Board index Equipment Scanners DiMage Scan Dual IV Question - PLEASE HELP!!

Scanners

DiMage Scan Dual IV Question - PLEASE HELP!!

littleatom

DiMage Scan Dual IV Question - PLEASE HELP!!

Post Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:51 pm

I purchased a "DiMage Scan Dual IV" 2 years ago & used it to scan a large number of slides & negatives. I recall that it wasn't easy to get it going (wish I'd taken notes on what I did to make it work!) I packed it neatly back into its box in a "like new" manner and put it away. Now I have taken it out to use again, (it remains in "like new" condition), but can't get it going. The power light is on and has (finally!) stopped blinking. However, the Eject button will not respond. I have tried going through Photoshop "Import" and cannot get the Eject button to function that way. I have also tried simply importing the non-existant image, but get a "Please set holder properly" message. I have reinstalled the software from the disc, and then again off of the minolta site. Have spoken to Sony and they want me to send it in, at a cost of $111.

Any ideas on how to get this thing running again? The Instruction Manual does not cover this in the very limited "Troubleshooting" section. Seems so simple! Not a $111 question!

Or is it even worth it? Anyone have any recommendations on a great consumer priced replacement slide scanner that works with Mac?

FYI: I am on a Mac PowerBook G4 w/ OS 10.3.9

THANK YOU!!!!

thazooo

Post Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:10 am

On windows machine...should translate to Mac
Have all software installed.....plug the scanner into usb port......power up scanner........start Dimage program.....at this point you can open the door of scanner to insert film holder. Open the door only to the 1st. notch, if you open it all the way the scanner will think your going to use aps film holder and do nothing with the 35mm film holder.

littleatom

DiMage Scan Dual IV Custom Wizard Resolution & Size Sett

Post Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:58 am

Thank you, thazooo! I did get it to start working and the door WAS the main problem. I was just being way too delicate with the mechanism, actually.

New question, though:

I have been trying to custom scan 35mm slides at 16bit w/ Resolution input & output each set at 800dpi, and image size approximately 8"w x 5"h. I have gone into the "Custom Wizard" and finally been able to set 800pi for both input and output, but the size won't go higher than Input & Output W1.46 x H.97 (inch setting) - which is just tiny! If I go higher on the inches, the Resolution input resets itself to 3200dpi, and the output width in inches won't even go above 5.85 anyway. It's like trying to fit down the alternate corners of a too-tight fitted sheet on a mattress - you get one down and the other one pops up.

Anybody know how to override all of the settings and make your own custom adjustments?

Thank you so much!
margaret in brooklyn

thazooo

Post Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:04 pm

Pixels are Pixels, I always do my scan at 1600 or 3200 ppi and then transfer to a photo program to manipulate.

With the minolta software, in the scan utility, not quicky scan.....do a index scan. In your settings column change view to ..inches. The input size is always the same, this is set by the size of the negative. You can vary input scan resolution and output scan resolution to get the size image your looking for. Since the size of the neg and the scanners scanning resolution are limited
I doubt you'll get the output at 800ppi at the size you want. Pixels are Pixels.

Inkjet printers print best in the range of 240-360 dpi, depending on your printer model. An output scan of 300 ppi is all that's needed for a good print.

With the minolta set to 1600 ppi as input and output set to 300 ppi, you'll get a 5x7 print image. Set to 3200 ppi input and 300 ppi output, you get a 10x15
print image. From this point transfer to a photo program and adjust as needed.

Hopes this helps.

economism

Post Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:38 pm

Here's one possible cause.: The door, which has to be lowered to insert the slide holder, MUST BE RAISED BACK UP as far as possible (to the bottom of the slide holder) or the machine will refuse to function.

It's an incredibly simple thing, once you know that, but there is NOTHING in the literature to warn you about that quirk.

I wasted hours of trial and error and was on the brink of taking a hammer to it when I discovered that. I've been happy with it ever since.

There are some other quirks, but they are well explained in the reviews on Amazon.

Board index Equipment Scanners DiMage Scan Dual IV Question - PLEASE HELP!!