Board index PBase Show and Tell 162nd Show & Tell Competition: First Light - WINNER

Show and Tell

162nd Show & Tell Competition: First Light - WINNER

Announce and discuss your photos.
sandiwhi

Post Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:54 am

Hi all!

Sorry this took awhile, but I could see it coming from the first day... that this competition was going to be a real challenge to judge. And boy, was it ever. I started out with TWENTY-SIX finalists! From those I struggled to bring it down to six honorable mentions and the three winners. I had to leave behind pics just loved. So thanks to you all for offering up such a rich selection of pics and congratulations to the winners of the 162nd Show and Tell Competition. You done good!

Honorable Mentions - in no particular order.

Jim Smith has captured such a peaceful moment and great persepctive in this beautiful sunrise pic.

A. Keigher has captured a once in a life time moment of this icon of Acadia NP, with his perfect composition and subtle soft dawn light.

Jim Critchey nailed this amazing dawn silhouette of the ancient Ankor Wat. Oh, how I'd love to have been there with you for this one Jim.

You have to view the larger size of Greg Evan's pic to truly appreciate the beauty the compostion. The bridge makes a dramatic
frame of the city as it wakes up to a new day.

Dominic Cantin managed a beautiful view AND northern lights along with his capture of first bright yellow light coming up on the horizon. A great combination.

What a moment Ischell captured here. Warm light on the right, cool blue of the night on the left, beautiful lit buildings, and as if this isn't enough, lightning too! Well done!

Third Place - Tom Sherry
I dream of living in a place like this! Love the old landing that brings a bit of nostalgia to the scene and the dramatic first light colors that are what I love best about shooting at dawn. Perfectly composed and captured, and a great example of the power of the rule of thirds, this shot is stunning.

Second Place - Tinkettle
You don't get more of a sunrise pic than this! I was immediately attracted to the simplicity of this beautiful capture. The rising sun is so intense that you can almost feel the heat off it, and the few wisps of grass add the perfect artistic flare.

First Place - Dan Roberts
The Oregon Coast has worked it's way to the top of my Must Shoot list, and you can see why in this stunning view and capture. I love the vibrant contrasting colors, and especially the ribbon of pink reflection that both frames and draws your eye into the scene. Striking capture and a beautiful representation of the wonderful surprises in store for a photographer who's out wandering around in the dark, hoping to get lucky and be able to capture a once in a lifetime show like this. You'll want to click through and enjoy this one in a larger size.

Congrats Dan, it's all yours!
Last edited by sandiwhi on Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:52 pm, edited 14 times in total.

dominiccantin

Re: 162nd Show & Tell Competition: First Light - WINNER

Post Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:44 am

Congrats to the winner 8) and thanks for the HM !

Dom :)

scenicsolitude

Post Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:15 am

Really appreciate the honerable mention Sandi. The winning shot was very worthy indeed! Outstanding work Dan!
Greg Evans (Scenic Solitude)

tinkettle

Post Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:11 am

Wow, just logged on and saw that I had a second place, sooooo pleased! Thankyou kindly Sandi and I am glad you like the shot. The other entries were of real quality so I never expected to compete against such talent - so many fantastic images. Congratulations to the winner - worthy indeed.

chasp

Post Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:01 pm

Sandi,
I was not mentioned.....and I don't mind at all. :D You were right about so many great shots. The theme was great one, and the entries were spectacular. I am sure it was very difficult to get down to your final selections, and you did yourself proud. Congrats to Dan and to all of the other winners. Some of the best shots on pBase.

Chas

terrybowker

Post Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:17 am

Very nice contest SANDI! Great selections! Congratulations!!!! to all of the winners!!!!!!!!!

akeigher

Post Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:49 am

Thank you very much for the honorable mention - I am very honored. lol

There were some amazing shots and I really didn't think mine were even in contention.

Congrats to all of the winners.

drr1531

Post Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:49 pm

Wow! Thanks, Sandi. There were some great shots turned in for this one. I don''t know how you decided. But I guess I'll find out :D

lschell

Post Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:41 am

sandiwhi wrote:Honorable Mentions - in no particular order.

<snip>

Thanks for including me in that list!

Board index PBase Show and Tell 162nd Show & Tell Competition: First Light - WINNER