Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Articles, links with information about IPTC?

Photo Editing Software

Articles, links with information about IPTC?

defpbase

Articles, links with information about IPTC?

Post Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:12 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking for articles and links so that I can learn more about IPTC information. IPTC is new to me, so I'm trying to find out how this impacts my digital images. I didn't find much in the forums already, except several requests for PBase to automatically read that info., like this thread:
http://forum.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?t=11493

But I'd like to start at the beginning and learn about IPTC in general. I downloaded an image program and inserted comments and copyright into a few images. At work I also see that Photoshop allows edits to that information, but doesn't necessarily call it IPTC. But I still have questions. What does "embed" really mean? Will that information really stay with the photo, unless a site like PBase removes it? If others have image programs that allow IPTC editing, can't anyone change any photo's IPTC information?

Anyway, if you would be so kind, please share what you know and any links about IPTC.

Thanks much, Dianne

... I also just realized I have no idea what IPTC stands for.

halesr

Post Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:45 pm

You might want to check this link to learn about IPTC Standards and much, much more.

http://www.controlledvocabulary.com/imagedatabases/iptc_naa.html

bred

Re: Articles, links with information about IPTC?

Post Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:50 pm

defpbase wrote:
But I'd like to start at the beginning and learn about IPTC in general. I downloaded an image program and inserted comments and copyright into a few images. At work I also see that Photoshop allows edits to that information, but doesn't necessarily call it IPTC. But I still have questions. What does "embed" really mean? Will that information really stay with the photo, unless a site like PBase removes it? If others have image programs that allow IPTC editing, can't anyone change any photo's IPTC information?

Anyway, if you would be so kind, please share what you know and any links about IPTC.

Thanks much, Dianne

... I also just realized I have no idea what IPTC stands for.

The IPTC standard allows you to embed captions, keywords and loads of other text descriptions regarding Picture Subject into .jpg and other files using many different image editors and viewers - from Photoshop to the PicaJet.
So you never loss this information even after reinstaling your image management software.

You can try out our PicaJet FX Photo Organizer which allows you to edit your IPTC/EXIF fields even in batch mode.

http://www.picajet.com

You can get the user guide here
http://www.iptc.org/IPTC4XMP/
Look for Full IPTC Core Download on the right. The PDF file is in the zip file.

ckimmerle

Re: Articles, links with information about IPTC?

Post Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:09 am

defpbase wrote:What does "embed" really mean?

Just means the IPTC information is part of the image file, as are the color and tone data.

Will that information really stay with the photo, unless a site like PBase removes it?

For the most part, yes. The information is part of the image file and goes where it goes. However, to provide smaller and faster loading web images many programs, including Photoshop, provide a "save for web" option that removes IPTC information. PBase does not, to my knowledge, remove IPTC data.

If others have image programs that allow IPTC editing, can't anyone change any photo's IPTC information?

They can only change the information from a file that they themselves have on their computer. Only the owner of a web gallery has the power to alter or remove or add IPTC information on posted images since only the owner can add or remove photos. So, there's no need to worry about someone editing your online photos.

Most IPTC information is pretty worthless to the average user, and much is worthless even to pro's. It's great for including caption information that can be displayed in slide shows or an image browser. Pro's use it for adding keywords for searchable databases and for including pertinent information (copyright, date, location, releases, subjects, etc) for use when transmitting photos to picture agencies or the home office.

The information added by the camera, such as date, exposure, lens, etc., is nice to have for future reference.

Chuck

Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Articles, links with information about IPTC?