Board index Equipment Film Cameras I'm trying to determine the best Christmas Gift....

Film Cameras

I'm trying to determine the best Christmas Gift....

tom_22

I'm trying to determine the best Christmas Gift....

Post Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:37 pm

My price range allows me to buy either the Canon EOS 3 or the Nikon F100. I know that they are both excellent cameras but I'm looking for the one which is regarded as the better camera. I'm interested in knowing why one is better than the other. Thank you for your help.

vid64

Post Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:58 pm

Neither is 'better'. The better camera is the one used by the better photographer. Either one is more camera than most people would ever need. Now stop asking pointless questions and post some pictures!

tom_22

Post Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:03 pm

Thanks! I'm just trying to determine which I should buy, the cost of these camera's is not a small amount of money for me. I'm looking for peoples opinions to help me decide which way to go because I would imagine this camera will be in use for years to come and I would hate to regret the decision I make.

talleyfamilyphotography

Post Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:16 pm

Do you have any current investment in lenses from either Canon or Nikon? If so, go with that brand.

Otherwise, I can't honestly offer any particular decisions either way. I'm a Canon man, myself, but only because I shoot digital. When it comes to the film cameras, I'm at a disadvantage in this instance.

tom_22

Post Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:22 pm

I have no investments in either brand and I think thats mainly why I'm concerned in choosing the right one initially. Does either brand have better accessories?

vid64

Post Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:44 pm

Now you're on the right lines. Think lenses. You might be better off with a lower spec body and higher spec lens. e.g. an EOS 7NE + EF24-105 F4 L IS would be 'better' than an EOS 3 with the budget EF28-90 F3.5-5.6. Cheap glass on an F100 or a EOS 3 would be a crime.

tom_22

Post Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:54 pm

The price of the lenses is not going to be the issue. I am willing to spend the real money on the lenses, but I've been told not to go crazy spending money on the body. So in determining which body to get I've narrowed it down to the EOS 3 and the F100. If you guys don't have a preference between these two cameras do you have a preference between the brands?

vid64

Post Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:12 pm

OK OK! If I was choosing for me, it'd have to be the Canon. Why? Eye Control Focus. Oh, and the big pile of EF lenses sitting on the shelf next to me!

If anyone wants to buy me and EOS 3 for Christmas, please, go ahead ;-)

tom_22

Post Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:13 pm

Thank You!

llung

Post Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:29 pm

tom_22 wrote:The price of the lenses is not going to be the issue. I am willing to spend the real money on the lenses, but I've been told not to go crazy spending money on the body. So in determining which body to get I've narrowed it down to the EOS 3 and the F100. If you guys don't have a preference between these two cameras do you have a preference between the brands?

The EOS 3 is, I think, made of plastic. I have a f100 and it's a great camera. I got it off ebay, new, for less than 500 bucks. Oh, the eye control thing is pretty unreliable if you wear glasses (like I do).

tom_22

Post Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:26 pm

I've decided to go with the Canon EOS 3. My next question is what lenses I should buy for the camera to start off with. I am a beginner and I'm just looking to get the advice of more experienced photographers to make my learning process a little easier. Thanks.

vid64

Post Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:49 am

Lets have fun spending your money...

Money (and weight) no object: 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS, 50f1.4 100 macro.

Lighter, cheaper, just as sharp: 17-40L, 24-105L IS, 70-200f4L, 50f1.4, 100 macro.

Bargain kit: 24-85, 70-200f4L, 50f1.8

Or how about a set of bargain primes? Choose from 24f2.8, 28f2.8, 35f2, 50f1.8, 85f1.8, 100f2

All good kit - Then you'll just need to take some pictures!

tom_22

Post Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:04 pm

Because whatever lense I buy will be the only lense I will have on my camera for awhile I'm looking for one which is fairly versatile. I've been looking at the Canon Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Autofocus Lens. I would like to try many different types of photography; portrait, landscape, wild-life, action, and just for fun photography. Is this a good lense for what I am seeking?

Board index Equipment Film Cameras I'm trying to determine the best Christmas Gift....