arjunrc

NEW: PBgrab 1.1

Post Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:12 pm

Folks,
I've just uploaded version 1.1 of PBGrab. Download it from
http://srijith.net/pub/pbgrab_latest.zip

Those using pbgrab 1.0.9, please upgrade

The following features/issues have been addressed:

* Added a new option "-caption". When specified, it will download image captions along with the image (I suggest you try it with -thumbs, just looks a bit nicer)

* For a while now, PBase had changed the way 'private' images as well as 'direct link disabled' images are accessed. Previous versions of PBgrab would fail to download such images. This version should work.

* The GUI has been, well, fixed. Hopefully, it should not freeze anymore. (in other words, I did away with some of the frills that were causing the freeze in the first place).

* Fixed an 'image title' issue - in previous versions of pbgrab, if your image title had some special characters, pbgrab would mess up and not list it the generated HTML properly.

* For those using -d (for debug) you can now do only "-d" or "-d filename". In the latter case, the debug logs are stored in the filename specified (useful to see what is going wrong, if it does)

How to report problems:

Read this only if you need to email me about something. Users are encouraged to post general questions in this forum, and lots of folks who know how to run pbgrab properly may respond.
* If you are sure you are doing the right thing (right password, right parameters etc.) and the program is not working, the following would help:

a) Try and identify a single gallery to download, to localize the problem
b) Run pbgrab as:
Code: Select all
pbgrab.exe -u <pbaseusername> -long -captions -thumbs -p -d debug.txt -gallery <the gallery causing the problem> -password <yourpbasepassword>

c) Email me debug.txt as well as the html index file pbgrab generates inside the gallery folder it downloaded

regds
arjun
--
I don't check forums very often these days, so if you need to get a response from me, please send me an email (see my profile) and NOT a PM.

andrys

Post Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:33 pm

Wow, as ever, many thanks. This is one of the most useful utilities ever,
and the added features could not have been simple to do.

pinemikey

Post Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:25 am

Downloaded the latest and flashed it up. Works like a charm. The thumnails with the saved captions are the features which quite a few people here will really appreciate, me included.

Thanks again, Arjun for being a big reason Pbase is the best photo site on the web.

treeoflife

Post Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:57 am

pinemikey wrote:Downloaded the latest and flashed it up. Works like a charm. The thumnails with the saved captions are the features which quite a few people here will really appreciate, me included.

Thanks again, Arjun for being a big reason Pbase is the best photo site on the web.

Does this work for a Mac?

arjunrc

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:48 pm

Short answer: no
Longer answer: likely, if you are comfortable using the source file - there may be some minor changes to source depending on what perl does/does not support in mac - I don't have a mac, so don't know.

regds
arjun
--
I don't check forums very often these days, so if you need to get a response from me, please send me an email (see my profile) and NOT a PM.

fayewhite

Pgrab

Post Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:18 pm

This is great program!

Thank you!

missouri_skies

Does pgrab 1.1 still Work?

Post Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:45 pm

I can't seem to get PGrab 1.1 to work. It downloads only what appear to be icons but upon viewing they are nothing. Won't download an original files. Was wondering if the recent meltdown had anything to do with this.

Thanks

Dan

PS: It worked great for me in June

jkseidel

Post Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:01 am

I just used it day before yesterday. Seemed to work fine. No issues at all.

piotrstankiewicz

Post Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:27 pm

Just a small question - is your program capable to store localy not only captions but also artists names, location, shot date, keywords?

It would be great to have such a possibility!

If not, please think about that in future versions. :) Or maybe even about creating xml database with data about images (title, caption etc. etc).

Good job mate! :)

gusitar

Post Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:12 am

A thousand thank yous Arjunrc :) :) :) I was just going to inquire, as I'm about to back up, archive and (time permitting) reorganize (a long standing threat LOL). g

gpc

Thanks!

Post Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:44 am

Thank you so much. You are so kind to share this with all of us.

mtapman

Re: NEW: PBgrab 1.1

Post Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:47 pm

I noticed that pbgrab 1.1 will only download photos that have been viewed at least once. In other words, if I upload a gallery with five images and immediately try to download it with pbgrab 1.1 I won't get any images. If I browse quickly through the five images in a web browser and then try pbgrab 1.1 again it works without a problem.

I'm assuming this occurs because PBase isn't creating the image link until at least one view is generated for a browser...does that make sense? And, does anyone know of a way to circumvent this behavior? I'm trying to assist a friend backup a large collection of photos from PBase and I'm not sure they've all be viewed. I'm considering just having her view a slideshow of each gallery but that's obviously not the most elegant solution.

And thanks to the authors of this program, great work and a really nice contribution to the open source community.

Thanks,
Micah

arjunrc

Post Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:37 am

That's odd. It shouldn't exhbit this behaviour. I have a few ideas why this may be happening, but lets start with the simplest:

Don't try downloading immediately. Maybe PBase puts the image in a queue that takes a little time to 'show up'. So try this - upload an image, wait for 5 mins and try downloading it using pbgrab. Don't visit the image though. Let me know what you see. If you still face the same problem, we can go to step 2.

regds
arjun

pzo

Post Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:50 pm

Thanks for that PBgrab!

I discovered three folders of photos missing recently. Just sort of slowly dawned on me. Used GetDataBack on four hard drives of "recent" usage, didn't find a single desired photo.

Although the quality of the photos I recovered suck because they were low KB when uploaded, better'n nothing.

Many thanks to those who put it together.

Paul

pinemikey

Post Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:05 pm

This is a good example of not searching for the most recent thread of a particular subject.

Right now, since the new server has been installed after the previous one crashed, Pbase seems to be storing the images a little different than before November. This causes PBgrab to not backup any images or folders that were added after the new server was added. See here.

Update: It would seem that since your most recent update was in Oct 2009, you should have no problem using Pbgrab, but get the latest one, anyway.

Board index PBase Questions and Answers NEW: PBgrab 1.1