Board index PBase Show and Tell Most under-rated pbase photog? (LAST DATE: Aug 31 2006)

Show and Tell

Most under-rated pbase photog? (LAST DATE: Aug 31 2006)

Announce and discuss your photos.
magazine

Most under-rated pbase photog? (LAST DATE: Aug 31 2006)

Post Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:49 am

----Aug 29: Added last date notice
----Aug 29: Added text that says 'don't sweat the rules too much'
- - - - - modified with rules on what 'undiscovered means'- - - -

Hi all,
For the next issue of the PBase magazine, we are looking at the possibility of bringing the work of some photographer in PBase who is undiscovered.

I guess there are several photogs who are 'undiscovered' and not necessarily voted to the top. For the past few issues, we've been picking photogs from the popular list, simply because it is easier to find them. This time, we need your help to uncover those who inspire you but are not in the 'public view'.

INFORMAL RULES OF 'WHAT CONSTITUTES UNDISCOVERED'

1. The photog has 200,000 or less hits in his/her galleries (the count you see in the photog's profile) at the time you posted in this thread
2. The photog must have spent at least 1 year as a PBase subscriber
3. If you post the gallery of the photog in question, you need to state what inspires you (this will also be featured in the magazine)
4. The final photog who will feature in the next issue will be decided upon by the PBase magazine editorial team

5. Aug 31 2006 is the last date for recommending photogs. Feel free to add to this thread after that for general recognition to the photog, but for the scope of Issue 7 of the pbase magazine, we will select the photog based on entries submitted by Aug 31 2006. (I'm going on vacation after that :-( )

6. Don't sweat the nitty gritties. If you want to recommend someone who has, say, 10 months in PBase, or 200100 hits, post it anyway. Make your own judgement of what is 'within acceptable range'.

If you have suggestions, please post here.

regds
arjun
Last edited by magazine on Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

crischen

Post Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:20 pm

Hi thank you for giving the "undiscovered" photog chances. I think they are alot of photogs here that have amazing images. It's just that, Im wondering how does pbase work - as in what does one have to do to be "discovered"?

clickaway

Post Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:41 pm

How do we check whether a particular photographer qualifies or not?

Do we have to trawl through the popular galleries and popular photos for 7 days, 90 days and all time?

Is there an easier way for us to do this?

Ray

magazine

Post Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:53 pm

Hi Ray,
To be honest, the rules are not that strict. Infact, my guess is that the moment someone posts John Doe's galleries in this thread, a lot of people will see it, and it may even get voted to the top in the next few days, which then makes John Doe a 'popular artist' and he fails the criteria :-)

So how about this ? (And I need help in forming a criteria):

Anyone you know who is a very talented photographer but has not received more than 200,000 hits in his galleries - **at the time the gallery name was posted in this thread** (the count that is visible in his/her profile).

Does that make it simpler ? Or are there better ideas ?

just_tim

Post Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:43 pm

I think if users submitted their fav's by sending a message to the magazine user name then it would not make any other hits occur and would also keep the entries private.

clickaway

Post Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:24 pm

I'm wondering if 200,000 is a little high.

A good buddy of mine here has had her account for a year and has 169,000 hits and frequently gets in the populars with her photos attracting at least 10 comments, often more.

But of course at the end of the day the editorial staff at the magazine will make a judgement, and presumably review the amount of comments the nominated artist tends to get.

Ray

gpaai

Post Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:37 pm

clickaway wrote:I'm wondering if 200,000 is a little high.

Ray

I was thinking just the opposite. I have come across some members with two or three times that number, yet I have never seen them on the popular galleries. Not sure why so many views and no votes, other than maybe the voting feature was disabled.

Gary
I love photoshopography.......

arjunrc

Post Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:17 pm

How about everyone just post links of artists that they think are under-rated, irrespective of the actual hit count ;-) We can fine tune the numbers later then :-)

regds
arjun

jypsee

if you're referring to the profile page "hits"...

Post Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:31 pm

then you might want to consider that the profile page views (hits) are reflecting the photographer's own editing/views of their own pages; see this explanation from Molly on this page

http://forum.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?p= ... ews#126462

arjunrc wrote:How about everyone just post links of artists that they think are under-rated, irrespective of the actual hit count ;-) We can fine tune the numbers later then :-)

regds
arjun

sladez

Post Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:41 pm

Ok, I'll start. I often visit Chuch Kimmerle's site http://www.pbase.com/ckimmerle. He only has 92k hits but his work is really wonderful if you spend sometime to really look at it.

