Board index PBase Show and Tell 138th Show & Tell Competition: In The Market- WINNER

Show and Tell

138th Show & Tell Competition: In The Market- WINNER

Announce and discuss your photos.
happypoppeye

138th Show & Tell Competition: In The Market- WINNER

Post Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:16 pm

Alot of great shots and a tough decision here. Thanks to all who participated!!!

First some honorable mentions, in no particular order, and reasons why I chose them:

This one from Clyne for an excellent composition and choosing just the right moment to snap the shot, giving us a great view of the "exchange" and what is being exchanged in particular:

The "great catch" award to Flo for this one - made me laugh:

The classic, "reminds me of a horror film for some reason" composition from William. Good eye seeing this one and nice composition:

The combination of an excellent close-up composition and interpretation in the note shot:

3rd Place goes to Kevin for a great, colorful view of Chichicastenango market giving a real sense of the "hustle and bustle" going on with the movement shown here while showing the color that this market in known for. Great all around market overview shot.

2nd Place to Ken for some tuna. :o)
This shot, to me, really reminded of me Tsukiji and tuna is the essence of this market. A nice little still that is basically the opposite of what you get walking through Tsukiji, meaning, this place is absolutely packed with people, buyers, sellers, tourists, workers. Forklifts flying everywhere, fishmongers screaming, bidding, yelling, throwing buckets of water, boxes of every and anything possibly conceivable coming from the sea being heaved, tossed, packed, sold, and everything else right in front of you ...and here Ken has blocked it all out and basically shown why this market is here and what it specializes in. A tough thing to do being there in the middle of it all. Great shot and great work.

...and for the winner. I had to pick this one from Terry. An all around great shot. Great exposure and lighting. A real connection between the subject and viewer with the eyes of the man staring straight into the lens, the man behind the main subject seeming to strain with the load on his back. A nice splash of color with the cloth draped around the man's neck, one of Delhi's many dogs sitting in the corner. Just a great shot. To add to all that, the "Transit" on the box really made me think of the people I met in this market and instantly equated that word with purgatory and how many of these workers are just in "transit", working their lives away here while hoping to be something better in the next life. ...a sort of purgatory on earth for them till the next life. Great shot.

terrybowker

Re: 138th Show & Tell Competition: In The Market- WINNER

Post Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:47 pm

John,

Thanks so much for selecting my photograph for first place; it is a real honor coming from a photographer of your caliber!

I would like to encourage any who has not had the opportunity to view John’s outstanding work to visit his galleries: http://www.pbase.com/happypoppeye

Congratulations to all selected in this contest. I will begin a new contest soon.

Cheers,

Terry

abecker

Post Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:36 pm

Congratulations Terry and the other finalists. Lovely competition.

bclaypole

Post Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:49 pm

Cool - thanks for the HM

agroni

Post Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:30 pm

nice choices
congrats to the winner

kgoneumd

Post Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:53 am

thanks for the third place!

kzaret

Post Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:31 am

thanks for the second place! this was a creative topic and we had excellent entries.

cits_4_pets

Post Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:07 am

Thank you for the HM! Congrats to the winner and runner ups. Great images!!!
Flo
Cits 4 Pets where Happy Pets Go with the Flo
http://www.pbase.com/cits_4_pets/
My Firefox Tthemes/skins for your web browser)

pajamacat

Post Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:42 am

Thanks for selecting me in the competition. Do not be afraid. All it is was broken doll parts from a street flea market in burgundy France, Thanks

Board index PBase Show and Tell 138th Show & Tell Competition: In The Market- WINNER