Board index PBase Show and Tell Winners- 66th Show and Tell Comp: The Decisive Moment

Show and Tell

Winners- 66th Show and Tell Comp: The Decisive Moment

Announce and discuss your photos.
kzaret

Winners of the 66th PBase Comp: The Decisive Moment

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:06 am

AND THE WINNERS ARE...

As I confront my own decisive moment here, I note that we had very strong contestants and this is simply my own opinion. Please see my comments above for more details about each image. Also, do the images justice please by clicking on them to see full size versions.

HONORABLE MENTIONS:

Timco van Brummelen:
[url=http://www.pbase.com/titatimco/image/55504885]Image
[/url]
The exquisite balance of elements in this image stay with me. I like how the tension is more subtle than in many other images.

Andy Thomas:
Many aspects of the positions, lines, and depth come together well at the precise moment the image was taken. It appears a bit posed but the overall graphic effect is excellent.

Eric Dutordoir:
Among the other comments I made on this above, this has an element we don't see enough of on PBase: humor. Again, I like the sense that something is about to happen here, but we don't know what it is (Mr. Jones).

THIRD PLACE:

Eric Heberlin:
A superb capture. There is tension between the two, in that she is looking for his return of affection and his mind is elsewhere, or at ease without having to return it. The sepia tones give a timelessness to the image, while on the other hand his peering out extends the couple to the exterior, as he watches time or other events pass by. I like the off-balance feel of the image, emphasis right, while centering on her eyes and the tangle of their arms. The tones here are excellent too.

SECOND PLACE:

Jeroen Bosman
This image stays in my mind; I just love it, that's all. The zig-zag of the road, the line of light more or less down the middle, the silhouettes and mix of soft and sharp tones all come together at precisely this moment to generate a visually stimulating image. It is a great example of how the elements of a scene can come together at precisely the right moment to generate harmony, interest, and beauty.

FIRST PLACE:

Alain Lestrade:
This image also stays in my mind, but as a dream. The slight HDR effect, which usually I don't like, gives a surreal view. The woman is genuinely happy to kiss the man. But the man behind seems surprised, questioning, not in agreement with or expecting the kiss. Then the dark atmosphere and the closed feeling, even though outdoors, contribute to the questioning, turbulent mood. It has tension, balance, fates, and background/foreground interaction. Great job here and congratulations Alain.

Alain, next week is up to you!

Best regards, everyone, and drop by sometime!

Ken Zaret

http://www.pbase.com/kzaret

terrybowker

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:07 am

Wow ! Outstanding work, congratulations! A big thanks to Ken is in order !!!

alain_lestrade

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:27 am

Thank you so much Ken, I'm proud to win this contest because your choise of the topic "decisive moment" was very interesting and actually, fundamental in photo.

Thank you again and congratulations to all the participants & finalists.

Regards.

jaac

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:27 am

Firstly well done Ken, outstanding input into the judging, well done :-)
And congratulations to the winners, all excelllent images that deserve the honour of being chosen.
Also well done to everyone who participated, i really enjoyed looking at some wonderful entries :-)

stuegan

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:52 am

Congratulations to Alain - when I look through each competition I always try and pick out what I personally think should be the winner, even though I'm not the judge, and in this case I really liked the eventual winner and the photo in second place so I'm glad to see them both there.
Ken - thanks again for your feedback and constructive criticism. It has been very interesting to read your thoughts on the photos above and I appreciate the time and consideration you have put into it.
Cheers,
Stu

ee66

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:56 am

Congratulation to the winner and to everybody entering the contest.
A special thanks to the judges and their careful work on each image.
I am really learning a lot from these contests... :)

c_schweizer

66th contest

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:30 pm

Congratulations to all on the short list! I could not tell, who I find the best; I just think, you have all done a splendid job! Greetings, Claudia

treas

Congrats to Alain and all who entered

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:52 pm

Boy what a hard pick. With that said, there was something about Alain shot that captured my attention and curiousity.

Alain, this contest is going to be a tough one to follow. Looking forward to finding out the subject.

jimcritchley

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:42 pm

Well done everyone, a hard job in a very hard contest.

hiero

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:13 pm

Dear Ken,

thanks so much for your thoughtful judgements. I am honoured that my photo made it this far in a field with so many great images. There's a lot to learn and enjoy in these contests. I hope the next one will be another nice challenge. Alain, good luck in you role as the new host!
Jeroen Bosman, glad to be on Pbase
http://www.pbase.com/hiero

grompem

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:32 pm

I think Ken did a superb job of justifying his selections and set a new standard for judges to come!

wwcsig

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:07 pm

grompem wrote:I think Ken did a superb job of justifying his selections and set a new standard for judges to come!

Yes - please make sure he wins again ;-)

What an honor to be selected for the finalists and what a scary thought of having to try and match his wonderful work of thoughtfully and extensively critiquing every entry to the competition.

Great job Ken and thanks so much!

andrys

Post Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:13 am

wwcsig wrote:
grompem wrote:I think Ken did a superb job of justifying his selections and set a new standard for judges to come!

Yes - please make sure he wins again ;-)

What an honor to be selected for the finalists and what a scary thought of having to try and match his wonderful work of thoughtfully and extensively critiquing every entry to the competition.

Great job Ken and thanks so much!

Scary indeed to win a contest after Ken's turn! But I already commented.

(Also, I liked the Highway 61 Revisited reminder ! One of my all-time favorite intros there, Ken.)

evledstudio

Post Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:04 pm

:D Since the two last editions, there is some " Salt & pepper " in the contest again ! Thanks guys and congrats. Also to the winners, they are definitely the best of all (very good) contributions. :D

Next

Board index PBase Show and Tell Winners- 66th Show and Tell Comp: The Decisive Moment