Board index Equipment Film Cameras should i buy it?

Film Cameras

should i buy it?

uplinktheamatuer

should i buy it?

Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:30 pm

hey, im a student looking for a new camera, thing is, im rather limited on funds.... so i looked around my local scene and found someone willing to sell a pentax spotmatic with some extra lenses (<-- is that proper). the full description is:

- pentax spotmatic SLR (circa the mid 1960's) body with a super-takumar 1:1.4/50 mm lens ...it's been cleaned and looks like new, it has a brand new battery and comes with the original protective case...however, the light meter may be acting up

- a macro-takumar 1:4/50mm lens which also comes in a protective carriyng case

- a zeniton 1:2.8/135mm lens with protective carrying case

- a cable shutter release

the pentax spotmatic body is a screw-mount, and so all the lenses listed are screw-mount lenses.

so, good deal? all i need it for is highschool newspaper. and if i leave out the macro lens its down to $100

uplinktheamatuer

Post Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:29 pm

come on, guys!
Operation Photoshoot
Weapon of Choice: ElanII
Amunition: 35 Mill'
Scope: 50 Mill'

ckimmerle

Post Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:15 pm

It's hard to give this sort of "buy", "don't buy" advice since every individual has different tastes and preferences.

There's nothing inherently wrong with using an older film camera, but be careful to check that everything works consistantly. Aperature blades of older lenses have a tendency to stick due to 40-years of use, and dust can easily find it's way into lenses over the years.

The one thing that should raise warning flags is the "acting up" camera meter. How are you going to get the correct exposure without an operable meter? Sure, there's trial and error, but that's both time and supply consuming. Just be prepared for the extra expense of a meter.

Also, you might find yourself desiring a wider angle lens that the 50mm. No, I take that back, you WILL find yourself wanting one. That's more money out of your pocket.

My advice, if you're looking for a do-it-all camera, is to find an inexpensive digital, either used or new, with a 3x telephoto lens and has at least 3 megapixels. You should be able find something for a couple hundred bucks, which will probably be less than the Spotmatic gear will cost you over the long run.

Good luck,
Chuck

llung

Post Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:59 am

IMO, it doesn't sound like a very good buy. The spotmatic is a bit of a relic and you're just asking for problems. I would never buy a camera with a meter that's "acting up."

A point and shoot digital is not a bad idea, but if you're seriously interested in continuing with photojournalism, I would suggest getting a newer SLR. If you're interested in manual cameras, you can get an Olympus OM kit or Pentax ME Super kit for about the same price. If you want to get an autofocus film SLR, I'd suspect that you could get a Canon Rebel (film) or Nikon F65 for not much more. Actually, I have a Nikon F65 kicking about that works great but that I don't use. With the 28-100 lens, it's all you would need at the moment. If you're interested, I'll let you have it for a steal. Camera bag, too. Message me if you're interested.

uplinktheamatuer

Post Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:56 am

how much? oh, and the camera is in canadian dollars... email me details @ uplink911@gmail.com
Operation Photoshoot
Weapon of Choice: ElanII
Amunition: 35 Mill'
Scope: 50 Mill'

jim_panzee

Post Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:35 am

This may help you with the light metre problem I don't know.

The SPII has stop-down, match-needle exposure metering. You flip a switch on the left side of the lens mount, which 1) stops down the viewing lens to the aperture you've selected and 2) turns on the metering circuitry. There's a little needle on the right side of the viewfinder that goes from high (too much light, stop down) to low (too little light, open up). What I like about match-needle (as opposed to match-diode) exposure metering is that you can tell exactly how much light you need to add or lose. What I like about the SPII is that when you engage the meter, you automagically get Depth of Field (DoF) preview, something that even some expensive contemporary cameras don't have.

But having said that, For Photojournalism I would be more than inclined to go for a good P and S digital with a Hot Shoe fitting for a external flash, something like a Canon G3 or G5, this would be more useful for you, and not much more expensive if you buy S/hand.

JimP.
JimP.

"So little time, so much to do, so many places to visit".

Board index Equipment Film Cameras should i buy it?