Board index Equipment Scanners Scanning both negative strips and rolls

Scanners

Scanning both negative strips and rolls

ranis

Scanning both negative strips and rolls

Post Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:05 pm

Hi, I like Plustek scanners from what people say on reviews, I am ready to buy either Plustek 7200i or 7300 (not sure yet). The thing is that I have lots of cut negative strips, but also lots of rolls of uncut film. I don’t want to cut my film rolls at this time.

My question is can I use plustec to scan uncut negative film rolls? Slow scanning time is not a problem as long as the very high resolution satisfies me, however is it mechanically possible to insert a whole roll frame by frame?

I know Pacific Image PF3600 scanner has an auto feed option for processing film rolls at once, but everybody’s been complaining from the high level of noise in the images, so I’ve given up on them. Quality comes first, then all other extras. What would your advice be about a decent scanner that can handle uncut film? Thanks.

wolfeye

Nikon Coolscan 5000

Post Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:24 pm

Beautiful scans, and has bulk slide, APS film, and Roll film adapters available. 4000 DPI. I have a recent B&W scan in my film gallery for example.

ranis

Re: Nikon Coolscan 5000

Post Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:53 pm

wolfeye wrote:Beautiful scans, and has bulk slide, APS film, and Roll film adapters available. 4000 DPI. I have a recent B&W scan in my film gallery for example.

I've looked it up online (too bad film scanners are not sold anywhere but online, so one couldn't go and check for real) and because it's twice the price of the most expensive Plustek I didn't order it. The only plus I saw in the Coolscan 5000 was the ICE4, however the Plustek also has some scratch removing system, besides my negatives are well kept and are all in good condition with no dust or scratches.
Can you load a 36 frame roll into the Nikon and let it autofeed&scan it fully? That could change my mind about it.

wolfeye

Re: Nikon Coolscan 5000

Post Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:40 pm

ranis wrote:Can you load a 36 frame roll into the Nikon and let it autofeed&scan it fully? That could change my mind about it.

Yes, with the optional roll film adapter, you can load and scan an entire roll.

Board index Equipment Scanners Scanning both negative strips and rolls