Board index PBase Feature Requests Extract IPTC caption from photo when uploading photos

Feature Requests

Extract IPTC caption from photo when uploading photos

Request changes or modifications.
peterwaller

Post Sun May 08, 2005 2:30 pm

Most photo management software stores the caption to a photo within the .jpg file as part of the IPTC metadata.

:idea: Would it be possible to have this information extracted automatically when a photo is uploaded to pbase and placed in the caption section under each photo. In the same way that the canera EXIF data gets extracted?

5points

Post Sun May 15, 2005 1:52 pm

Yes - Agree, would be nice to have IPTC enabled on this site.

montmorency

Re: Extract IPTC caption from photo when uploading photos

Post Wed May 25, 2005 8:17 pm

5points wrote:Yes - Agree, would be nice to have IPTC enabled on this site.

This is timely, because I was going to ask for something similar, in respect of the JPEG "comment" information. Judging by what I see in irfanview (if you display an image, and hit "i" for example there is a "comment" button, (on the bottom right)), this is separate from the IPTC information. I don't know what the difference is, or which is more useful.

(Is the IPTC info used by some direct printing systems?).

Apart from being able to set and display them with viewers like irfanview, does anything much else make use of captions or comments?

Thank you.

ilanphoto

Post Thu May 26, 2005 3:53 am

And key words too please

5points

Post Sun May 29, 2005 1:08 pm

montmorency wrote:(Is the IPTC info used by some direct printing systems?).

Apart from being able to set and display them with viewers like irfanview, does anything much else make use of captions or comments?

Thank you.

I think IPTC is mainly used by newspapers, magazines, journalists, professional photographers, stock photo organizations, etc. - I use it mainly to embed image title, caption, location, copyright, EXIF data, keywords, etc. in conjunction with a piece of software (a visual database) that allows me to catalog and search for images stored on my computer.

Here is a link that explains IPTC in more detail:
http://www.controlledvocabulary.com/ima ... c_naa.html

I know of one Photo web site http://www.flickr.com/ which uses IPTC information if present in an image and automatically generates image title, caption, and keywords when a user uploads a photo.

defpbase

Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:46 pm

5points wrote:I think IPTC is mainly used by newspapers, magazines, journalists, professional photographers, stock photo organizations, etc. - I use it mainly to embed image title, caption, location, copyright, EXIF data, keywords, etc. in conjunction with a piece of software (a visual database) that allows me to catalog and search for images stored on my computer.

Here is a link that explains IPTC in more detail:
http://www.controlledvocabulary.com/ima ... c_naa.html

This sounds extremely useful! Add another vote to the request. I slogged through the above standards info. as best I could. As I understand it, we need to use one of the image programs or utilities listed there to embed this data in our photos, right?

It sure sounds like a good idea for everyone. Keeping the copyright data embedded won't prevent image stealing, but it might help in proving ownership. However - if we can use a program or utility to embed this data, can others alter that embedded data with a program too?

Any additional info. you have on IPTC would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dianne

5points

Post Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:41 am

defpbase wrote:However - if we can use a program or utility to embed this data, can others alter that embedded data with a program too?

Yes, in principle it can be done, anyone can add, delete, and or modify the data. IPTC is not meant to be a means to prove provenance of an image, it is a tool for associating visual information with text. For my puposes it is a powerfull tool for cataloging my photographs in conjuction with a software utility which includes also an IPTC editor.

stevegallagher

Post Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:01 pm

I use IPTC info to make sure info about a photo is not seperated from the photo, as it is embedded right into the file. Editing and resaving this info does not degrade the photo quality. I use the program Arles Image Web Page Creator:

http://www.digitaldutch.com/arles/

Steve Gallagher
http://www.picture.net

janniklindquist

Post Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:53 am

I know of one Photo web site http://www.flickr.com/ which uses IPTC information if present in an image and automatically generates image title, caption, and keywords when a user uploads a photo.

http://www.fototime.com does something similar. If you are using their software-product - FotoAlbum Pro - to organize your images, you can set it to sync captions, keywords and ratings to IPTC-fields - and back (useful if you are editing the images in another program). With FotoAlbum Pro you can then sync your images to your online FotoTime-account.

The FotoTime-account also supports direct view of EXIF-info (more complete than any other service that I know of) and of IPTC-info. IOW, you can upload any image containing IPTC-info directly to your FotoTime-account and be able to view the IPTC-info. However, if you want the IPTC-info synced into the Caption-field, you'll need to do this using FotoAlbum Pro.

IMO, it's a complete disaster that PBase does not support IPTC in any way.

stevegallagher

Post Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:33 am

IMO, it's a complete disaster that PBase does not support IPTC in any way.

This is so true it hurts. This is exactly the sort of thing that pbase has to pay attention to to not loose the lead and the customers, who are always looking for the best set-up and the most efficient way to do what they want to do. Add this or loose customers to someone else.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve Gallagher
http://www.picture.net

ukexpat

Post Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:29 pm

Would you tell us which visual d/b software you use -- it sounds intruiging...

Thanks.

careysb

I agree

Post Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:43 pm

IPTC caption and keyword extraction is very important. I wonder why this hasn't made it into the poll at the beginning of this forum. Let's keep pushing this one!

rageeo

Post Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:14 am

Please add this feature pbase! I add captions to all my pictures and then when I upload pbase them I have to manually enter them again! Extremely frustrating. I keep debating whether or not to switch to another service that offers this feature.

p.s. Thank you for the slideshow! That is the other feature I absolutely need.

highconcept

Post Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:10 am

Let me add the voice of a pBase newbie but old hacker to this chorus: I joined recently ($60 "supporter") at the suggestion of Christopher Michel (chris67), one of your more heavily trafficked members.

I was shocked to find that when photos are uploaded, you DO NOT read the IPTC data to find out whether or not the image ALREADY has a title, caption, artist, location, or keywords.

I have hundreds, potentially thousands of photos that I'd like to showcase with you, and all are ALREADY TAGGED. It's MUCH simpler to classify and tag with a professional tool like Photo Mechanic at the capture and cull step in the workflow, than do it online, ex post facto.

The thought of having to re-enter a title and descriptive caption for each one of my shots, using your web interface, is really depressing. And by the way, Flickr, a site with not nearly as much curb appeal as yours, does what I described: sucks in ALL the relevant IPTC date (even parses the list of keywords in the IPTC keyword field, and adds each one as a tag.) They got it right.

I hope you have this feature in your next rev. Speaking as a once and former programmer, it's fairly straightforward. You just need to give users an option to turn the feature on or off, during upload.

I'm going to delay uploading anything else in anticipation. After all, your stated goal is to be the BEST photo display and archiving site. Without this, you are not.

jengle

IPTC data - Use Title and Caption when uploading

Post Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:10 pm

This would be a great feature. Specifically I would like to be able to use the Title and Caption fields of IPTC data as an option when I upload.

Next

Board index PBase Feature Requests Extract IPTC caption from photo when uploading photos