Board index PBase Questions and Answers How to stop others saving my photos

Questions and Answers

How to stop others saving my photos

Ask if you need help using PBase.
luckyjon

How to stop others saving my photos

Post Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:12 pm

I have searched help but I can't find how to stop my photos from ''Save as" by other members
John A Thompson

dw_thomas

Re: How to stop others saving my photos

Post Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:22 am

It's strange, I have a recollection of a "Disable right click" setting -- maybe in security options -- but I just cruised around and didn't find it. Don't know if it has quietly gone away or if I have it confused with some other web space. The problem with disabling right click is that it could still be worked around with some devious html, so it isn't necessarily 100% effective.

reticulatus

Post Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:49 am

The option is still there, if you go to "Account Settings" and select the "Options" tab, there is a checkbox labelled "Right Click Disable". However, as Dave says, it is possible to get round this. Some browsers even have other menu options that make it easy to select and save an image from a page. The only other thing you could try is to put watermarks on your photos, but that might deter people from viewing them.

luckyjon

Post Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:54 am

Thanks for your comments Thomas, appreciated. It can be done because others apply it. Hopefully someone will enlighten us both :P
John A Thompson

luckyjon

Post Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:57 am

Thank you Reticulatus obviously I had just responded to Thomas comments before reading yours.
John A Thompson

dw_thomas

Post Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:33 pm

Thanks reticulatis for refreshing my (aging :shock: ) memory. I guess it hasn't recorded because I never use it! I do pretty much stay tight on the resolution (800 pixels max) and compress a fair amount to make my images less useful as far as seeing one on somebody else's calendar products, but I well know if it's out there it's beyond my control. I also was unable to find any hints in the help screens (maybe I was just up too late!)

That said, I have had some positive experiences where I've received requests. One got me a coffee table sized book for using an image I shot in 1965!

DaveT

amoxtli

Post Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:25 pm

To enable right click disable go to your profile page and then "edit your account settings".

Choose "Options" and then check the box "Right Click Disable". Click "Update" before leaving this page.

You also have an option of adding text that people see of they right click on an image. Mine says:"Downloading, copying or linking of these images for any purpose without explicit written consent is prohibited. © Walter Otto Koenig 2004-2018"

Notice that the instructions on the right click disable box also states:

"If this box is checked, your images will have right-click menus disabled. Note: There are many simple ways for people to circumvent this. This is Not an effective method to protect your images from theft."
Walter Otto Koenig Architectural Photography: http://www.wokoenig.net

General Photography: http://www.wokoenig.com

Pacific Photographic Society: http://www.pacificphoto.net

Board index PBase Questions and Answers How to stop others saving my photos