Board index PBase PaD Discussion Soliciting popularity

PaD Discussion

Soliciting popularity

discuss photo-a-day projects
michaelsv

Soliciting popularity

Post Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:19 am

I know that I'm probably will be among minority on PBase with the issue that starting bother me more and more. I noticed that the race for popularity of galleries entered the new phase - direct soliciting of popularity.
It goes like this... "please vote for my gallery since I need it to be on top of the popular for these and these reasons.... Oh and the reasons are very well explained and great.

This is not a secret, everyone is hoping and wishing their galleries will be on top of the list, but I think some latest things just unethical...

Probably you think I'm not right, well, story of my life...

Michael.
Last edited by michaelsv on Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

camera0bug

Post Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:28 am

Well I sure hope you voted for their galleries so they can be number one.

It's good to be the King!

bobfloyd

Post Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:55 pm

I completely agree with you Michael. I have long since stopped voting for anyone who appears to be soliciting my vote. For that matter, I don't even comment in that situation anymore.

I think we all would like to have more views, comments and votes. However, if asking for them is what it takes then I think that just cheapens it.

clickaway

Post Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:49 pm

Oh, if anyone approaches me on that one, they aren't likely to see me again :twisted:

Ray

djwixx

Post Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:18 am

I can't believe people are cheeky enough to ask. It would certainly make me consider a big FU!!! I already feel guilty enough just adding stuff to the Show and Tells and feeling like I'm screaming LOOK AT ME so I've sort of stopped that as well!!

djwixx

Post Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:45 pm

Following this forum someone sent me an example,

"Hi,

How are you? Sorry, I've been out of town and haven't been on Pbase for a while. I hope all is going fine with you and family.

When you have time, I warmly invite you to visit my latest gallery. I was given a chance to participate in a program for the wildlife conservation. I'm planning to sell some of my photos to raise money, in which will be contributed to the foundation. But, my sale is dependent on the popularity and support for this gallery: http://www.pbase.com/imagine_nation/the ... he_furious So, I hope you can lend me your support!

All animals deserve a chance at life.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

I look forward to seeing your new galleries. I have no doubt they will be beyond spectacular.

Sincerely,"

I'll let you decide on the merits of the request!!!!!!!!!!

Personally, if it was me ,I'd at least quote which 'foundation' and a send a follow up note thanking everyone for the support and letting them know how successful the 'charity' drive was!?

stuegan

Post Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:53 pm

I was going to stop posting in here since I'm not doing a PAD any more, but I just had to after reading that. Hilarious. I think it's the "Sincerely" at the end that does it for me.

I didn't mind the first couple of messages like this that I received...now there's one every few weeks and they do annoy me a lot. Some would applaud the entrepreneurial manner of these things I guess, but to me it's effectively just spam.

Having said that, I've tried to promote new galleries here and in show and tell before so that more people would see them, so it's a question of where do you draw the line. I can't be arsed with all that tubthumping nonsense nowadays - it means nothing ultimately.

I don't suppose it said how many leopards get saved per 10,000 views, did it?

S.

clickaway

Post Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:08 pm

It's a shame people have to stoop so low, and having looked at that guy's galleries, he is a very competent photographer. So why does he then have to solicit his work in a spam-like manner? It has been said on these forums hundreds of times that if work is that good, it will get known.

I see his cheetah gallery has had a swarm of comments in the past few days, so I imagine quite a few people's galleries were "beyond spectacular" ;-)

Ray

wakenphotography

Post Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:40 pm

:oops: I visited and left him a comment. I'm a sucker for wild cats! :oops:

djwixx

Post Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:50 pm

wakenphotography wrote::oops: I visited and left him a comment. I'm a sucker for wild cats! :oops:

They were good pictures. Why don't you follow up with a comment asking how many pictures he sold and how much he raised for the 'foundation'?

wakenphotography

Post Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:19 pm

djwixx wrote:
They were good pictures. Why don't you follow up with a comment asking how many pictures he sold and how much he raised for the 'foundation'?

I'm just wondering it he knows how many people he upset......

djwixx

Post Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:49 pm

I added the following comment to the gallery in question.....

"With all the comments and votes you received and your gallery appearing in the populars I was wondering how many pictures you managed to sell and how much money you raised for the foundation?
Thanks"

djwixx

Post Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:21 pm

I just checked back and my comment was deleted so we could all spam the gallery with the same question!!??

I just posted the comment again, but I suspect it'll be gone shortly!

jypsee

why on earth do you care...

Post Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:41 pm

... about "popular" pictures? Popular doesn't translate to "worth viewing" or "excellent" or... good. It only means a mass of viewers voted. Masses voting is not an indication that the photo is anything but "popular." There are lots of people on this site who are "popular," but they don't necessarily make good photos. They just do a good job of networking and chatting up the audience.

clickaway

Post Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:01 pm

I totally agree with you Mary.

I spotted a very ordinary picture of an animal near the top of the populars. I feel it may have been voted for on friendship grounds, but also because the subject matter was seen as cute.

But there again, I see many many pictures here on PBase taken by very creative and artistic photographers and they hardly get a look in. What's more, the people I have in mind don't go touting for votes - they just enjoy their hobby or maybe are happy to make a few bucks from their talents.

Ray

Next

Board index PBase PaD Discussion Soliciting popularity