http://form.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=39245 and if you follow on the the second page see what she thought about using " Cinderella " images as she called them <http://form.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=39245&start=15
Looking back on it reminds me of the enthusiasm and friendships through comments made on here before FB where to touch base is a simple click of the LIKE button.
Having recently travelled halfway around the world and spent time with several PBasers I have long had a connection has confirmed what a great place PBase is for bringing friends together daily...
Now with that I would like to suggest a re-run of November 2006 using Máire's idea of archive images combined with new that match A Song A Poem A Proverb

Just a suggestion :D ( sorry those links don't appear to be live )
This is one of my photos and if you click on it then scroll to the bottom on that page you will see the link there

Cheers
Laine.

clickaway

Post Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:12 am

I like the idea of revisiting the A Song ~ A Poem ~ A Proverb.

For me, November is a month of mood. Some of it dark. Such writings evoke many moods, some bright and some dark and so I think this would be a perfect fit.

Some of us could customise this theme, so you could have nocturnal or gratefulness themes running through.

Alanis Morisette's ''Thank You' and Patti Smith's 'Because the Night' for example.

Ray

lynnh

Post Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:25 am

A Song ~ A Poem ~ A Proverb sounds good to me too. If any of us are feeling thankful or get out at night, there can be a sub-theme.
Scott - That Pinterest link is a good challenge and maybe one we should do sometime. I love the idea of that!
And, while I love night shots, I would need to drive to town every night to get them. There is nothing to see in my area once the sun goes down. LOL... seriously.
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost ~ J. R. R. Tolkien

vneilknobbe

Post Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:51 am

lynnh wrote: There is nothing to see in my area once the sun goes down. LOL... seriously.

Soooo. That would then be 30 shots of black huh? Sounds like an easy challenge. *L*

travelingrabbit

Post Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:16 am

vneilknobbe wrote:Soooo. That would then be 30 shots of black huh? Sounds like an easy challenge. *L*

Maybe we could call it "30 Shades of Gray...." ;)

emmelafoto

Post Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:46 pm

I like the idea idea of doing a song - a poem - a proverb again.
Would be a great tribute to Máire.

borisalex

Post Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:34 pm

Why not something like "Tell a story"

How many times have you had this interaction?

“This photo is beautiful!”

“Thanks!”

End of conversation.

There’s nothing wrong with this, of course. Beautiful is a great, great compliment. However, if you’ve ever wanted to have a longer conversation with a viewer about one of your photographs, then creating images with stories behind them, or around your own personal stories, can be a very important approach to try.

See Here: http://digital-photography-school.com/h ... ng-images/

lynnh

Post Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:42 pm

Boris - I like the link! If we don't do this for November, I think this would a good one for our next Back to Basics Challenge. Perhaps we could present one of each type of story-telling photo, Ambiguous, Personal and Documentary.
Thanks for sharing!! :)

borisalex

Post Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:51 pm

Hi Lynn, why would you rule out that idea of the first place? It's not a back to basics thing, rather a challenge in photography for a entirely month, don't you think ⁉
Last edited by borisalex on Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

janicecd

Post Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:56 am

Thank you Laine - I do like that idea of doing: a song - a poem - a proverb
What a good idea.
Scott I also like your suggestion, but maybe for in the new year.
Janice

And I have copied and pasted Maire's comments:

Thank you all for showing enthusiasm for this topic. I have a number of pmails from others also expressing interest and enthusiasm for the challenge. After some consideration I am inclined to let this topic take its own shape, without too much pressure on people to deliver images as if it were a contest. I think a lot of people drop out of themed challenges because of pressure of time, or pressure to produce new images constantly. All our hard drives are full of neglected images, like Cinderellas waiting for the godmother to deliver a new dress. Do consider some of those Cinderella shots for this challenge also: it may help some of us to refine our processing skills!
I think it would be a good idea to include the title or appropriate line of the song, poem or proverb you might use. In the case of songs and poems, it would be good to provide a link where possible to further information about the singer, writer, author.
Happy singing and quoting to you all!
Máire

johncrossphotography

Post Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:40 pm

bokeh

John

laroseforest

Post Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:37 am

I really like Laine's idea, using Maire's idea from a few years ago, and it would be a great way to remember her.

borisalex

Post Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:31 pm

Storytelling images with a bit of history too... :D

The house was home to numerous European princes and artists such as Czar Alexander II. of Russia, his wife, Crown Prince Frederick of Prussia or Carl Maria von Weber.

Next

Board index PBase PaD Discussion IDEAS FOR NOVEMBER CHALLENGE????????