Board index PBase Show and Tell Subjects on a black background

Show and Tell

Subjects on a black background

Announce and discuss your photos.
ericvision

Subjects on a black background

Post Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:55 pm

I have admired other peoples' shots of flowers, plants and other objects on a completely uniform black background for some time and never really worked out a good way to do it.

Bored today, so I though I'd have a go... How did I do?
http://www.pbase.com/thecellartroll/black_background

Show me yours and tell us how you did it...

ronsc

Post Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:07 pm

This guy was standing in front of a building with a dark doorway behind him. I used the paint bucket function in PhotoShop to make the already dark background solid black.

Gallery at http://www.pbase.com/ronsc/people

gemmf

Post Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:47 pm

Personally I've never bothered with using a black card. Controlled use of a flash(es) will produce the same effect without a need for a black background.

Lots of examples in my Flora Gallery.

magpiejst

these were done on a flatbed scanner

Post Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:01 pm

agroni

Post Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:34 pm

dang

Post Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:21 pm

pinemikey

Post Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:35 pm

sdwinsor

Post Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:48 pm

rileypm

Post Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:27 am

This one was taken in the dark and then saturated, turned up the contrast and turned down the brightness.

ericvision

Post Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:27 am

OK, so how on Earth was the Dandelion one done?

You wet the bed if you pick those you know... :wink:

offtheradar

Post Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:48 am

This was done in a dark room with only a cheap adjustable fluorescent desk lamp illuminating the subject.

kerrym

Post Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:56 am

You know it frustrates me how when somebody mentions a topic, so many others respond by only posting their pictures, and adding nothing to discussion at all. It seems like just a ploy to draw people into their galleries to add numbers to their tally.

Well, I'm not really interested in exploring everybody's galleries, but I would like a few pointers if you're posted some example - to give us an idea of how you went about it! Trying to learn things here.

Thanks to those who have.
Kerry Mitchell NZ
http://www.pbase.com/kerrym

pinemikey

Post Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:13 am

kerrym wrote:You know it frustrates me how when somebody mentions a topic, so many others respond by only posting their pictures, and adding nothing to discussion at all. It seems like just a ploy to draw people into their galleries to add numbers to their tally.

Well, I'm not really interested in exploring everybody's galleries, but I would like a few pointers if you're posted some example - to give us an idea of how you went about it! Trying to learn things here.

Thanks to those who have.

Some of us are interested in exploring as many galleries as we can and SHARING our own galleries as well.

I would think that the whole picture is worth a thousand words idea might also be allowed to apply to the show and tell forums. Maybe more pictures and a little less "jabber" would be better for all concerned. A good way of learning sometimes is by simple trial and error. ( I know I have a long way to go and might never get there)

You know what the subject matter is....so get out and take a few pics. When you're happy with your results, share them here for all to enjoy.

lenightowl

Post Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:54 am

thecellartroll wrote:OK, so how on Earth was the Dandelion one done?

You wet the bed if you pick those you know... :wink:

... Whence the French name for it: "Pissenlit" (pee-in-bed) :lol:
Marie-Hélène Raletz (lenightowl)

Next

Board index PBase Show and Tell Subjects on a black background