Board index PBase Questions and Answers Private images appear on random picture!!

Questions and Answers

Private images appear on random picture!!

Ask if you need help using PBase.
Anony

Private images appear on random picture!!

Post Fri Oct 03, 2003 7:25 am

about a week or two ago I reported a breach on Pbase privacy system to one of Pbase personel by email, I haven't received any reply and the problem hasn't been solved until this moment.

Sometimes ago someone that I know left a message in one of my private galleries, I never told her the URL. I had no idea how she did that, later I found out that the private images from supposely hidden private galleries appear on the "random picture" on Profile page!
This is a serious issue, someone can view the entire hidden galleries, have access your full size images, or whatever ...

Even after I logged out from my user name, the images still appear.
For obvious reason I can't link the URL to the problem site (it's random picture).

Slug, or who ever, please adress this one asap. I am aware that you must be bussy with other things, but this one shall not wait anylonger

regards

goldcoin

Post Fri Oct 03, 2003 3:15 pm

Hi

this may not help, but are you sure you unchecked "view for public, or something like that. There is a box, which doesn 't appear until after you upload, it's on the edit page of the largest version of the pix.

You must still uncheck this box, even thro you are placing them into a private gallery......

hope this helps
GoldCoin

Anony

yes

Post Sat Oct 04, 2003 12:10 am

goldcoin wrote:Hi

this may not help, but are you sure you unchecked "view for public, or something like that. There is a box, which doesn 't appear until after you upload, it's on the edit page of the largest version of the pix.

You must still uncheck this box, even thro you are placing them into a private gallery......

hope this helps
GoldCoin

Thank you Goldcoin,
I did unchecked the "public view" box in the gallery, but not for every individual images (I have too many of them). I should have mentioned that in the original post. I am surprise to see how little reply this post generates,
I guess this is not such a big issue for most pbase users, but I am sure it is for others

-Pbase suporter-

Anony

Re: yes

Post Sat Oct 04, 2003 12:16 am

I hope I wont get replies such as "uncheking the Public view image only hides the gallery but not the images", it's common sense hiding the gallery should also hide the images... thank you

dennispersson

Post Sat Oct 04, 2003 11:45 pm

I also want to get this issue sorted out. I have made a gallery private and I only want relatives and friends viewing this album. Is this album viewable for others in random pictures or in the search function?
And the only way to see the private galleries is to now the name of the private gallery, am I right?

I tried to uncheck the "This image is publicly viewable" but the result of that is that my friends that know the URL to my gallery sees an empty gallery. Only I can see the content of the album.

Please sort this out for me! :D

thresholdprod

Post Sun Oct 05, 2003 12:34 am

If you make a gallery private
You have to give out the url for people to know its there

That will hide the gallery from the recently updated list for all users and recent list for your profile.This will keep the images from showing up in the random images.

If you had uploaded the images to a public gallery or the gallery was set to public and changed, it will take the servers time to catch up and cycle through to reset them as private.

anony

anggrrrrrry

Post Sun Oct 05, 2003 5:47 pm

thresholdprod wrote:
This will keep the images from showing up in the random images.

Thresholdprod: it might be true that the images won't show up on the random images, but it certainly appear on your PROFILE random images, and i find this unacceptable :(

Dennispersson: related to your comment, that is exactly what I intend to do , I have presentation galleries (which are open to public) and private/friends gallery (which are not open to public)-unfotunatelly they appear on the profile random picture. :evil:

Now... I havent' checked if Pbase team have resolved the problem up to this moment (doubt it cause the lack of response from them), is the Pbase team even monitoring this forum? or should I (or we) go to "feature request forum?" :?

More to my first post, the friend I mentioned in my first post even found out the thumbnails for the private gallery (She wont tell me how though) . The random pictures that appear on the profile page only lead to one image, so there must be other way to view the complete thumbnail of the private galleries. :shock:

juliano

Post Mon Oct 06, 2003 8:18 am

This is not good at all. I just bought a 100 MB space from Pbase but now I consider to cancel it because of the security issues for my private galleries. It's unacceptable to pay money for a online photo gallery where you can't upload private pictures and keep them private.

PBase crew, please fix this problem ASAP or tell us when it's gonna be solved. Thank you !

Best regards

/Dennis

srijith

Post Mon Oct 06, 2003 9:23 am

slug and team are working on this password protected gallery feature and the last I heard, it should be in within a couple of weeks. Maybe he has not mentioned it here since the timeline might still be fluid?

juliano

Post Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:13 am

Anonymous wrote:This is not good at all. I just bought a 100 MB space from Pbase but now I consider to cancel it because of the security issues for my private galleries. It's unacceptable to pay money for a online photo gallery where you can't upload private pictures and keep them private.

PBase crew, please fix this problem ASAP or tell us when it's gonna be solved. Thank you !

Best regards

/Dennis

Glad to know this post has caught some attentions, I also would like to have the problem resolved soon. Thanks

Anony

drop a line

Post Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:08 pm

Anyone else wants this problem resolved soon?? Please drop a line :!:

juliano

still a problem

Post Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:05 pm

Anony wrote:Anyone else wants this problem resolved soon?? Please drop a line :!:

As of today 10/13/2003, this is still a problem.
a pbase crew contacted me about this a couple of days ago, apologizing for the problem. The random picture was dissabled temporarily, now it's up again but the private pictures still appear. I hope it will be solved soon. there ought to be option to display random picture or not in the profile page.

fabrix

Post Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:46 pm

This privacy is very important for me. So I will not take any account to Pbase if they not resolved the problem. :twisted:

srijith

Post Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:46 am

Hol don guys. Password protected galleries are on the way - so I am told.

dennispersson

Post Thu Nov 06, 2003 9:24 am

Password protected galleries? is there any hope for this in the near future? Or do we have to wait for a couple of years? =)
Last edited by dennispersson on Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Next

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Private images appear on random picture!!