Board index Equipment Scanners Flatbed with seperate 35mm film scanner or combo?

Scanners

Flatbed with seperate 35mm film scanner or combo?

adiasangel

Flatbed with seperate 35mm film scanner or combo?

Post Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:18 pm

This is probably a very big newbie question. I am 100% newbie photographer and in love with scarpbooking.

I have both film (35mm) and print photos I would like to scan into digital formats, so I can archive them and create extra prints (8x10 or smaller). My main concern is that the pictures are crisp with good color from the negatives with little correction through photoshop or other software.

I would like to keep the price under $200 for everything. So do I look for a cheap flatbed and buy a separate 35mm film scanner or try one of the combo deals with the 35mm build in? Any recommendations brand wise? Thanks, Carla ;)

wolfeye

Scanning negatives is an art

Post Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:46 pm

The biggest thing you would discover in scanning negatives is that getting a scan to match an existing print is impossible. I didn't say "nearly impossible" for good reason - experience. There are too many variables. In any case, I have both a flatbed scanner which has film-scanning capability and a dedicated film scanner. The dedicated scanner is of more recent vintage, and does a much better job, but it's a one-trick pony. A flatbed scanner is undoubtedly the best, easiest, most flexible option for what you want to do. If you start with a good 4x6" photo, one that's nice and sharp, you should be able to scan it and make an acceptable 8x10" print.

There aren't many, if any, scanners that will do a great job for under $200, but take a look at Epson and HP offerings. Canon too, if you can find them.

adiasangel

Re: Scanning negatives is an art

Post Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:01 pm

wolfeye wrote:There aren't many, if any, scanners that will do a great job for under $200, but take a look at Epson and HP offerings. Canon too, if you can find them.

Thanks. Glad you mentioned Epson. I was looking at the Epson V200 because of some good reviews I have read about quality.

Board index Equipment Scanners Flatbed with seperate 35mm film scanner or combo?