Board index PBase Show and Tell 293rd Show & Tell Competition: Fatigue - WINNER

Show and Tell

293rd Show & Tell Competition: Fatigue - WINNER

Announce and discuss your photos.
heffa

terrybowker

Post Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:41 am

Judging was more difficult than I'd anticipated, but the good news is that I had no doubt about the first place photo. The others are not as clear-cut; there were many great depictions of the theme. But, here we go, starting with some Honorable Mentions in no particular order:

grompem - down & out
Here Markus presents a nice image of urban fatigue; a street wanderer worn down by his daily grind. Interestingly, when you click on this color photo you are linked to a B&W version in his gallery. Either deserves the honorable mention, but I favor the B&W version.

amoxtli - 100
There were a few yawn photos submitted, but none that came from the soul like this one captured by Walter. This one originated in the creature's tail... it's the full-body yawn of true fatigue.

terrybowker - Asleep selling dried fish in Central
Terry has submitted this great composition that is wonderfully rendered in black and white. The subject's feeling of fatigue is projected from the image; it's as though I feel the same urge to slump forward as he must be fighting.

gillk - Havana Corner
Perhaps a non-traditional interpretation, but there's no question that Gill's photo screams "fatigue". Really a nice creative spin on the theme, and very well captured and presented.

azicit - Mother and Child
For starters, I really like Suzanne's portrait. It's rich in colors and tradition, and it features a nice blend of being highly posed and candid at the same time. For any of us who have done portrait sessions with children, we've been witness to fatigue. This is a splendid depiction.

Now, for the top 3:

3rd place goes to schultzy - SCH_5275
Here Peter has captured a day we've all had -- down for the count in mid-task. There's a lot of character to the subject himself (he looks like he plays varsity on Team Fatigue), and a lot of character in the setting as well. My only 'dislike' are the two people in the near background. If they weren't in the picture, this one would likely have fared even better than 3rd.

2nd place goes to peterschmitab - March 20
Several photos were submitted of sleeping animals, but most of them looked quite rested whereas these pooches captured by Arnie appear fully spent. It's easy to imagine a long, healthy romp preceding this photo. This sleep is not voluntary!

1st place goes to terrybowker - Asleep in the heat, Yuen Po Street Bird Garden
Terry appears on my list again, this time as the winner of the contest with a photo I just love. It's stark and striking. The composition includes a lot of detail surrounding the subject, all of which contributes to the essence of fatigue. As with his other acknowledged photo, this one really projects the feeling I was hoping for with this theme.

Very well done, Terry. The next competition is yours!

amoxtli

Re: 293rd Show & Tell Competition: Fatigue - WINNER

Post Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:06 pm

Cool idea for the theme of the S&T Competition Jeff. There certainly were some great submissions this time around. Thanks for the HM!
Really great that PBasers always rise to the occasion and submit excellent work, no matter what the theme.
Best Wishes, Walter
Walter Otto Koenig Architectural Photography: http://www.wokoenig.net

General Photography: http://www.wokoenig.com

Pacific Photographic Society: http://www.pacificphoto.net

gillk

Post Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:42 pm

Congratulations to Terry - the whole shot oozes fatigue ! and to other winners - and a big thanks for the HM. A great theme.
Gill

peterschmidtab

Post Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:59 pm

Congratulations Terry and the other winners, well deserved. Thank you Jeff for second place, the theme was unusual and worthwhile.
Arnie

fishit

Post Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:27 am

All good picks, congrats to the winners.

terrybowker

Post Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:50 am

Wow! What a pleasant surprise and honor, thanks so much for selecting my image Jeff! Nice idea for a contest with many interesting entries. Congratulations to all of the other winners! I will have another contest up and running tomorrow. :D

schultzy

293rd Show & Tell Competition: Fatigue - WINNER

Post Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:40 pm

Thanks for this 3rd place Jeff !

You're right, these two silhouettes just above the main subject of the picture are a real "weak point" :evil:

Congrats to all and especially to the winner :wink:

azicit

Post Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:07 pm

Thank you for the HM. What a great and creative theme for this contest. Congratulations to all the winners. Really enjoyed this one

Board index PBase Show and Tell 293rd Show & Tell Competition: Fatigue - WINNER