Board index PBase HTML and Style Sheets css questions

HTML and Style Sheets

css questions

Customize your galleries.
bgates

css questions

Post Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:28 pm

Ok, I have been working on CSS with many good tips and some borrowed code from people in this forum and I have a few questions/problems.

I have used the code to remove the pbase bar from the top of my main page (and added a "powered by pbase" link to give proper credit), and it works fine here:

http://www.pbase.com/bgates/

But when I use that style sheet on a sub gallery, the thumbs push up into the header area, as on this page:

http://www.pbase.com/bgates/miscellaneous

and I can't figure out what's controlling that.

Then, I would like to format the titles under the gallery thumbs on my main page into two lines, broken after the colon, but the "title" section on edit gallery doesn't seem to "hold" html code entered there (e.g. <br>).

Then, I would like to remove or make invisible the text "click on thumbnails for full image" at the bottom of the first page (does anyone need such instructions anymore?).

And finally, I am using webdev, but the command for "view style information" under the CSS menu is grayed out and I can't get useful information, can anyone think of why that would be?

Oh, just a few questions!!

Thanks in advance,

Bob Gates

arjunrc

Post Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:24 pm

Bob,

1. I'd suggest that you don't use that code to hide the menu - it has several side effects .Instead, check out my galleries and borrow the code from there - if you still have a problem, then I'll take a look.

2. No, I don't believe you can insert <br> inside titles - you could however try to insert enough spaces to make sure that the rest of the text wraps around into the next line.

3. To get that style information un-grayed (ie enabled), you may need to reinstall firefox - this time, don't select automatic installation - select custom, and you will see an option that says 'Developer Tools' (or something like that) - make sure its checked - then install (Thanks to Alan for pointing this out)

If you don't want to re-install, you can just use the View->Display Class & ID menu option in webdev.

regds
arjun

bgates

Post Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:56 pm

Thanks Arjun, I pasted in the code at the top of your style sheet, but the thumbnails still cut into the title.

Great idea to add space to make the gallery titles wrap.

And I'll reinstall to try to get the grayed out menu back.

Thanks very much,

Bob

mrchevy

Post Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:11 pm

Bob, first is a screen shot of Maxthon:
http://www.pbase.com/mrchevy/image/47425462

Next is Firefox:
http://www.pbase.com/mrchevy/image/47425463

and going to my All Galleries page and clicking on the W3c css Icon and entering your style sheet to be checked I get back:

http://www.pbase.com/mrchevy/image/47425464

some errors, possibly the Property horizontal-align and Firefox have a problem?

That help you any?

arjunrc

Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:43 am

Bob, are you sure ?
I just deleted the existing hiding code you have and inserted mine - and the cutting goes away. I tested in firefox. (Make sure you delete the old hiding code)

regds
arjun

bgates wrote:Thanks Arjun, I pasted in the code at the top of your style sheet, but the thumbnails still cut into the title.

Great idea to add space to make the gallery titles wrap.

And I'll reinstall to try to get the grayed out menu back.

Thanks very much,

Bob

bgates

got it

Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:12 am

Yes, thanks, seems to be working now. The first time I tried it, I got a blank page (!!) so I must have been doing somethign wrong.

Much appreciated.

Bob

bgates

oops

Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:18 am

Now the "powered by pbase" image that I put in the header under the banner photo doesn't show up. Boy this is tricky, one change makes others difficult.

Bob

bgates

webdev

Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:44 am

and I did re-install Firefox and chose custom, install web developer tools and "view styles" is still greyed out. GRRR.

I was hoping that would let me see the code to make the "click on thumbnails" text invisible.

Bob

arjunrc

Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:01 am

Bob, my fault:

The hiding code did not take into account that you may use tables to display your images in the description area - the CSS was hiding your powered by image since it was in a table

Try adding this line to the end of the hiding code in your CSS

Code: Select all
body div.galleryheader table td a img {display:inline;}

It works in Firefox - let me know if it does not work in IE

Also, when you reinstall Firefox, please ensure you selected 'Custom INstall' and then later checked on the option that says Install 'Developer Tools' (webdev is different).

regds
arjun

bgates

that works

Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:13 am

that works great, thanks, you are a genius with this stuff!

I did reinstall, chose custom, and chose developer tools, maybe I'll try again

Thanks much,

Bob

bgates

solved

Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:10 am

I didn't think to delete and reinstall webdev after I reinstalled Firefox and that solved that problem.

Still no luck on finding a way to get the gallery titles to bread after the colon or to hide "click on thumnails" on the main page.

Oh, well, I've made progress.

Bob

Board index PBase HTML and Style Sheets css questions