Board index PBase Show and Tell Tips on how to sell your images

Show and Tell

Tips on how to sell your images

Announce and discuss your photos.
sheila

Tips on how to sell your images

Post Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:25 am

I am often asked how I sell my images on PBase so I thought I would set it all down. For those who already do, please disregard this thread - "teaching your granny to suck eggs" springs to mind. But for those who have thought about it recently, here goes:

1. Google is your friend :) Every image in your galleries should have keywords and preferably something descriptive in the title. Do not use the IMG 01234.jpg as the title. Google will never find it! If you have many images in your galleries, insert a personal Google search within your gallery.

2. Make your galleries professional looking as possible. Get advice from the CSS gurus here. Do not specifically ask for people to vote on your images or galleries. Its not professional and its not a good look to potential buyers.

3. Keep the quality of your work as high as you can. Its not necessary (or advisable) to upload high resolution images. Buyers know that what they see is low res but what they will receive, should they part with their cash, will be a high resolution image. Watermarking images is also fine but should be removed when submitting the final image to the buyer.

4. Try to ensure your work is not the run of the mill stuff which can be found on microstock sites. If your image is unique, then buyers will pay for that uniqueness (if there is such a word!). That said, I am constantly amazed what actually sells. One of my last sales was to a UK website. It was a pic of a man with his head in a street bin but I guess it was unique. He was unidentifiable which is a plus! Which gets us to model releases!

5. Model releases should be obtained where the image is going to be used for advertising purposes. Laws differ in various countries regarding model and property releases so check out yours. If you have not obtained a model release then you must advise the potential buyer in writing that this is the case. Again, check the law in your particular country regarding this aspect. If you have any doubt at all, then don't sell the image. A year or so back, I was asked by a graphic artist for a quote on an image of a young aboriginal girl. It was going to be used for educational purposes and hence a model release was not legally required. But due to her age (she was a minor) and her aboriginality, I sought a release from her parents. The girl was happy to be published and she sent the release to them. I never received it back so I advised the graphic artist that I could not sell him the image.

6. What are stock images? This is hard to explain and I suggest you check out sites such as Alamy and you'll get the picture ('scuse the pun). Personally, I don't shoot much "stock" but a few weeks back, I spotted some school girls on a pedestrian crossing. I immediately thought that would make a good stock image. In Sydney, there has been instances of school kids getting hit by cars on crosswalks/pedestrian crossings. Photographically speaking, the image was OK. But it did the job. I have just quoted on the image for a magazine with a 1.6 million circulation.

7. Set up a credit card facility. Check with your bank regarding this. I set up a merchant account with my bank and its been priceless. Also check out PayPal facilities. Shopping carts are fine if you are selling prints but useless if you are selling to graphic artists etc. In Australia, as in Europe, direct debits are common but are more or less unheard of in the US.

8. Selling to graphic artists, web developers etc is far more lucrative than selling prints to Joe Public. Last year I sold an image of a frangipani (plumeria) to a large manufacturer of tissues in Australia and the proceeds bought me an expensive L lens - plus I had change. Pricing images is a minefield. Quote too high and you never hear from them again. Quote too low and you undervalue your work. Its the happy medium you should find. Never, ever ask them what they want to pay. Its unprofessional and makes you look like a rank amateur. I bought the photographic pricing software Fotoquote which assists me greatly. You do have to take into consideration what the competition is offering (ie cheapy microstocks etc) when you quote but sooner or later you will get the hang of it.

9. Keep a list of your successful buyers. Send them your updated galleries every so often. Also send them Christmas cards (where appropriate!). Keep in touch. Its all good marketing. I have three individual graphic artists who have used my work each year for the same publications.

10. Place your email in your gallery where it can be prominently seen. I know this may be a problem with junk mail but as I have a junk mail detector on my email address, I rarely get hit by unwanted stuff.

