Board index PBase Questions and Answers Improve the site

Questions and Answers

Improve the site

Ask if you need help using PBase.
fishit

Re: Improve the site

Post Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:05 pm

"Leaving is only an option for me if I find something comparable in terms of traffic and customization, and I have not." - Walter

Likely will not either, there are not really any place like this one left on the Internet.
Smug is a Gallery space, FlickR is slow and to commercial, 500px never really appealed to me, interactive photo sites seems gone.
That is what is sad about slug and Emily just no longer really caring about PBase or the customers the slow decline of PBase goes on.

For $23 a year it is worth the linking and history but as mentioned people are leaving the slowness will keep new people away.
All this website really needed was a little more effort by management but that seems clear it will not happen they do not even answer email.
Something else has taken over slug and Emily's time and energy, it is clear PBase is no longer a priority for them for what ever reasons.

After 16 years it just is no longer a priority to Emily or slug, likely kids, other work and life have taken over.
I will stick around but I do find it harder to come here daily and post to comment on pictures, maybe that will change.

jojie_alcantara

Post Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:44 pm

TO QUOTE A VERY ENTHUSIASTIC INDIVIDUAL SEVERAL YEARS AGO :

"I am Chuck Neel, aka Slug. A brief history of PBase.com

1983 - My parents bought an Apple IIe and I sat in front of it for a few years.
1988 - A friend lent me his 300bps acoustic modem which I used constantly.
1990 - I graduated high school and went to Virginia Tech where they had 19200 modems in the dorm rooms. I found the internet and learned UNIX and rarely went to class because I was too busy playing games and programming things I wanted to.
1997 - Got a job at BDM/TRW and learned how databases work.
1998 - Decided to learn more about UNIX so bought a dual 350Mhz Pentium and installed Linux, registered a domain, learned HTML, and started making miscellaneous web pages.
1999 - Left TRW to work for my dad's civil engineering company which he started in 1986 and which I've watched grow.
Jun-1999 - Following a trip to climb Kilimanjaro where my friend's cheap point-and-shoot camera took better photos than the Canon AE-1 I carried around, I decided to learn more about photography. I bought a Canon EOS A2 and started shooting lots of film. Living near Washington, D.C. I would often wander around the tourist areas looking for anything to practice shooting. I couldn't help noticing thousands of people running around with cameras, and I wondered what happened to all those photos.
Aug-1999 - I decided to put my photos on my website and quickly realized that hand writing HTML and hand making thumbnails was far too much work. I needed some automation. I also needed a way to store titles and captions and dates and technical info. So I learned Perl, figured out how to make it talk to Oracle and Apache, and made PBase.com.
2000 - Moved to North Carolina to form a company with two friends. The company didn't get far but I remained in NC. A job sounded unfun, so I decided to live on burritos and pizza for a while and concentrate on PBase.
2002 - Met Emily who is extra cute and can write Perl. Plus she has a car which is important when we need to get to the ISP to install more servers and disks.
Mar-2004 - In March there were 118million page views and 3.1million unique visitors to PBase.com. PBase.com is currently ranked in the top 500 high traffic sites according to alexa.com

The Future - We will continue to improve PBase to make it a useful resource for photographers and travellers. We will grow the company a little so we'll be faster and more responsive to the people who use PBase."

:( Sadly.... it may be time to GO and LET GO. Thanks so much for the circle of support group through the years. I will slowly, albeit reluctantly, be pulling out in due time. My paid account has expired again and I have no further valid reason to renew anymore (the last time I did it took awhile for them to respond and reset my number of months). However, I will want to delete my images as I move on. User since Sept. 2007 until 2015. :cry: :( :cry:
"A photographer is nothing without his camera." - Eddie Cohen
http://www.kodakerdabawenya.com
http://www.pbase.com/jojie_alcantara

dougj

Post Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:50 am

The site was great in the beginning, pretty much on the forefront of photo hosting with lots of opportunities to create and evolve the platform. It was +/- a hobby for Slug back then, Emily added a dimension of evolution, but it still seems to be run as a hobby, with declining interest by Slug and Emily in adding features, interfacing with its customers, expanding the site as a business, or even showing anyone at pBase cares. Admins and mods have come and gone, so we're stuck with what we see and experience.

Previous

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Improve the site