Board index Equipment Scanners Nikon Coolscan 5000

Scanners

Nikon Coolscan 5000

snel

Nikon Coolscan 5000

Post Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:42 pm

Good Afternoon

I was hoping someone could possibly assist.
I am currently scanning 1000st of old film and thought i make it the files by defualt about 5 meg, can rescan at higher reselolution at a later time if i want to make use of the photo.
So I set my setting to
Keep the filesize to about 5 mbytes.
And resolution to 4000

ONce i went threw about 4 rolls of film i opend a few in photoshop to start working on them, and noted the my image size is only 1 x 2 cm so I can forget about printing it at all at that size
So I thought okay let me decrease the resolution since my file will need to probably be allot bigger to deal with the resolution, made sure my image was set to 100 % and changed the resolution to 1300
Opend it in photoshop and still my image size is 1x2cm. so if i go print on a 10x15 page, it wont at all fit, and if i say fit to paper, it pixelate so much cant see a thing,

I have no idea which way to go. wich ever resolution i use with the size of 5 mbytes, i stil get images of 1x2 cm

I have 1000 of strips to go threw.. and dont want them too big, take up too much space, but yet can print if need to with a good resolution.

Has anybody encountered this, or am I doing the completely wrong.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Kindest Regards
N

zps

Re: Nikon Coolscan 5000

Post Wed May 29, 2013 3:37 am

Try this link, I am sure it will be helpful to you. Good luck.
http://www.scantips.com/calc.html

Regards hughb.

gareth_m_jones

Re: Nikon Coolscan 5000

Post Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:47 pm

Hi,
I have been using a Coolscan 5000 for quite a while and scan all my images at 4000ppi except I don't have storage problem so they are large uncompressed NEF files - about 50mb. However the 35mm slides I am scanning at 4000ppi come out at 1.0 x 1.5 cm images and to create a file for printing I simply resize to 300ppi and the print size e.g. 6x4, 10x8, etc. 300ppi is the default print resolution. I get exhibition quality prints up to 18x12 on my A3+ printer.
Regards
Gareth M Jones

Board index Equipment Scanners Nikon Coolscan 5000