There are many others with the same quality but this is the first that comes to mind.

photoarrow

a couple of questions...

Post Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:13 pm

Dear Magazine... QUESTIONS

I'm missing something here... Is this going to be conducted as a poll?
Or will someone nominated, say 10 times have an equal chance with someone nominated just 5 times? Is this a popularity contest, or is someone (or group) from the magazine going to sit down and judge?

And secondly, are we allowed to vote for ourselves? Or do I have to pay each and every person I persuade to nominate me five bucks? Hint, hint... (Oh, I'm just kidding about that if you can't tell)

And, just as a side note -- yesterday I was looking at Clickaway's work on PBase, and after getting "totally blown away" by it, I took a look at his profile and saw he had over 2 million visits... Now, I know that he is one heck of an incredible photographer, and his subject matter, mainly people is a popular subject -- but what are these folks who are getting these incredibly high numbers doing to promote their galleries? Does their subject matter get Googled a lot, do lots of other websites give them links? Oh, I know it all comes down to being a really, really good photographer, like Clickaway and Shiela Smart, but are there any other secrets I am not aware of... (I know that one thing I'm doing wrong is not putting names on my photos -- I just use the filename number)

Thanks, and whatever the rules turn out to be -- popularity contest/poll, or a panel of judges at the Magazine -- this sounds like it's going to be interesting... And by the way, I really enjoy looking through the Magazine -- keep up the great work...

arjunrc

Post Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:51 pm

Hi folks,

1. The spirit of this request is simply to discover artists that you feel are not 'as popular' as they should be in the PBase rolls. To that extent, 'popular' is a subjective term. To add some perspective, one possibility could be that the person in question does not yet feature in the PBase popular list. If going through this list is too cumbersome, I suggested a hit count of <200,000. Again, these are informal guidelines. Please feel free to post galleries of people who don't meet either of this criteria, but speaking generally, please don't post galleries of folks who show up in page 1 or page 2 of any of the popular lists (popular, all time, 90 days). As discussed, the spirit of the request is to bring to light photogs who may not be as known but you believe they should be.

2. This is not a popularity contest. The PBase magazine editors will finally decide on who gets features. Therefore, it does not matter how many people think a particular artist is the best.

3. You can nominate yourself :-)

kirstenmary

Post Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:54 pm

arjunrc wrote:Hi folks,

1. The spirit of this request is simply to discover artists that you feel are not 'as popular' as they should be in the PBase rolls. To that extent, 'popular' is a subjective term. To add some perspective, one possibility could be that the person in question does not yet feature in the PBase popular list. If going through this list is too cumbersome, I suggested a hit count of <200,000. Again, these are informal guidelines. Please feel free to post galleries of people who don't meet either of this criteria, but speaking generally, please don't post galleries of folks who show up in page 1 or page 2 of any of the popular lists (popular, all time, 90 days). As discussed, the spirit of the request is to bring to light photogs who may not be as known but you believe they should be.

2. This is not a popularity contest. The PBase magazine editors will finally decide on who gets features. Therefore, it does not matter how many people think a particular artist is the best.

3. You can nominate yourself :-)

Are nominations public or to be done via PM?

arjunrc

Post Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:20 am

Hi Kirsten,
please feel free to post the nominations in this thread. If for any reason, you would prefer posting it privately, please email it to magazine@pbase.com. The preferred mode, however, is to post in this thread for all to see. That way, even if that photog does not make it to the magazine, s/he still gets some added audience :-)

regds
arjun

rsub8

Post Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:31 am

arjun, I tend to look at the ratio of hits to the number of images in a photographer's galleries when judging popularity / quality. I have watched some galleries climb from 60:1 to over 100:1. Some are above 1000:1!

If you go by the ratio, it's probably counter-productive for a photographer to add to their galleries, because it would reduce the ratio, at least in the short term... if interested in "hits." But I look for an increasing ratio as a better indication of posting good photography.

The ratio seems more important than just the absolute number of hits. Your "INFORMAL RULES" don't seem to take this important metric into account...

Cheers :)

Next

Board index PBase Show and Tell Most under-rated pbase photog? (LAST DATE: Aug 31 2006)