Board index PBase Questions and Answers CANNOT UPLOAD

Questions and Answers

CANNOT UPLOAD

Ask if you need help using PBase.
andrewcribb

Re: CANNOT UPLOAD

Post Mon May 04, 2015 10:17 pm

barryrosen wrote:To clarify, the 503 issue seems to only occur when uploading a zip file of more than 100 images. The upload seems to complete, but pbase crashes while processing the images. Sometimes if I wait 15 minutes or so, all the images are uploaded, but not necessarily in sequence. Other times, only a partial upload occurs. To make matters worse, if the folder is out of sequence, I need to delete all the images to try uploading again, but the error also occurs when deleting! So I have to retry a number of times to clear the folder. What I've had to do is break up the batches into smaller number of photos. This is a pain when I need to upload about 2000 photos each weekend.

Has anyone checked the pbase headquarters (where are they anyway??) to see if anyone is still working? They seem to have vanished. Maybe those solar flares had something to do with their disappearance.

BTW, drag and drop has same time out issue, just different error message ("...process was interrupted").

Got exactly the same trouble over the last two months or so. Any zip file containing more than 60 images take repeated uploads to get it to stick. It is highly irritating when doing an event. It's time someone at pBase gave some advice on this matter. Speak up. Thanks.

barryrosen

Post Mon May 04, 2015 10:38 pm

I cannot get a reply from pbase. Once a month someone sends me an email saying they'll look into it. This really sucks. It has been going on for months.

mikelong

Post Fri May 08, 2015 12:35 pm

I suspect they're going out of business

barryrosen

Post Fri May 15, 2015 12:27 am

I'm still not getting any help from pbase support. Several of you suspect that pbase might be going out of business. That being the case, I want/need to backup my pbase galleries (I have hundreds) to my computer so I can migrate to another service. Does anyone know how to use the pbgrab.exe program? I used it about 10 years ago, but I can't get it to work now. I've input all the commands correctly, but it's telling me to disable my Windows firewall or name the firewall proxy. I've disabled the firewall, but the program still tells me there is one. I do not have a named firewall, so I can't name the proxy. Any ideas?

rindra

Post Fri May 15, 2015 9:31 am

Exactly the same problem here... I thought I was the only person who had this problem
Malagasy photographer

rindra

Post Fri May 15, 2015 4:35 pm

This message is always displayed when trying to upload.......... http://m8.i.pbase.com/o9/82/953182/1/160065938.e94CpFJQ.Capturedcran2015051519.45.34.png
Malagasy photographer

barryrosen

Post Fri May 15, 2015 4:44 pm

Join the crowd. Waiting for the Guru to finish meditating!

rsbfotos

Post Sat May 16, 2015 12:38 am

Friday 5/15/2015 approx. 8:33 pm. Location SW Florida.

Just a few minutes ago I uploaded 3 images of 800 x 800 size using the "expanded upload view" process. This is the only way I have ever uploaded.

Only took about 2 or 3 sec, No Problems.
---------------------------------------------------
rsbfotos
You can't see the forest when you sneeze.

barryrosen

Post Sat May 16, 2015 12:58 am

Individual images upload fine. It's when you upload 100 or so in a zip file that the site goes into "Guru Meditation" as the 503 error code calls it. I need to upload 200-400 photos at a time. I shoot about 5000 a weekend at the dog agility competitions I photograph.

mikelong

Post Sat May 16, 2015 7:15 am

Maybe that's why they're going under. Can't handle the load. No improvements in a very long time, problems with payments, and now no communication or customer support.
Hopefully people are creating new sites, finding alternatives.

paul_teixeira

Post Sun May 17, 2015 8:21 pm

mikelong wrote:Maybe that's why they're going under. Can't handle the load. No improvements in a very long time, problems with payments, and now no communication or customer support.
Hopefully people are creating new sites, finding alternatives.

Yep, it's killing my business. I've tried uploading a series of 150 images in a single zipfile to no avail. Then tried uploading zipfiles with less than 75 images in them. The sixth zipfile is not coming through. It looks like I'll have to either fire up an own website (cumbersome) or migrate to a site that actually works and handles user complaints in a professional way. Pity though. I have been a Pbase supporter for years now. It's a shame that the site is going to shambles.

