Board index Equipment Scanners Keeping others from printing your pictures

Scanners

Keeping others from printing your pictures

qleap

Keeping others from printing your pictures

Post Wed Sep 10, 2003 5:26 pm

A new PBase member who is starting to scan and post pictures wrote me to ask how to prevent other from printing her work. Here is my reply:

I like to post pictures that are 800x533. This allows people with high resolution monitors to enjoy the detail of the photograph. I compress the picture to 60% quality for jpg to save space and speed up downloads. It doesn't seem to affect the image quality too much.

A Kodak brochure on digital photography suggests the following minimum standards for prints:
1 Megapixel (1200x800) = 5x7 print; 2MP = 8x10; 3 MP = 11x14.

I find this too strict and have produced excellent prints from much lower resolution images. A bigger factor for prints is the quality of the printer and the paper. Costco or Sam's Club will produce beautiful inexpensive prints from low resolution images. Someone could go to my PBase gallery, download an image and print an 8x12 that would look great (image quality wise). If they want to just download the image to view their PC, it is even worse since printing requires more pixels and better image quality.

So how do you protect your pictures? You can lower the size you post to 500x333, lower the image quality (highly compress the image), put a giant watermark across the whole picture (please don't), or discretely put your name in the corner. Except for the last suggestion, the other suggestions will reduce the viewing enjoyment of others.

The final thought is philosophical. Why do you want to prevent others from printing your photos? Unless you mark your gallery as private you are hoping that others will come and enjoy your photos and maybe leave a kind comment :D. If someone downloads your picture and prints it out it means you have given that person something he/she especially enjoys. It is true that you are not justly rewarded and maybe it is stealing, but I am assuming you are not using PBase to sell your works and you are not a professional photographer. The person who downloads your picture and prints it without permission would probably never pay you for it if it was offered for sale. There might be a rare case where someone downloads PBase pictures and sells them as their own work at an art show or swap meet, but that person is probably downloading Francis Toussaint's or some other great PBase photographer's work.

I have had a surprising large number (6+) of request from people for permission to use my photographs. Some have been for web sites. Others have been for educational purposes. If someone is kind and honest enough to ask permission I have always granted it for a nominal fee or for free if it is educational. I do ask for proper photo credit. I don't use PBase to make money, so I'm not afraid of others ripping me off. I use PBase because I like to show off my work, I love it when someone leaves a positive remark on my galleries :D and because I enjoy looking at other people's work.

portaloha

Post Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:00 am

Thanks for your valuable information. I enjoy your galleries and photo colections. It's always nice to receive compliments and requests for permission to use the photos.

I've seen so often that photos are "stolen" by direct linking to private BLOG's (like myspace.com). What is your insight on this touchy subject?

---------------
Check my photo collections of PortAlohaSomeone

sergiopadura

Post Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:03 pm

Based only in my own experience and knowing that the web has plenty of smart guys looking for images for free I think the only way to prevent images to be used without permission is by a huge and disturbing watermark or by Bigimarc or similar © softwares. Size doesn´t matter, everything could be useful for these pirates.
As mentioned PBase is a "public gallery" and most of us just want to show our work. Image pirates search here for free for their websites, blogs and presentations and as I personally experienced even for print and publishing, I knew it after a publisher used one of my photos here for a book, the print was rather small, 5 cm wide, but enough for me,... fortunatelly they called me after. In some other cases serious and ethical people asked for permission, but again, knowing that made me think how many smart guys used for free my images posted here. Is OK, if they want to play, but they will make my day if I discover them because copyright infractions has "huge rates", I mean to 10.000 $, we´ll go to courts and they will finance my next dreamed photo trips to Patagonia or the Coral Reef in Australia.

nzmalamute

re " Bigimarc "

Post Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:58 pm

I think he meant digimark,but have you seen the price of that Digimark ??,forget it .!!

richard82

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:05 pm

I've posted many of my photos on different places of the internet, and i'm quite sure they are being used without my permission on other people's sites.
i find it almost impossible to fight this phenomenon.
i feel that the best i can do is just add my personal logo to each photo, so at least i get some credit for it...

Ritchie from TheReefTank

Board index Equipment Scanners Keeping others from printing your pictures