Board index PBase Questions and Answers Browsers

Questions and Answers

Browsers

Ask if you need help using PBase.
ilanphoto

Browsers

Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:47 am

Not really part of Pbase but the thought was born here so I will post the question.

I am using as many others, IE from MS I was wondering if those that are using other browsers would like to share their experience. Which browser would you recommend?

Thanks
Ilan

alangrant

Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:23 am

I generally use Mozilla. I like it a lot, the tabbed browsing works very well (with IE I used to end up losing track of the different browser windows I had open on the desktop).

Now and then I do come across a site that just doesn't work with Mozilla (this usually seems to be in situations where user input is required, e.g. some kind of form). So I do have to resort to IE from time to time.

I also tried Opera but the free version had annoying advertising - whereas Mozilla is genuinely free.

Having done some messing around with CSS, I also like the fact that Mozilla's implementation of CSS is much more predictable than IE (more consistent with standards and fewer bugs). However this isn't really an advantage to the end user. Unless the entire world abandons IE (we can dream...) it doesn't really help anyone designing in CSS either, because you still have to make your site work in IE even if it means using horrible hacks.
Alan
Travel Photos - http://www.pbase.com/alangrant
Balkanology: Explore Southeast Europe - http://www.balkanology.com/

srijith

Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:32 pm

Given the recent security scares assocaited with IE, I recommend that anyone who can move away from IE should do so.

I would suggest the Firefox browser. It is part of Mozilla projects. However, do note that to keep things simple and small, some plugins that you take for granted as being 'where-you-need-it' are not bundled with Firefox. You will need to download them seperately.

Opera is good if you don't mind the text ads from Google in the free version or if you have the money to fork out for a registered version.

ilanphoto

Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:53 pm

Thank you both for your replys
I am now writing this message with fire fox and I have some problems
first and most important, my pbase pages arn't showing up as I am used to see them. The space around the thumbs that in some galleries I have as a diffrent colour are suddenly very big. The second is that I have hebrew in my site and in IE I managed to get it aligned to the right with <p class="right">
in fire fox it elignes to the left. The header I have in my root gallery also looks very bad

It also seems to be working slower
But after all the news about IE it is better to work with this :D

castledude

Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:26 pm

You also might want to use Advant browser. It is a free addon for IE that gives you tabs, strokes, middle button features and other Mozilla like features. Nice for those times you need IE (like for updates) but miss the extra stuff of Mozilla.

http://www.avantbrowser.com/

tradescant

Anyone use Safari on Mac OSX?

Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:14 pm

Thinking of switching to an Apple Mac and OSX after years of Windows/Intel hell. Does PBase work okay on the Apple browser?

Advice appreciated.

Cheers.

David.

alangrant

Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:56 pm

Ilan - I sympathise with your layout problems, it is annoying to get everything working just right in one browser only to see it fall apart in another. I have nearly always found that if things don't work in Mozilla, it turns out to because of an error in my CSS. Whereas working in IE it is sometimes possible to get away with loose coding without anything appearing to be wrong.

In your H1 style you have specified a height of 21px and a font height of 48px. Obviously this means the font won't fit within the H1 borders. It appears that IE must ignore the height 21px to fit in the font. Whereas Mozilla assumes that you mean what you say and uses the height you specified.

You have a stray comma in your specification of p.right, this might be the problem with the right-aligned text.

I don't fully understand why Mozilla ignores the specification that the table of thumbnails should have a width of 80%. But it seems to be something to do with the fact that the thumbnails DIV is left-floated. I think adding a width to .thumbnails will get the effect you want.

Another thing people may not be aware of: IE6 can interpret HTML/CSS in "loose" or "strict" mode. If you look at the top of any PBase page you will see
<!DOCTYPE html
PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
SYSTEM "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

Note the loose.dtd bit - this tells IE6 to use loose mode, also known as "quirks" mode, which preserves some of the, ahem, "features" of earlier versions of IE. If the PBase team ever decided to change the doctype to strict, the pages would probably look a lot more like they now do in Mozilla.

Hope this is of some help to you or to other people working with CSS on PBase. I'm going to link to this post from the HTML/CSS forum as it's turned out to be quite relevant to CSS.
Alan
Travel Photos - http://www.pbase.com/alangrant
Balkanology: Explore Southeast Europe - http://www.balkanology.com/

annayu

Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:44 pm

David, pbase works fine with Safari in OS X.

ilanphoto

Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:29 pm

Alan
Thanks for pointing me in the right directions. It is just after 1 Am here so I will not even try to look at it, I will give it a try over the week end

Ilan

juliano

Mac OSX and Safari

Post Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:48 am

annayu2 wrote:David, pbase works fine with Safari in OS X.

Thanks annayu2. I've been reading that some sites don't work so well in Safari and really that is about the only thing stopping me switching (oh, that and and the lack of ready cash! :-> )

David.

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Browsers