Board index PBase PaD Discussion How many are there now?

PaD Discussion

How many are there now?

discuss photo-a-day projects
gpaai

Post Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:13 pm

[quote="darter02"]Perhaps it should be called, “Post a Photo a Dayâ€
I love photoshopography.......

juliano

Re: How many are there now?

Post Sat Nov 06, 2004 3:53 am

:x asshole
Regards,
Ron[/quote]

darter02

Post Sat Nov 06, 2004 4:13 am

I was online when I got an email notification about a reply to this topic. Curious I clicked the link in my email.

I did NOT write the crude response that someone posted using my way of siging things. Either someone is calling me a name from an annon position (coward) or someone wants people to think I am calling them a name (troll). :roll:

It is NOT me.

Regards,
Ron
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

stormseye

crude

Post Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:18 pm

I agree, there's no need for that kind of childishness. :roll:
Bruce B

"I have always felt that it is HOW one sees
rather than WHAT one sees
that makes any photograph interesting."
- Michael A. Smith, 1999

jjacquie11

Post Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:05 pm

I posted a picture I took everyday, I am done now. I think the PAD shoud be a personal thing and be handled how ever the person that is doing wants to. As long as they are visting photography often to improve their ability, be it taking the photo, processing it from a different day, or revisiting it from the past.

Who cares what others are doing? If they do things different from the way you do it - who cares??? You lose nothing, your still OK, except when YOU let it bug you.

I think the only ones that should not be in the PAD meta gallery are the ones just trying to get people to go to there pbase site, and are in no way doing a PAD gallery. But they ARE there and probably ALWAYS will be, why ruin your day over it?

Be happy take pictures :D

Jacquie Thuemler

stormseye

Post Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:08 am

A refreshing breeze of maturity and decency. Way to go, Jacquie :!:
Bruce B

- Michael A. Smith, 1999

moonlite

Where do I fit in?

Post Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:36 am

Not that it is matter, but here is my though.
I take photos most days, but it is rare that when I don't take any photo period, in fact I just read the photo meter on my camera (#1 cam is >12k and number 2 cam > 25k and I had taken photo seriously for 17months). When I am out on vacation or trips, which is at least once a month, it just last things I want to do when craw back to my hotel rooms then trying to sieving through the photos I had taken that day and doing the posting, I am just not that relegious. This made me a none "i" category, but I think I am not "ii" either, actually I don't fit anywhere.
I just like the format of PAD, because it gives others who does not having a highly popular gallery or well known to be able to show and share their work. Whatever category, I would rather see a good quality photos not a rushing up just to post for that day.
So why do we even need to discussing it or catergorizing people, they all paid their fee to pbase, I for one encourage everyone to post their picture everyday so we can see and learn from them, especially a good ones.
regards

isshinryu_mom

Hi Ron :)

Post Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:44 am

It's nice to see you here again (although it makes me feel a bit sad that there's so much grumpiness from some when you simply asked a little question.... wow.) I've acquired a new camera that I'm trying to figure out and so am back to PADing again... trying to anyway. I fell off the wagon :lol: , so to speak, sometime between September and October. Life just got in the way. I was sorely dissappointed having come sooo close to completing my year IN THE WAY I SET OUT TO but what 'cha gonna do :roll: ?

My sister has FINALLY bought a house in Pittsburgh... though the name of the community escapes me right now. So one day I'm going to suprise you and take you up on that offer of a tour of the museum.

stormseye

think about it

Post Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:31 pm

I'm going to stir the hornet's nest some more, but there are a few things that need to be said.

Ron's question was perfectly reasonable - and I don't think that's what made anybody grumpy. What set people off was Ray's response. My past communications with Ray have led me to believe that he is a kind-hearted and generous person, so I'm not sure why he chose to answer in the way that he did, but he really came across as a self-appointed judge and arbiter of what constitutes a "real" PAD.

Ray, you could have answered with something along the lines of "Hey Ron - There are tons of people involved in this project now in one way or another, and with as many different spins on it as there are individuals. It's really cool the way this thing has taken off." Instead, you chose a more exclusionary and judgemental stance.

I'm not sure what your intent was, but it appears that the result was that a lot of people now feel the need to defend their approach to their personal photojournal. Is this what you wanted? To have people explaining their personal circumstances and seeking approval to be considered worthy of inclusion in "the club"? I don't think you're that kind of person, but that's the way you are coming across.

I myself have a set of personal circumstances that limit, not the making of exposures, but the amount of time I can spend on the computer. And I don't feel like I should have to explain myself to you or anybody else. If you don't want to visit my photojournal because of that, fine, but there are others who do and I'm sorry now that I "disconnected" my gallery from the meta-gallery. It will henceforth be back on. Do with it as you will.

And why is the simple act of sharing a photograph now a nefarious effort "to drive hits" to a gallery? Aren't we all here to share? Aren't we all interested in attracting visitors to our galleries? You yourself started a thread with the expressed intent of "highlighting new galleries" - is that not another way of "driving hits" to them? Why is attracting visitors okay for some people, but for others it's a 'trick' to up their hit counts? Are there a limited number of hits available? Can we spend them to buy food and clothing?

"PAD" has grown well beyond its initial core. More and more photographers got involved, and they brought new interpretations to the project. Why not celebrate it? You were at the beginning of a Very Cool Thing, but you don't own it. What if Andre Kertesz and Alfred Steiglitz had frowned on others pursuing photography in ways that weren't like theirs? Both gentlemen actively encouraged young photographers to go off in their own directions (and one of Mr. Steiglitz's students was Ansel Adams). They did not say "Do it like I do or it's not real photography." And I don't think it's helpful or healthy to say "Do it like we do or it's not a PAD." Why play a discouraging role when you could be encouraging instead?

Those are my thoughts on the subject.
Bruce B

- Michael A. Smith, 1999

clickaway

Post Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:09 am

Thanks Bruce for your thoughts,

If I came across to you in a judgemental manner, I'm sorry, especially to those who have the spirit of PaD in them.

And maybe that is it. Over the months, a small number of people used the meta-gallery just to put up their photos to get attention - it seems they were never ever anywhere near PaD mode at all, and that's what really rattled my cage. I've even seen photos posted on PaD taken years ago with no apparent reasoning! It seems that anybody can post any of their photos in the meta gallery, and we just have to put up with this.

But there many others, including yourself, who I feel do embody the PaD spirit - a case of personal circumstances dictating sometimes, but I'm aware that some of the most stalwart PaD'ers lead extremely busy lives too.

I really do appreciate that a number of us cannot post every day, and take breaks from the project. I do not have a problem with that and realise that my own personal situation is different from many in that I have more time.

When I joined PaD, there were only about 15 of us, so you can probably understand why my view is more rigid than yours.

Let us not forget that many of the most popular galleries and images do not come from the PaD metagallery at all, and I think this is healthy. Perhaps we are getting a bit carried away with all this?

I was not going to comment further in this thread, as I just let the matter roll by and concentrate on my photography. But since my name was mentioned, I thought I'd better reply.

Now, where's that camera?

Ray

lisae

Post Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:39 am

Hi all, I'm pretty new to this as I only started my PaD project a week ago. I only have a trial account on pbase but will be joining up to full membership any time soon. I intend taking a picture every day but may end up uploading the picture the following day sometimes. I'm amazed at how many people are doing PaD projects, seems very popular! I just hope I can finish mine :D

Previous

Board index PBase PaD Discussion How many are there now?