Best regards,

Paul Teixeira
Photojournalist

step2me

Post Mon May 18, 2015 2:12 am

Having the same problem. Unless it gets fixed, I won't be renewing my account. This place was state of the art when I first joined.

ericsorensen

Post Sat May 23, 2015 12:32 am

I have 63K images and use 12GB of space, and have been a Pbase member since 2004. Thankfully, I have every zip and file I have uploaded on my own computer in case they go out of business. We are already paying more than other services charge, so it might be the right time to leave. I don't mind paying more, but when I can't upload a 300 picture zip (only 59MB!) it might be time to leave. At least viewing the site has usually been quick for my customers and family. I suppose Smugmug is the way to go, unless someone has a better suggestion.

mikelong

Post Sun May 24, 2015 8:45 am

Just my own perspective and opinion, gleaned from years of trial and error.

The best approach I've found is to build your own website, or have someone build one for you ($3000-4500). There's little chance it's going to stop working, and no chance it'll go out of business.
Doesn't make much sense spending $10,000 on new gear, but only a dollar per day (or less) on a website to display and market our work - today's most successful photographers have their own
websites for a reason. So, unless you're more interested in the photoshare concept, and/or a community of people to connect with, voting, comments, etc, then a custom website is the way to go.

If it's strictly for serious business, then getting a leg up on the competition is critical, especially using our own domain name. Then target marketing the URL to editors & buyers. Google will find
images on a personal domain URL just as easily as it does on a pbase URL, if we take the time to add keywords to each image, and aggressively market the URL. With over 2 BILLION photos now
uploaded each day, however, I don't rely much on Google search. Instead, I work directly with editors who now generally ignore cold calls, and don't pay much attention to spontaneous queries anymore,
relying more on referrals from professionals they already know and trust. They don't have time to search thousands of thumbnail images, will usually take a cursory look at a website, and if impressed
by the presentation, may request a specific image or propose a project. Thus, once we're connected with an editor, having our own unique website makes a huge difference (I've tried both), compared
to the cookie cutter format of pbase.

Here's an example: http://www.jimmychin.com/

paul_teixeira

Post Sun May 24, 2015 12:47 pm

Hi Mike,

I agree with you that having an own site is the best option. I've relied on pbase.com for years because of it easy way of uploading etc. photo's. Since most of my work is sold through agencies in The Netherlands, France and the USA, I didn't have much need for a full fledged site.

My pbase-site is primarily used to do quick & dirty uploads in order to give editors a simple way of doing a preselection (when there's no urgent deadline). But as we've all noticed, the service and reliability is getting worse and worse. Even to a point that I can't even use pbase for that purpose.

It's time to look at wordpress or something like that... Thanks for your reply.

Best regards,

Paul

mikelong wrote:Just my own perspective and opinion, gleaned from years of trial and error.

The best approach I've found is to build your own website, or have someone build one for you ($3000-4500). There's little chance it's going to stop working, and no chance it'll go out of business.
Doesn't make much sense spending $10,000 on new gear, but only a dollar per day (or less) on a website to display and market our work - today's most successful photographers have their own
websites for a reason. So, unless you're more interested in the photoshare concept, and/or a community of people to connect with, voting, comments, etc, then a custom website is the way to go.

If it's strictly for serious business, then getting a leg up on the competition is critical, especially using our own domain name. Then target marketing the URL to editors & buyers. Google will find
images on a personal domain URL just as easily as it does on a pbase URL, if we take the time to add keywords to each image, and aggressively market the URL. With over 2 BILLION photos now
uploaded each day, however, I don't rely much on Google search. Instead, I work directly with editors who now generally ignore cold calls, and don't pay much attention to spontaneous queries anymore,
relying more on referrals from professionals they already know and trust. They don't have time to search thousands of thumbnail images, will usually take a cursory look at a website, and if impressed
by the presentation, may request a specific image or propose a project. Thus, once we're connected with an editor, having our own unique website makes a huge difference (I've tried both), compared
to the cookie cutter format of pbase.

Here's an example: http://www.jimmychin.com/

Previous

Board index PBase Questions and Answers CANNOT UPLOAD