11. Download book-keeping software from the Web. Most are freebies but they do the job. If the buyer is local (other than overseas), send them the high res image by email AND your account. Put your terms on the invoice - 7 days, 14 days or whatever and if you want to be paid by direct debit, your banking details. I can feel the shock horror from US readers :shock: The bank details required for direct debit purposes are the same details you have on your checks/cheques. No one worried about this in the past and I have yet to encounter any problems doing so. Paying this way is common both in Australia and Europe. My husband pays his suppliers in his business and his customers pay him using this system. I also pay for my lenses this way. But if you are uncomfortable with this, then go for the credit card option or bank cheques.

12. This may sound all too difficult but it really isn't. The Internet has been a really boon to photographers so make it work for you.

Cheers
Sheila
Sheila Smart
Canon 5D Mark III; 17-40L; 24-70 f/2.8L; 70-300 f.4-5.6 L USM; 135 f/2L; 100 f/2.8 macro; 8-15 f/4 L fisheye

Blog: http://sheilasmartphotography.blogspot.com/

zainabdullah

Post Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:33 am

thanks sheila for such useful tips and thanks again for sharing. :)
zain's photo gallery | http://pbase.com/zainabdullah
zain's photo blog | http://zainabdullah.wordpress.com

jchambers

Post Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:29 am

sheila, Many thanks for the tips here.

Can I ask you a question. With the girls, zebra crossing photo, did you sell that as editorial? Considering the model release forms that may / maynot have been needed.

Model and property release forms is the hardest thing for my type of urban photography. It means most of my work is not suitable for microstock, and there is also problems with macrostock as well, which is why I also want to sell on my own site (maybe here at pbase).

I have also been selling commission work for architectual firms, but that is quite easy to avoid people's faces, and the property release issue is pre-sorted.

Then of cause there are difficult issues with copywrite in architecture. The classic one is the Eiffel Tower, which is not copywrite during the day, but at night it is, due to the lights.

I also heard that many landscape places had a copywrite. When I lived in Sydney I read that the local council had a copywrite on Bondi Beach. Any use of the beach in commercial photography required a release signed and they charged (at the time) A$500. Have you ever come across something like this?
In order to save bandwidth, I no longer have a signiture.

sheila

Post Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:51 am

Because none of the girls were identifiable (it was an image of their backs), there was no need for model releases. In any event, it was for a magazine and also no need for a model release. There is an exception to this. If an image is published in a magazine where the person is easily identifiable, then there must be no contextual implications in relation to the image. In other words, if I sold an image of a young woman for an editorial, and they placed it in the text in relation to, say, prostitution being rampant in Sydney (it isn't but this is just an example :D ) then a model release would be required. Of course, I could not obtain one I'm sure. If I can, I obtain model releases. Most folk are happy to oblige especially the aboriginal buskers. Its a quid pro quo. They give me a model release and I supply them in business cards in exchange.

There is always a big debate regarding photographing beaches. Councils such as those in Bondi try it on occasionally but it has never been tested as far as I am aware. You do need a permit to photograph in National Parks if you are a professional. But amateurs can usually get away with it. I have yet to be stopped anywhere in Sydney. Here is a link to an article written by a lawyer/photographer which makes an interesting read. This relates to Australian law as it stands and is possibly relevant to UK law. http://www.4020.net/unposed/photorights.shtml

Cheers
Sheila
Sheila Smart
Canon 5D Mark III; 17-40L; 24-70 f/2.8L; 70-300 f.4-5.6 L USM; 135 f/2L; 100 f/2.8 macro; 8-15 f/4 L fisheye

azdrew

Post Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:19 am

Another tip would be to make sure your web site is usable in a wide variety of web browsers. Sheila, not sure if you're aware, but your main gallery page doesn't work well in Firefox. Your wider images in the slideshow overlay and obscure your welcome paragraph.

sheila

Post Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:00 am

azdrew wrote:Another tip would be to make sure your web site is usable in a wide variety of web browsers. Sheila, not sure if you're aware, but your main gallery page doesn't work well in Firefox. Your wider images in the slideshow overlay and obscure your welcome paragraph.

