Board index Equipment Scanners Review your film scanner? Thanks!

Scanners

Review your film scanner? Thanks!

tastyorange

Canon 9950 vs Epson 4990

Post Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:06 am

Anybody compare this Epson vs Canoscan 9950?
I CANNOT make up my mind! I use a Mac.
They both seem to get great reviews (CNET gave the Canon a so-so review, but the consumer reviews were great!)

mesullivan

Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:39 pm

I recently purchased a Nikon Coolscan V ED. To say I am happy with it would be an understatement. The Canoscan 9950F is great and since finally figuring a few things out I actually get better scans with the Canon software than the laser soft.

The Canon does great scans but lacks the detail the Nikon can pull out. For quick work of multiple slides/negs and just for small prints or the web, I use the canon but when I want large prints or max detail I go with the Nikon.

jackthrt3

transfer film to digital

Post Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:28 pm

:idea: why not have it done for you. 35mm Slide Scanning to DVD or CD
Your slides will be converted to digital format using the state-of-the-art Nikon Super COOLSCAN 5000 ED. This professional-grade slide scanner can create JPEG or TIFF format images up to 4000 DPI. At no extra charge we provide Digital ICE4 filtering on every photo slide order. Digital ICE4 was designed to take out dust and scratches on your 35mm slides.

http://www.dvdyourmemories.com/scanning.html
Jack Bieser

barisaxer

Post Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:53 am

I have ahd a 4990 epson for a while. I had 4*5 to 35mm. I can get good 13*19 from 35mm and good as big as my epson 4800 will go on anything bigger so am thrilled. 16*24's look great from my hassy negs and 4*5 BW work. I just use the epson software and after the initial learning curve think it is very workable. I just posted this week here on pbase and you can find me on a search for Kevin Hart any of the stuff without info is a scan on the 4990. If they are much improved over this scanner they are great as this is already a great scanner. I will add more stuff later have not had the time in the summer to do so.

greggan

A few scanner reviews

Post Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:23 am

I run my own phot related web place and have made a few scanner reviews you can find them here: [ Scanner reviews ] In my reviews of a Canon canoscan 8600F and a Canon 8800F I also compare those two scanners against the Canon 9950F (disscontinued) and Canon FS4000 (also disscontinued).

You can also take part of some tweaks and tricks where I try to squeze out the most possible quality from the Canon 8800F scanner doing some radical stuff like a glass less scanning experiment :twisted:

Enjoy/Stefan :D
www.stockholmviews.com

captain_superlekker

Re: Review your film scanner? Thanks!

Post Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:48 pm

I use a Epson perfection V500 - for the money, it is pretty impressive. Software not the easiest to use for custom scan, but one gets great quality from scanned negative, although it takes ages to scan them. If you spend a lot of money on your digital camera, why not spend a decent amount ona decent film scanner.

bsmooth

Post Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:34 pm

I would love to get a Coolscan V, but there very hard to find. I may have to settle for a Coolscan IV instead.Even on EBAY there going for way more than there worth,which was around $600 originally.Anyone sees a Coolscan V please let me know.

cricky09

Post Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:58 pm

im gonna get one pretty soon budget is less than $300 will i get any great quality scanners at that price?

hevezimj

Post Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:16 am

My vote is for the Epson RX 620.

It came out in 2006ish, and was quickly discontinued because it was "too good," and it was priced way below what top shelf scanners were at for the same quality scans.

If you can pick one up used or NOS, you will be very happy!

willrountree

Post Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:00 am

I have a Epson V600 that I bought a couple years ago and never set up! I just started my project and scanned about 4 carousels and 5 rolls of 35mm B&W negatives plus some 124mm slides and negatives, works well but slow! The 125 slides & negatives were done 3 at a time and cropped as singles These negatives were 60 + years old!

Previous

Board index Equipment Scanners Review your film scanner? Thanks!