Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Adobe or Aperture???

Photo Editing Software

Adobe or Aperture???

darrell_mckay64

Adobe or Aperture???

Post Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:37 pm

I am a mac user and love iphoto but am looking at trying something with more editing tools and was comparing.....or trying to compare the two programs above.....I know a bit about Aperture and nothing about adobe photoshop....except Ap is 3 times the price.....any feed back would be helpful....Thanks in advance.

marxz

Post Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:49 am

I tried both extensively and personally I like Lightroom. It has IMHO a better, cleaner and easier to use interface, I found Aperture's interface to be less intuitive... but Aperture seems to handle multiple libraries more gracefully.

that said both are very good programs. I certainly would say either is an indispensable tool for even amateur enthusiasts like me - these days 98% of my "non artistic" images never even see photoshop for adjustments or editing as unless it needs layer masking it's all done in Lightroom.
there is no .sig

abpolyak

Post Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:44 pm

Photoshop and Aperture are different programs for different
tasks. Lightroom and Aperture are closer. On Mac I would suggest
Aperture. Especially new version 2. Powerful tools to adjust and
correct images. Integration with all programs: iPhoto, iLive,
iWork. Smart folders, Light Table, books, web, slide show
publishing. No restriction on where images were saved. There are
videos on Aperture web page. Interface is up to personal preferences. I
recently switched to Mac and from Lightroom to Aperture.

andy153

Re: Adobe or Aperture???

Post Wed May 21, 2008 10:22 am

Hi there I agree with the last post - they are programs for two different functions. Photoshop is the best editor - Aperture the best cataloguer - However the new Aperture 2.1 is rapidly gaining editing plugins - Nik Software Viveza and Dfx Filters from Tiffen - Burn & Shade from Apple - there are many others in the pipeline - so unless you are in a hurry I would go for Aperture 2.1 which also seams perfectly with Photoshop or Elements as an external editor. This is done through the preferences of Aperture and activated through the "IMAGE" heading. It comes up as "Edit With" - the editing is then done in this external software but when you press "SAVE" it automatically adds a version to the Master Image in Aperture.

Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Adobe or Aperture???