Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Adapt 35mm nikon lens for EOS 350D?

Digital Cameras

Adapt 35mm nikon lens for EOS 350D?

alexellisuk

Adapt 35mm nikon lens for EOS 350D?

Post Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:39 pm

My friend has a Nikon 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 D in the nikon mount. Does anyone know if it's possible to mount this in some way onto my EOS 350D and whether it would be compatible?

I am assuming there is some adapter ring I could pick up for it.

Thanks guys.

dang

Post Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:59 am

I'm not aware of an adapter for this specific configuration. And if you added something thick enough to change the mount, you wouldn't be able to focus to infinity I wouldn't think. Just my humble opinion.

cameraguy21773

Post Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:15 am

I believe that Nikon F-mount lenses can be adapted for use on a Canon but the reverse does not work.

dougj

Post Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:34 am

The adapter ring is one challenge, you will loose autofocus. This may not be too bad, but consider at 300mm, 25 ft from the subject, f5.6, the DOF is only about 6 inches on that camera.

The 350D does not have a manual focus screen, so achieving good focus will be difficult under some conditions, such as above. This is the extreme, the DOF improves at shorter focal lengths and/or with a smaller aperture. Just something to consider.

dang

Post Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:49 am

In that case, you might check ebay for adapters. This is the first time I've heard it could be done, much less that it was usable in any form.
Has anyone here used this combination with success enough to shoot with it on a regular basis?

ericvision

Post Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:24 pm

I used to be an advocate of lenses on adaptors... Until I started using them! Its not worth the hassle...

To get away without losing infinity focus the mount on the camera must be significantly larger than the mount on the lens, so that the lens mount and adaptor can fit inside the cameras mount. Canon is quite good for that 'cos the EF mount is big. If not, you need an optic in the adaptor to sort things out - these are usually poor quality glass.

However, you're going to lose autofocus (so no point in the big, heavy lens); unless you have a manual aperture ring, you'll have to shoot wide open - not many lenses perform well that way.

If you really want to do it, buy an M42 adaptor from ebay and get an M42 mount 300mm lens (wont cost you much) and then at least you'll be able to close the iris - on the Canon your metering will work fine in Av and Manual mode.

Or just grab yourself the Tamron 70-300mm for about £100 or the Sigma 70-300 DG APO Super Macro for £160. You won't regret it!

dang

Post Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:44 pm

There you go! My thoughts too. If it doesn't have all the functions, it doesn't work in my humble opinion. Take away autofocus and to be honest, it's difficult to use a long lens except in the very best of light. While it can be done, you might as well go back to full manual film days. And I'm so glad I don't have to everytime I shoot. It just isn't the same after you've grown use to having a bit of help. :wink:

putragila

Post Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:51 am

it is posible, you need to buy adapter from novoflex or Zoerk:

http://www.zoerk.com

or

http://www.novoflex.de

dang

Post Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:22 pm

Thanks for bumping this back up, since I'd started using M42's also and find there are some uses which they work fine for. As said, the 350 screen is a bit difficult to focus with manually, although it can be done. I've found having to take the extra time makes me think more about my subject, and it's not necessarily a bad thing though.
The main problem with some configurations is the adapters have added elements, which degrades the optical quality. Plus some adapters are as expensive as some of the lenses you may try to adapt. The easiest way is the obvious, adapting M42 threaded lenses such as Pentax manuals. But adapting bayonet mounts can be restrictive.

philway

Post Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:10 pm

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Adapt 35mm nikon lens for EOS 350D?