Board index Equipment Film Cameras Best Film Type?

Film Cameras

Best Film Type?

emily
Site Admin
Site Admin

Best Film Type?

Post Sun Jul 27, 2003 6:26 pm

What is the best film? I've become a bit of a fuji superia 200 (100 sometimes) girl myself... but I think that's because it's easy to find and I usually have coupons. I think it gives good results, but I don't know what all is out there.

-Emily
(The Forum Goddess)

aerodread

Post Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:38 pm

Same thing right here.
but i'm quite a newby in analog (only 2 weeks :D)

if i have some more money i'll propably check out:
Fuji Portrait NPC 160
Fuji NEOpan 400 (black and white)
and i've heard some good things about llford films.

Does anyone know if there are films available that gives a lomo effect to your pictures. or films that have a "too high" contrast. just curious for special effect photo's.

mattbaobao

Post Tue Aug 05, 2003 3:19 pm

For those using Superia, you should try Superia Reala. It is a more expensive but it is sharper and has more contrast.

hyperfocal

Re: Best Film Type?

Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:31 pm

emily wrote:What is the best film? I've become a bit of a fuji superia 200 (100 sometimes) girl myself... but I think that's because it's easy to find and I usually have coupons. I think it gives good results, but I don't know what all is out there.

-Emily
(The Forum Goddess)

Emily,

This is a good reference site.

http://www.photo.net/equipment/film

hp

kwanyin

Post Fri Sep 19, 2003 5:33 am

I love Fuji film the most. They are the least expensive of all the commercial name brand.

Personally, I favor their Reala line (cheaper than their NPH/NPS line, a bit more than their normal consumer stuff. I use their NPS 160ASA when ever it goes into the outdated box at any of the local shops. ^-^ (being broke most of the time)

Fuji brags about their 4th layer technology aswell as their...hexigonal crystal thingie ^-^ on their film. The 4th layer is suppose to make the colour a bit more snappier.

Yu

mikishots

Post Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:48 pm

I agree with the choice in Reala. I had the chance to take some outdoor shots with a bit of overcast skies, and I was blown away by the colors...the blues and grens were amazing. It's definitely one to try if you haven't already.

ghecko

Post Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:32 pm

I've heard that by using slide film the quality of the photo is not as good? Is this true :?:

ray645

Post Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:13 pm

You should try some Ilford Pan F 50 a slow B&W film but its grain free with great greys and very very sharp

Ghecko,
I have found slide film to show a bit more grain (same ISO/print film) but the big thing is the exposure lattitude of print film, it is much wider with a slide film you only have about a 1/2 stop + or -
Last edited by ray645 on Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

mia_rosario

Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:16 pm

I too like Ilford. Does anyone use the Kodak Portra for portraits? How does it hold up for you? I've been told it's the best because it is true to skin tones? Any comments on that?

decloedt

Post Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:44 am

Before I went digital, I used to shoot slides pretty much exclusively, using Fuji Velvia and Provia. I just bought an Elan 7E and am getting back into film, so I asked a friend who works at a local camera shop to recommend some print film that would give me similar results. He recommended Fuji NPS, NPC (both 160 ISO) and NPH (400 ISO). I haven't used any yet, but I bought a few rolls for a trip next week. We'll see how it works out for me.

canadiancraig

Post Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:55 am

ghecko wrote:I've heard that by using slide film the quality of the photo is not as good? Is this true :?:

Quality will vary from film to film, but in general with properly exposed film, slide film is considered better than negative film. There is no colour negative film equivalent to Fuji Velvia 50 or Provia 100 for colour, contrast, resolution or fine grain.

ray645

Post Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:39 am

ghecko wrote:I've heard that by using slide film the quality of the photo is not as good? Is this true :?:

If by photo you mean PRINT this is 100% true, now if you are going to scan it for a digital print thats another story that I know little about

I can say that viewing a Velvia slide on a light table or properly projected onto a screen is just amazing!

mia_rosario

Post Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:49 am

The print will never be as good as the slide due to the generation factor,however, you will still get as good a print from slides as you would from neg. It's the same generation.

jamesbogue

A reply to Mia regarding Portra Film

Post Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:30 am

I have used Portra 160 VC in a studio setting for some portraits. With Studio flash, I find the skin tones to be vibrant, without false colors. I like it for that reason. As prints, the colors are saturated but not overly saturated. You can view some samples of these photos at:

Kodak Portra 160VC 120 roll
http://www.pbase.com/image/14460862
http://www.pbase.com/image/14461274

Kodak Portra 160VC 4x5 sheet
http://www.pbase.com/image/14461461

hope this helps - james

jefferey

Post Sun May 02, 2004 7:00 am

I know this will sound rude, so I apologize in advance if it's taken the wrong way.

As far as the best film type?

Stop asking questions and take pictures.

There's a lot of films out there, each with it's own differences and subtlety.

Each does something different.

I use Provia for people. Velvia if I happen to shoot nature. Astia for product.

BUT NOT ALL THE TIME.

What mood do you want to convey? use warmer films for warmer moods. Colder films for dreary moods. high contrast for impact. Low contrast for difficult situations...

The most important thing you can do is try something new.

You don't shoot the same thing every time do you? Then why do you use the same film for every occasion?

Everytime you buy a load of film, throw in something you haven't tried. Ask questions, but don't always take the salesmans opinion as gospel.

They're salesmen. Not necessarily photographers.

Good luck and have fun

Next

Board index Equipment Film Cameras Best Film Type?