Board index Equipment Scanners Nikon Coolscan V ED lack of resolution

Scanners

Nikon Coolscan V ED lack of resolution

tamerlane57

Nikon Coolscan V ED lack of resolution

Post Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:52 pm

I have a Nikon Coolscan V ED for over a year and have not been able to make a good 8x10 image. I can make a good 4x6 and 5x7 but thats it. Very disappointing as the reason I purchased it was to have good resolution and sharp images. I hope I am doing something wrong, otherwise there is not really any reason to use this anymore. Here are my settings: Color management=Adobe RGB 1998; Positive color slide; calibrated RGB; only have digital ice on; File size:36.2 mb; w=2898, h=4368; output:w=0.72, h=1.09. This was my last scan. Software=Nikon Scan 4.02. Any help is greatly appreciated.

isleofmanmotorsport

Re: Nikon Coolscan V ED lack of resolution

Post Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:25 pm

I have a Nikon Coolscan IV (see post 3 Oct 35mm film scanner) and have been using it for a number of years. To increase sharpness for an 8 x 10 print try scanning with the digital ICE setting and the unsharp mask switched-off. The setting for an 8 x 10 inch print, first set the priority for the Crop to "Keep this output size" and type in W: 3587 x H: 2870 pixels (ie 10 x 8 print) and this should give you a resolution in the region of 360 dpi and a file size of 30MB. Scan photo and use Adobe photoshop for colour correction and to selectively increase sharpness as required. For a 10 x 12 inch print the resolution may fall to 300 dpi although the file size may increase to 45MB. The 10 x 12 inch print fits the normal 35mm frame better than a 8 x 10 print. When printing the software may crop the photo to fit as some of the image is outside the boundary of the print. The conclusion is that do not try to print 8 x 10 inch print or larger unless you have a very good (sharp) full frame 35 image and this different from the digital peeps.

Happy scanning and printing.

tamerlane57

Re: Nikon Coolscan V ED lack of resolution

Post Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:37 am

Thanks for the tip. It did help. However, I have found what I've been looking for. After spending a marathon of time on the line with the Nikon tech last night, sending him images of my problem with lack of resolution, setting every setting imaginable they reached a decision. "My problem is noise . . . (recommended a particular noise reduction system)." I tried it but it was very complicated. Went on the internet and found Noiseware. Checked it out with Dpreview.com. Good product. It's a life saver for me. Now I can make images much bigger than 8x10. Just using the trial version now but am going to buy the pro version probably tomorrow. It's a miracle for me. I scan Kodachrome 64 and now I can keep on doing it. So, unless it's just a problem with my scanner in particular, I would recommend Noiseware if you want to make large prints.

Board index Equipment Scanners Nikon Coolscan V ED lack of resolution