Board index Equipment Scanners negative scanner

Scanners

negative scanner

mccollum

negative scanner

Post Sat May 31, 2008 11:03 pm

We are looking for a negative scanner and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions what to look for.
Thanks!

isolaverde

Re: negative scanner

Post Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:45 am

Help us to help you - tell us the particular film sizes you want to scan, roughly how many - and some idea of how much you want to spend!

Peter

mccollum

Post Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:01 pm

We want it for 35mm. Basically just to scan all the photos we took pre-digital. Wedding, 1st child, etc. Didn't want to spend a LOT of money but wnat to make sure it is pretty good quality. Would consider paying more for a better quality.
Thank you!

isolaverde

Post Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:34 am

Hi there, and thanks for the extra details.

I've been pleased with the neg and slide scanning I've done with my Canon MP970 printer/scanner/copier (about £180) - some of the results are here: http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/mp970

Its capabilities seem to fall between two of their flatbed scanners, the Canonscan 4400 (£60) and 8800F (£120) although it lacks their dust and dirt removal capabilities, which you may need if your negs haven't been cared for very well!

I've read many glowing reports of Epson's V700 (£350) and, for better results still, there's the Nikon Coolscan LS50 - a true film scanner (£550+). Both have implementations of the ICE system for scratches, dust and dirt removal, but cost much more than I wanted to spend!

As they were closer to my budget, I did also look the Plustek Opticfilm film scanner range but in the end opted for that Canon's simplicity and convenience over any improvement they might have given.

Hope that helps - do ask again if you find a possible purchase, and if you've other qs!
Peter
PS Seems you're just down the road from my hometown, Norwich.

Board index Equipment Scanners negative scanner