Board index PBase PaD Discussion ANY INTEREST IN CONTINUING THE MONTHLY CHALLENGES?

PaD Discussion

ANY INTEREST IN CONTINUING THE MONTHLY CHALLENGES?

discuss photo-a-day projects
lynnh

ANY INTEREST IN CONTINUING THE MONTHLY CHALLENGES?

Post Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:01 pm

It seems that there isn't much interest in doing the monthly challenge. I've tried to revive it over the past year, but declining participation and commenting shows me that interest has waned and maybe it's time to quit. I hate to see it go, but the whole idea was based on us sharing our experience and challenging ourselves and that hasn't been happening. Yes, December was a little better with participation, but there wasn't much commenting and it was not challenging since we used old photos.

If someone else would like to grab the reins and try to resuscitate this almost dead horse, please do. I'm done.
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost ~ J. R. R. Tolkien

borisalex

Re: ANY INTEREST IN CONTINUING THE MONTHLY CHALLENGES?

Post Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:55 pm

Yes..dead horse! So Texan! It´s a shame this challenge is almost dead! We all got better cameras, better lenses, better software, became maybe better photographers, but we didn´t became better people and friends. Six years ago there was in January the Monotone Challenge with an overwhelming particpation with people from all over the world, like Argentina, Italy, France, Israel, Poland, Switzerland, France, Germany, Netherlands and more.. all not english speaking countries. Today they all vanished, all what´s left are US, British and Australians. I wonder why! Anyway, Thank you Lynn for your great effort to keep the challenge alive, I dried same!
Happy New Year and keep on rocking!

Boris

clickaway

Post Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:42 pm

Lynn, I'm afraid I can't take on the mantle as I'm very much part time on the challenges and don't have the appetite to become further involved.

You've done a great job doing this despite the characters we have encountered!

Perhaps we all need to take a break and refresh. I have been posting on here since 2003 and time does indeed take its toll.

ray

lainesphotos

Post Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:16 am

Lynn, you have done a great job keeping the Challenge going. Like Ray, I've been here since 2003 and it's not easy to keep up with daily photography when we all have so much going on in our lives. I've had to miss many because of other things needing my time.
A combination of the lack of management contact over issues and social media I believe are one of the main causes of members pulling out to go elsewhere.

Maybe a break is what's needed...it's not that it can't be revived later on as long as we continue to be members.

My thanks, Lynn....a job well done

Laine

emmelafoto

Post Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:03 am

Lynn, you have done a great job indeed!! Thanks!!!
I have participated in the monthly challenges for many years, but this last year not as much as I wanted to. To busy with my job. And another busy year to come. After next year though, I will have more time.
Maybe a break is not such a bad idea.
Maaike

laroseforest

Post Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:29 pm

I want to add my thanks Lynn for carrying on with the challenges for so long and coming up with so many great ideas. I am afraid I haven't been participating as regularly as I would have liked and intended, this year in particular. But I hope the challenges are not dead. Maybe as Laine suggests, we could take a break and then try again later in the year?

---Christine

jeanb

Post Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:06 pm

It's only this year that I've got back to posting in the Forum so I would like to see it continue. In the long ago day when PAD was new, regulars would visit each other daily, no forum, no theme, just whatever.. I've been laid low for quite a while and not always able to get out. Many times my PAD has forced me to at least try and saved my sanity. I'd be real sorry to lose that connection again.
Having said all that, I do know how disappointing it is to find numbers dwindling. A photo group I belonged to has also dwindled sickenly and tho I've attempted to keep its Pbase site active it's became a lost cause.
Happy New Year.
Jean

chenchena

Post Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:38 am

I value the challenges very much. It has given me a lot in dry difficult times. And more I learned from my fellow P-basers that are other perspectives on subjects, then your own. The themes inspired me also to get out and take photos. I try to comment as much as I can. I come into trouble with that when I'm travelling, that was a reason that I didn't participate as much last year as I could and would.I think Lynn you have doen a great job by keeping these monthly themes going. It would be nice to keep them going, if we could keep them going. I started in May 2009 with the the monthly themes through a wide lens. First I was shy to do so, but by doing so has given me more confidence in my own photography efforts. It is true that almost everywhere you can place and participate in photo challenges. Even my local paper has one. I have become good friends with some P-basers and that is a great plus to mankind! Maybe we just should go on, or maybe we should have a forum rest. I don't know.
Just som thoughts of me

Mieke
A (wo)man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his/her life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful. (free to J.W. von Goethe)

jdonnelly

Post Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:10 pm

Many thanks to Lynn for all her time and effort in keeping this group going. And I've met some really impressive photographers here! But maybe it is time to give it a rest for a little while.

Take care and Happy New Year to everyone!

Janet

lynnh

Post Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:33 pm

Perhaps those of you who want to continue can create your own challenges. I'll miss it too, and maybe later I'll join in. Happy New Year to all of you.
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost ~ J. R. R. Tolkien

chrishadden

Post Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:48 am

Lynn, you have been a true warrior in trying to keep the monthly challenge going.
My excuses (for that is what they are), are moving, health issues and very flakey Internet have kept me away from Pbase in recent months but I too would hate to see the challenge, or for that matter the site, dwindle to nothing.
I shall endeavour to keep going and maybe a break would be the answer. Maybe one person a month could manage the challenge.
Thank you for your all your efforts Lynn, I wish you and yours a happy and peaceful New Year and good health and happiness in 2016. Chris

mawboo

Post Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:01 am

I have been alerted to the fact that there is a dwindling interest in monthly challenges. I have partaken in only a few in my years of membership. They have been fun but time consuming for me. I am more of a sporadic photographer. Didn't even do PADs. Things over the years have changed in my life. There is no excuse for me as I know some people older, more mobile and working etc. who manage to post daily.
So that being said I'm trying to think why all you avid photographers are not participating. I think there is not enough communication among everyone. Some of us have not even come to the Forum for ANY reason. The thing that I was thinking was that when posting comments on anyone's photo the reply is always a private pmail. Wouldn't it be more inclusive to read other's reactions and insites to make it more like a conversation right there on the Comment page, not just half a conversation?
Just a thought.

mairead

Post Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:53 pm

Although I haven't taken part in a challenge in quite some time, I am sorry to see interest in them wane. I began to post on Flickr some time ago as a back-up to Pbase and there are numerous challenges there, with no lack of participants.
Perhaps those who are still doing their own personal Photo A Day or Photo Every So Often projects could post links here in an effort to revive the community.

mawboo

Post Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:39 pm

I need to clarify my mention of comment replies being private. I was not thinking of the Challenge comments but the regular posts. I just thought if we all could read the responses a photographer had to comments on their photo. That's all.

jolka

Post Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:26 pm

Hi, Everybody! First of all I would like to wish you, friends, a Happy and Prosperous New Year.
Participating in monthly challenges has been very important to me for many years, always a great pleasure to see your photos, interpretations, to learn new photo techniques and to exchange opinions. I am sorry for being out of it lately. Last year was very difficult for my family and myself. Plus I have had four different infection since October. Also my camera and lense was broken in August and I've got no money to have it repaired. I tried to use my IPhone and did the Sept. and Oct. challenge, but later it was impossible to take photos every day as I was sick. All this also made my visit to Pbase less frequent. I felt I needed a break. Hope things will get better for me soon and I will be able to take new photos and post them here. I really miss this every day routine and meeting you guys.

A big thank you to Lynn for pushing this wagon forward, you did a great job!

Next

Board index PBase PaD Discussion ANY INTEREST IN CONTINUING THE MONTHLY CHALLENGES?