Board index Equipment Film Cameras Canon EOS Elan 7NE or Canon EOS 3

Film Cameras

Canon EOS Elan 7NE or Canon EOS 3

tom_22

Canon EOS Elan 7NE or Canon EOS 3

Post Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:22 pm

I am willing to pay the difference to buy the EOS 3 if it is a much better camera than the 7NE. Could someone please help me decide with their opinions? Thanks.

vid64

Post Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:27 pm

Well, if you have to ask the question, the superiority of the 3 might just be lost on you... yes the 3 is better, better AF, better metering, better pretty much everything, but the 7 is still a very capable tool.

llung

Post Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:31 am

vid64 wrote:but the 7 is still a very capable tool.

... and you can probably get a used one for about 200 bucks.

ssahmed

Post Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:40 pm

The EOS 3 is a better camera than the Elan 7NE in many respects: very bright viewfinder, better AF, better build quality, etc.

But I would never pay full price to get an EOS 3. It would be better to get a used EOS 3 body.

That said, the Elan 7NE is a very capable camera in the right hands and has most of the features that one could ever want, and is a lot cheaper too.

ssparbanie

Post Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:01 am

I'm probably too late on this, but I'll put in my $.02 anyway...

I own both cameras, and the 7 has proven to be much more reliable. I've gone thru 4 copies of the EOS 3, one of which that died on me in the field. I finally got a good copy, but it took a great deal of frustration to get there.

There are certainly positives to the 3.. spot metering, lots of custom features, and a stronger build. The 7's lack of spot metering is why I kept going back to the 3. So, if you don't need those features, the 7 is a great 'bang for your buck' camera.

wolfeye

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:23 pm

I'm even later, but had to post to dissent. :) I had an Elan 7N (not E) and had the exact opposite experience. The 7N locked up, froze completely on me. I sent it in for service. TWICE. The idiots at the IL repair facility sent it back the first time, apparently w/o even checking the darn thing. I sent it the the other (NJ?) facility the next time and it was fixed, but by then I'd lost the faith and sold it once it was working again.

I've had a used EOS-3 for about a year now and have had not a single problem, in fact, I just bought the date back and a battery grip, expecting to be taking pictures with it for at least the next 10 years.

But I totallt agree, don't buy one new. A GOOD used one will run you $300 versus $800+ new. Unless a warranty means something to ya...

ssparbanie wrote:I'm probably too late on this, but I'll put in my $.02 anyway...

I own both cameras, and the 7 has proven to be much more reliable. I've gone thru 4 copies of the EOS 3, one of which that died on me in the field. I finally got a good copy, but it took a great deal of frustration to get there.

Board index Equipment Film Cameras Canon EOS Elan 7NE or Canon EOS 3