Board index PBase PaD Discussion Spell checker for browser.

PaD Discussion

Spell checker for browser.

discuss photo-a-day projects
dazedgonebye

Spell checker for browser.

Post Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:22 pm

I’ve read a number of folks complaining that they have no preview before posting at Pbase. This complaint seems primarily about catching spelling errors.
I just wanted everyone to know about a free (to private users) spell checker that integrates with Internet Explorer. It’s called ispell and can be downloaded at http://www.ispell.com.
The program downloads with an English language spell checker dictionary. Other language modules can be found at: http://fmg-www.cs.ucla.edu/fmg-members/ ... aries.html
I hope you find this useful.[/url]

clickaway

Post Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:30 am

Thanks, but its currently offline. Does it cater for true English? You know spellings like centre, harbour, colour and so on. And is it true that in Canada some words end in 'or' and some 'our'; a sort of halfway house between Britain and the USA.

Anyway, another way to tackle this is Word, by copying and pasting with its in-built spellchecker. I use this for my captions already, and could use it for my comments also.

I'm a bit fickle when it comes to spelling (although I'm not that good, but better than most of the younger UK generation), and also preparation, such as upper and lower case, apostrophies etc. OMG, I didn't really know how to spell that long 'A' word. Its probably wrong :wink:

Ray

ukexpat

Post Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:51 pm

clickaway wrote:Thanks, but its currently offline. Does it cater for true English? You know spellings like centre, harbour, colour and so on. And is it true that in Canada some words end in 'or' and some 'our'; a sort of halfway house between Britain and the USA.

Anyway, another way to tackle this is Word, by copying and pasting with its in-built spellchecker. I use this for my captions already, and could use it for my comments also.

I'm a bit fickle when it comes to spelling (although I'm not that good, but better than most of the younger UK generation), and also preparation, such as upper and lower case, apostrophies etc. OMG, I didn't really know how to spell that long 'A' word. Its probably wrong :wink:

Ray

Ray, I hear you! As an expat Brit living in the US you can imagine my frustration with spellings and improper usage! I am however doing my part -- I have leant Lynn Truss's excellent book Eats, Shoots and Leaves to several of my colleagues here. To your question, yes iespell does have a UK english option.

dazedgonebye

Corrupted spellin....

Post Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:55 pm

I read so many posts from the other side of the pond that I've found myself using "...our" where "...or" would work perfectly well.
Perhaps in a few more generations, the influence of the Internet and TV (God forbid) will have us all settled on a single English language.
Who am I kidding? We haven't even been able to get you guys to dump that silly metric system thingie.

ukexpat

Re: Corrupted spellin....

Post Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:23 pm

dazedgonebye wrote:I read so many posts from the other side of the pond that I've found myself using "...our" where "...or" would work perfectly well.
Perhaps in a few more generations, the influence of the Internet and TV (God forbid) will have us all settled on a single English language.
Who am I kidding? We haven't even been able to get you guys to dump that silly metric system thingie.

We have only adopted the metric system in a half-hearted way: temperatures and weights and measures, but for some reason not yet on road signs (unless that has changed since I was last in the UK in October 2003). Be thankful that we ditched the old money system in 1972. Pounds, shillings and pence were pain in the neck for schoolkids. Luckily I was young enough at the time of change-over to benefit from the easier school arithmetic!!

jeanb

Post Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:29 pm

dazedgonebye wrote:..
We haven't even been able to get you guys to dump that silly metric system thingie.

You've got it backwards. The US is the only country in the world that is still old-fashioned enough to use old measurements. :wink:

dazedgonebye

Post Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:30 pm

jeanb wrote:
dazedgonebye wrote:..
We haven't even been able to get you guys to dump that silly metric system thingie.

You've got it backwards. The US is the only country in the world that is still old-fashioned enough to use old measurements. :wink:

Assume sarcasm whenever I speak and you will not be far wrong.

Board index PBase PaD Discussion Spell checker for browser.