Board index Equipment Scanners Canon 8800F Canoscan scanner mini-review

Scanners

Canon 8800F Canoscan scanner mini-review

wolfeye

Canon 8800F Canoscan scanner mini-review

Post Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:36 pm

The slothlike medium format scanning speed of my ancient <grin> Epson 2450 scanner fueled my desire to upgrade. Owning a Nikon Coolscan 5000, I didn't want a dedicated 35mm scanner, nor an expensive one like the Epson V700/750 so I went with Canon's new 8800F scanner.

Setup was painless. Running Windows Vista, I plugged in the cable, power cord, and put the CD in. I installed the software in about 5 minutes. I turned the power on and put in my first set of 120 negatives, Fuji Reala taken with a Rolleicord III. I used the auto-scan function to see what would happen, and voila! In a short time I had my three 120 frames scanned. They turned out pretty nice, as you can see from this shot:

I'll post some more if anyone is interested.

One note of confusion - you can't seem to select anything but "35mm Film" in the software. On auto it will detect the film size properly, but you can't specify this before you start scanning. Odd. In any case the scanner is nice and fast.

Oh, and the included Photoshop Elements 5 is KEWL. It has this background remover tool. Click on a few foreground points, then a few background points and it magically rextracts your foreground subject. Totally amazing.

wolfeye

Quick zoom comparison

Post Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:43 am

Between a 35mm negative scan from the 8800F at 4800 dpi (interpolated) versus the Coolscan 5000's optical 4000dpi. Interesting how close, and how far different, they are.

greggan

Canon canoscan 8800F full review now on line!

Post Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:25 pm

I'm in the middle of a full review of the 8800F from Canon
I will go deep in tho this scanner to reveal all possible capability.
I will also try to tweak it to further improve the results.
You can find the review here : Canon 8800F review

john990

Re: Canon canoscan 8800F full review now on line!

Post Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:53 am

fantastic quality!
this is quite an old post, sorry to bump- but is there a way to get the review you created?
I would love that....
thanks!

adain21

Re: Canon 8800F Canoscan scanner mini-review

Post Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:49 am

Thanks for taking the time to help, I really apprciate it.

--------------------------------------------------------------
SNMP Scanner

Board index Equipment Scanners Canon 8800F Canoscan scanner mini-review