Board index PBase PaD Discussion If you don't have pictures everyday is your PAD still a PAD?

PaD Discussion

If you don't have pictures everyday is your PAD still a PAD?

discuss photo-a-day projects
gummyb

If you don't have pictures everyday is your PAD still a PAD?

Post Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:49 pm

What do you do when you don't have good pictures on some days? I have a day job and a family night job too! I try to carry my camera in my pocket but there are more days where I don't see anything interested or all I got are just garbage.

Should I start a POTW instead, post the garbage, or cheat on the date by using stuff from dates where I got lots of good stuff?

northstar37

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:55 pm

That's between you and your hairdresser :wink:

halesr

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:16 pm

A Great thing about the PaD is you get to make up your own rules contrary to some of the posts. Actually most people use padding to help grow in their shooting and they make up the rules themselves. How compulsive you are is entirely up to you.

There are numerous threads about how Padders have figured out what works best for them. You can do that too. You can post your own rules or just let it all unfold.

It is supposed to be fun! And help you improve! and that is about it.

HTH--Rene

gummyb

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:17 pm

Hmm...I think I'll WOP...for week of pictures. 7 pictures a week will give me more flexibility!

djwixx

Post Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:31 pm

I suspect next year I will be doing a PAAW - Photo As And When. Could be several pictures a day for several pictures a month!!!!

There are always occasions when you can't take a picture a day. There are days when I have more luck than others, and if a picture is still relevant to a 'bleak' day then I'll use one of those, i.e. I could have taken the picture if time and circumstances allowed. I won't post pictures of, say a trip to another state/country, when I didn't or couldn't have done it.
Last edited by djwixx on Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

annayu

Re: If you don't have pictures everyday is your PAD still a

Post Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:01 pm

gummyb wrote:What do you do when you don't have good pictures on some days? I have a day job and a family night job too! I try to carry my camera in my pocket but there are more days where I don't see anything interested or all I got are just garbage.

Should I start a POTW instead, post the garbage, or cheat on the date by using stuff from dates where I got lots of good stuff?

Get rid of the guilt and post as you like.

johnwaine

Post Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:22 pm

If the rules stifle your creativity then forget them. But if you are 'cheating' then you will know it yourself!

Perhaps PAD should be called "think about and create a new image a day".

The main thing is to enjoy, learn and challenge yourself!

sebtd

Post Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:34 am

Do as I do, post when you feel like it :)

I try to do it the most often I cant.

troonly

Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:43 pm

I'm into PaOaP at the moment :) Photo as Often as Possible! But not PaD...

jdepould

Post Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:29 pm

I've been a bum lately, but in the spring I made a rule to myself that I would post my best picture from every single day, no matter how good or bad it really was. On several occasions I feel it helped me figure out what I don't like and why, as well as compelling me to take as many photos as I could every day, and to try and take GOOD photos.
Nikon D300, D200
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D, 55mm f/1.4 micro, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G DX, 80-200 f/2.8D
Apple PowerBook G4, MacBook Pro
Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop CS3

wakenphotography

Post Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:14 pm

gummyb wrote:Hmm...I think I'll WOP...for week of pictures. 7 pictures a week will give me more flexibility!

I also go weekly...... it's not always easy for me to take a shot every day or get online everyday (although I try my hardest!)

It's also where I house my Thursday Challenge album.

http://www.pbase.com/wakenphotography/weekly

tim_arbon

Post Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:22 am

In answer to your question "If you don't have pictures every day is your PAD still a PAD?", well, I'm afraid it isn't, as PAD stands for Photo a Day.

Does it matter? Well if you regularly published to a gallery called "my favourites 2001-2005" I would be happy to look and would be interested. If on the other had you called it "PAD 2006" and I found out the photos were from an earlier time and not taken on the day, I'd feel a bit cheated because I currently do a PAD myself and like to compare my work with what other people have achieved. Also I like to support the other PADers a bit more because it's hard work for us. Hope you understand my feelings on this... it doesn't mean I consider people's non PAD work inferior in any way.

By the way, a common phrase used these days for non-PAD work is PESO - a picture-every-so-often.

jeanb

Post Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:45 pm

I started in the summer of 2003 and religiously posted a new image every day for the first couple of years, so my PAD is still my PAD, even though I only post once in a while.
http://www.pbase.com/jeanb/pad

carinoza

Is P.A.D. a Redundant Gallery Name?

Post Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:32 am

Oh dear .... now I'm really confooosed!

Read the reasons why at my http://www.pbase.com/carinoza/launch_pad gallery.
And yeees - I get a kick out of using the said abbreviation as part of the gallery name .... :-)

djwixx

Post Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:42 pm

Some of 'rules' posted on the PAD meta gallery pages,
"Many people have been working to take a new photo every day.
Please play fair and don't try to monopolize this page by uploading a new photo every five minutes."

Unfortunately (or not) depending on your position, using the PAD gallery option is the easiest and quickest way to share a new (or not) picture and get people looking and to get feedback, so I can see why it's easy to 'abuse' and tempting to use.

Most of my PAD is 'honest', but there are times when time, inclination etc. have not been there so I may post a previous days picture, as long as it's relevant to the day, i.e. I drove past the scene a few days ago but this time round I didn't have time to take the picture.

Where I struggle with the 'rules', is why would I want to post a picture for the sake of it that I'm not happy with and no one else would be interested in. Why pay money to store something that no one wants to see!!!

From my perspective, do what you feel comfortable with, but "Please play fair and don't try to monopolize this page by uploading a new photo every five minutes."!!!

I have added a feature request at http://forum.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?p=152377#152377
Feel free to add suggestions to see if it may help Non PADers get some attention and not take space used by genuine 'honest' PADers.

Next

Board index PBase PaD Discussion If you don't have pictures everyday is your PAD still a PAD?