Board index PBase PaD Discussion Well, It's Happened To Me Twice Now:

PaD Discussion

Well, It's Happened To Me Twice Now:

discuss photo-a-day projects
gpaai

Well, It's Happened To Me Twice Now:

Post Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:02 pm

Not sure if many of you remember me commenting some time back on how I was refused the right to shoot a light that was hanging just inside the door of a bowling alley?

Well a new Albertson's grocery store opened about a month ago in my neighborhood. I have shopped there buying things since day one.

I really love the ambience of the frozen food section, so I thought I would ask the manager if I could get a couple of quick shots. Without hesitation, I received a stern "NO!" "GO LOOK AT THE SIGN!"

So I did just that, and sure enough, it said no photography right on the door.

What is the deal here. If I were a designer trying to steal ideas, I could simply pull out my cell phone cam and sneak a few shots in. No one would be any the wiser.

Geesh!

Gary
I love photoshopography.......

gpaai

Post Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:10 pm

BTW, I'm not moanin' and groanin', just a little confused is all... :lol:
I love photoshopography.......

qjul73

Post Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:11 am

This has got to be some legal cover-your-butt thing on the part of the store. It certainly can't be because they're afraid of theft of orange-stacking design or whatever. Probably they don't want anyone to snap and publish pics that would be unflattering to the store -- out of date products, unclean environment, employees picking their noses, etc.

dog_breath

Post Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:11 am

qjul73 wrote: Probably they don't want anyone to snap and publish pics that would be unflattering to the store -- out of date products, unclean environment, employees picking their noses, etc.

but those sound like great shots!!!

isshinryu_mom

Post Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:18 pm

I have a neighbor who has the advertising account for one of the big grocery chains in our area and he regularly sends people into the competitors stores to photograph the displays, special promotion sets, etc. They use small digital point and shoots and try and photo on the sly. So maybe that is the reason... industrial espionage? :twisted:

baja_traveler

Post Sun Aug 15, 2004 2:34 am

On the same vein, I went across the street from where I was staying and asked the guard at Northrup Grumman aerospace if I could photogragh the big space vehicle mockup stuck up on their building for all to see. I received a stern reply No! - you have to get permission in writing to take any pictures around here! So I simply went out to the public street and took a picture from there. Logic generally does not enter into most security guards minds, as I made sure he could see me out in the street shooting to my hearts content.

framewerkz

Post Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:43 am

Many office buildings prohibit photography in and around their premises. Fairly irrational if it's about security issues because they can't stop anyone from photographing from a public place, as correctly pointed out by baja.

I was nearly pounced upon by truncheon-wielding goons in London taking photos of the latest Foster building. Apparently it was forbidden to take photos within about six feet of the building, but perfectly acceptable to do so about ten feet away, across the road.

Strange but true.
For the arty-farty crap, go here:
http://www.pbase.com/framewerkz

qjul73

Post Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:12 pm

framewerkz wrote:I was nearly pounced upon by truncheon-wielding goons in London taking photos of the latest Foster building. Apparently it was forbidden to take photos within about six feet of the building, but perfectly acceptable to do so about ten feet away, across the road.

Strange but true.

Well, sure, they can establish such rules on their property. Even if it's property to be used by the general public (a mall, supermarket, gallery, etc.), if it's privately owned, photography may be limited or prohibited. You're right that they can't prevent you from taking a photo from elsewhere, but you may not be able to use a photo of said place for profit without the owner's consent.

As for Gary's supermarket incident, I think we all know that businesses have a right to their rules and regs, no matter how silly they may seem to us. Most store employees either don't care or aren't aware of anti-photography rules, so we don't run into it as often as we could.

Julie

uberzete

Post Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:15 am

In the States I think you can take a picture of anything in public. Whats funny is people yelling at you not to take pictures (guess that tells you im not that good at candids) of them. Also, art vendors at festivals cant tell you not to photograph...you probably cant sell the shot, but id gather most of us shoot just for the sake of creativity and art rather than turning a profit.

I'm really just rambling at this point.

Board index PBase PaD Discussion Well, It's Happened To Me Twice Now: