Board index Equipment Film Cameras Banging my head against the wall !!! Elan7NE or EOS20D???

Film Cameras

Banging my head against the wall !!! Elan7NE or EOS20D???

joncastle

Banging my head against the wall !!! Elan7NE or EOS20D???

Post Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:45 pm

Don't want to rehash to big "film or digital" debate, but I need some ideas on wich way to go in my need to upgrade my Rebel G. I am trying to market my prints at local "starving artist" shows, so money is an object.
I can comfortably afford the Elan, although some people have made me afraid that I had better start hording film stock before it goes the way of the 8-track. As for the 20D, along with all the bells and whistles I think I need ,I can swing it, but it may make my plastic money meltdown.
Plus if I go 20D, I really hope it will pay off with some income dollors, and I won't be stuck with a "really nice$$$$!" camera. So guys and gals, gonna leave it up tp you. Best six out of eleven in this popular opinon poll will make up my mind. Thanks for the help! Also, as a sidebar, I have been told Kodak has dropped alot of film grades and is doing no more R+D on film stock. Is film going the way of the 8-track tape and the vinyl L.P. and should I start filling up the fridge?

llung

Post Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:06 pm

You already have a film camera. If money is a problem, then why bother upgrading. I'd understand if you were getting a pro body, but an Elan 7 is basically another plastic camera with a few more features. I'd suggest you go for the DSLR. (And that's coming from somebody who LOVES shooting with film...)

My flatmate got a used Elan off of ebay for about 200 bucks. You could go for a lower end Canon DSLR (like the 350D) and pick up an Elan as well. Don't get the 300D - my flatmate has one and the delay between shots and between shot and review is excruciating.

I don't know what will happen to film, but I'd be interested in knowing if anybody else has heard anything. God forbid they get rid of film - what would I do? Would I actually have to start lugging that stupid digital camera around?

btw, in case you didn't know, black and white sucks on digital.

cheers,
Lucas.

nicole_compte

Digital or film camera??

Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:05 am

I totally understand your position! I am currently in photography school. I came with a Minolta middle of the line film camera, but soon realized the limitations I had. I was confronted with upgrating to a higher end professional film camera OR digital. I broke down and bought a Canon 20D with 3 very nice lenses. The reason for this decision was to learn the digital while in school and for the profession I want to get into...it requires digital. However, I am still a HUGE fan of film. Down the road, I plan to buy a canon film camera so I can use the lenses I bought for the digital...EOS 3 (high end $800.00+/-)

I'm also financially in the hole. I took a huge leap of faith in hopes it will pay off in the end. If you are working, the debt will deplete. It will be a wise investment.

I agree with the other gent, why upgrade to a film camera that only has a few more features than your current camera? Really think about what do you want your camera to do??? Is it your camera or lenses that limit you????

Black and white does suck on digital. Also, if your into infared you can't shoot using the Elan 7(at least it's advertised this way). Using digital, get an infared filter.

I wouldn't suggest getting an Elan 7NE vs getting Elan 7N. That eye control is a ridiculous feature for $50-$100 more. great place to shop: http://www.keh.com or http://www.bhphotovideo.com

Film stock up...yes, I would stock up the fridge. More and more GREAT films are disappearing!

I hope this helps.

nicole :lol:
http://www.pbase.com/nicole_compte

jim_panzee

Post Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:08 am

llung wrote:
My flatmate got a used Elan off of ebay for about 200 bucks. You could go for a lower end Canon DSLR (like the 350D) and pick up an Elan as well. Don't get the 300D - my flatmate has one and the delay between shots and between shot and review is excruciating.

cheers,
Lucas.

From the camera in the "Off" condition to the first exposure takes a minimum of 3.5s. This is with the lens in manual focus mode. The time will be longer if the lens has to first achieve focus, so a realistic estimate of camera-on to first-expose time would be 4 seconds.
In continuous shooting mode the frame rate was measured at 2.5 frames per second for a maximum of 4 shots, consistent with Canon's specification for the Digital Rebel. Using several "normal" speed CF cards (Viking 512MB, Simple Technology 64MB) the Digital Rebel took 14 seconds to fully write 4 Large-fine JPEG frames shot at ISO 100 (average file size 1650 Kbytes). However you don't need to wait for all 4 files to finish writing before you can shoot again.

That's the spec for the 300D. The 350D takes half a second less (3.0 F.P.S.), I wouldn't call that excruciating, and unless you are taking shots at a F1 motor race its not going to make a great deal of difference, and lets face it the guys who take these kind of pictures are carrying 30,000 pounds worth of gear not 300.
Yes the 350D does have an edge over the 300, its lighter, but the picture quality is the same.

The other most important thing to remember when changing from film to digital is the end product, read this, and it will help a great deal.

http://www.photo.net/equipment/digital/choosing2/

JimP.
JimP.

"So little time, so much to do, so many places to visit".

paullantz

film camera

Post Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:10 pm

I already have a 20D but I am looking at getting a film camera now that my FTb is a bit old.
I bought another FTb on ebay but it did not function properly. Have thought about getting another used camera but also interested in the Elan 7N.
Why?
Mainly because I want to have a film camera, I want a camera that works well for manual focus, I want to shoot a few slides and maybe even a few roles of black and white.
I have thought about other brands (eg. Nikon FM3) but would like to be able to use current EF lenses.

So, wondering what the 7N is like? On ebay I sometimes see EOS 3's for sale and have thought about that camera as well.

I dont like the idea of a "plastic camera", I liked the feel of the FTb and would like something at least as mechanically sound. I don't care about auto focus.

comments welcome.

dang

Post Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:37 pm

When I started back into photography I first bought another film camera. It was only a few weeks untill I was kicking myself. I bought a 300D before the 350D was out, and I still don't regret it. Some of the things (mirror lock up, mainly) that I had concern over hasn't realy been a problem.
As far as slow.. I've yet to fill the buffer using a good quality, high speed CF card. Plastic.. I've known people who dropped the 300D and it still worked after. Like anything other people's may have damage. Wouldn't be different if it were metal.
There's always going to be something new that is going to be better a year from now, with any Canon DSLR you'll get good use for the long run.
The best thing... Not having to wait to have film processed. And the expense of film/processing goes into buying more goodies for your system. Reguardless of what happens to film, you do yourself an injustice by not having a good DSLR due to the number of shots you can take without additional cost. In the long run, it pays for it's self.
If you need to save money and get more, you can even find nice used one's at KEH.com. Making if even more affordable on a tight budget.
Just keep clicking no matter what you use. :P

blaised

Film

Post Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:36 am

I don't know if film is going to be obsolete soon, but the W-Mart I go to used to have racks of it, and then all of a sudden nothing. :(

dang

Post Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:42 am

Right.. I couldn't find film for my medium formats anywhere near. My easiest solution was to purchase online, and stock up. But that wasn't something I wanted to do. And since then, I've noticed the same thing with 35mm film around this area. While it should be a long time before everyone stops making it, it's getting more difficult to find. If you go on vacation it's much easier to take along extra CF cards, than bags of film. But if you forget your memory, you can find it in almost any corner drug store. Once you start shooting digital, it's hard to consider going back to using only film. But there's always going to be certain things that film does better. There's need for both, it's not an either/or. imho :wink:

canonmania

Canon EOS Elan 7NE

Post Mon May 01, 2006 1:17 am

I bought this camera new a few months ago, and one is rite the E part is a waste of money, As far as the camera I love it,. Film is the only way I will go didie they say wont hold up, the colore fade away etc. Negatives are forever so with film I will stay :idea:

jim_panzee

Post Sat May 13, 2006 5:38 am

Apart from my film cameras, I also have a 300D which does everything I want of it.
I don't look at how long it takes to take a photograph at the length of time the camera takes from switch on to clicking the shutter. I think more of composure and set up, some of my shots will take up to five minuets or even longer before I press the shutter.
If you want to go round taking snap shots then thats OK, but 90% of the shots will be crap anyway, and that's an even bigger waste of time. :roll:

JimP.
JimP.

"So little time, so much to do, so many places to visit".

phschallenger

Post Tue May 16, 2006 3:34 pm

llung wrote:Don't get the 300D - my flatmate has one and the delay between shots and between shot and review is excruciating.
You do know that a 300D Is a 10D with a plastic shell correct? I use the cracked firmware which unlocks the Custom functions menu that is locked at the factory.

the 300D is an excellent choice for anyone on a budget. I shoot airshows for a private company. Instead of dragging my 20D and my 10D to airshow, I take my 20D and my 300D as the 300D IS a 10D, but with a much lighter plastic body.

If you plan on spending money, dont buy last generation, film is great, but everything goes the way of the Dodo eventually. :)

mad_monte1

Post Sun May 28, 2006 4:27 pm

I would get the 20D. Pick up a nice used film body which are easy to find now. I still like to shoot slide film , but the wait..... then scan..... I shoot for a few reality outfits and they want their shots right now and easy to resize for web use , then send them a CD for printing. You Can have your cake and eat it too....

Board index Equipment Film Cameras Banging my head against the wall !!! Elan7NE or EOS20D???