Its a problem I know with Firefox but here is an interesting graph from my stat counter:

MSIE 6 10204 64.98%

Firefox 1.5 2525 16.08%

Safari 852 5.43%

Firefox 1 727 4.63%

AOL 9 296 1.88%

Opera 8 224 1.43%

MSIE 7 210 1.34%

MSIE 5 206 1.31%

Mozilla 1 174 1.11%

Netscape 7 91 0.58%

BTW, its not the best with IE - as the box is not centredl. But I have to go with the majority and that is IE. And then, of course, those with dial up cannot see the slide show as those who are on broadband. Its all a compromise. And then of course, there is screen resolution and also different size monitors.

Cheers
Sheila
Sheila Smart

azdrew

Post Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:26 pm

You can go with the majority, but that means you're possibly turning off over 30% of your potential clientele. That doesn't sound like a good business decision to me.

This articlefrom Web Pages that Suck was an eye opener for me.

(just for the record, I'm not implying that your web page sucks. Its just the name of the web site; and its a good source of information for web site design, actually)

sheila

Post Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:08 am

I have changed the slide show images to medium size (rather than original). Perhaps those who have Firefox can take a peak and let me know if this works!

Cheers
Sheila
Sheila Smart

azdrew

Post Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:18 am

It now seems to look same in FF as it does in IE. I like the smaller images, looks a little more elegant, at least ihmo. There does seem to be one small issue with your gray border and screen resolution of 800x600 (the text spills over) but its not horrible.

I think it now looks better in IE too. The image sizes used to make the welcome paragraph move around. Now its stationary.

One small nit - the top of the image does not align with the top of the welcome paragraph. If it would be possible to do that it would look just a smidge better. It seems to do this both in FF and IE.

Another "for the record" - I'm not a web designer, so ymmv. However I have been designing and implementing a web site for our church, and sometimes the small differences between FF, IE (even different IE versions) Safari and Opera have driven me to tears, so I can empathize with you here ;-)

agroni

Post Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:42 am

Thanx Sheila for the helpin tips!
I was just wondering about the prices! To you have any idea in what range the photos are beeing sold depending on the magazine or the company. I know that they might vary a lot, but couple months ago i had an offer to sell a photo but didn't succed because of this model realese (the person was a stranger :)

jchambers

Post Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:38 pm

agroni wrote:Thanx Sheila for the helpin tips!
I was just wondering about the prices! To you have any idea in what range the photos are beeing sold depending on the magazine or the company. I know that they might vary a lot, but couple months ago i had an offer to sell a photo but didn't succed because of this model realese (the person was a stranger :)

This site may be of interest to you. It's based for UK prices, but you would still get an idea. It lists different prices for books, magazines, commission work, web etc etc.

http://www.londonfreelance.org/feesguide/phboorat.html
In order to save bandwidth, I no longer have a signiture.

sheila

Post Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:48 am

This also my help you pricing images.

http://photographersindex.com/stockprice.htm

When quoting, you must take into consideration images which are being sold for next to nothing from microstock agencies.

Cheers
Sheila
Sheila Smart

agroni

Post Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:21 am

Thanx for the sites! I hope someday i will deal with such a calculator :)

trjsjackson

Post Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:18 am

Sheila,
Thanks for the great information.

What size files should one be prepared to deliver if someone is buying? I am currently playing around with IR pics which require substantial PS work, and consequently generate large files. For Pbase posting I am reducing the image size and saving another .jpg file which is larger. Any idea what size/resolution should be held onto?

Thanks,

Tom

bbfotos

Post Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:40 am

trjsjackson wrote:Sheila,
Thanks for the great information.

What size files should one be prepared to deliver if someone is buying? I am currently playing around with IR pics which require substantial PS work, and consequently generate large files. For Pbase posting I am reducing the image size and saving another .jpg file which is larger. Any idea what size/resolution should be held onto?

Thanks,

Tom

Depends on the publication. One music magazine that has used my work won't take anything less than a 5 mg image. Another that is a monthly newspaper can use an image that is only 200k.

I save the original image, all it takes is a couple keystrokes and a click of the mouse to resize it to what I need.

Next

Board index PBase Show and Tell Tips on how to sell your images